Taurus Firearm Forum banner

help me make a .22 decision: River SR-22 or Sig Mosquito?

5K views 86 replies 35 participants last post by  NativeTexan 
#1 · (Edited)
help me make a .22 decision: Ruger SR-22 or Sig Mosquito?

Well, team, I got about $300 in Christmas gift cards from the relatives. I think I want to buy a .22 so I can start shooting again, and on the cheap. I have decided on the SR 22 or the Sig Mosquito.

I've had the Mark III (and it was amazing) and the Buckmark doesn't really do much for me, although I've shot it and think its every bit as accurate and nice as the Mark III. I kind of wanted a more conventional style of pistol this time. The Mosquito is my "go to" choice right now but I know reliability may be a challenge.

Also the ISSC pistol that looks like a Glock seems kind of cool, too. Any feedback on that one?

ETA: Decision made! See Page 2, pic to come.

#2 ·
Mosquito is made under license by GSG, FYI

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

Reactions: mingaa
#4 ·
Have a coworker who bought a Mosquito last spring. He loves it.

And contrary to somewhat popular belief, you do not need to use stingers or hi velocity to cycle a Mosquito. Regular 22 lr works just fine as long as it isn't a crap brand or quality ammo

#17 ·
Thus far, I haven't found this to be the case. I bought my wife a purple Mosquito last year, and it really shoots well with the Stingers, the Yellow Jackets, the very high velocity stuff. It gets less reliable when using Remington Golden Bullets, Winchester and Federal mid-range velocity ammo, and CCI Mini Mags. I'm hoping that it starts loosening up enough to where it will use regular ammo more reliably.

I've shot the new Ruger 22 and liked it. The gun really doesn't like unplated lead nose 22 ammo, but everything else functioned well.

#7 ·
Okay, didn't catch that River was a typo for Ruger. I just figured River was like a Chiappa or Rossi brand .

My boss has a SR 22 from Ruger and it is nice. Very comfortable grip on it too. It even fits in my big hands very comfortably.

Yet my boss who uses mostly sub compacts, hold it very comfortably too.

#9 ·
Hey RS.... when are you coming down to this neck of the woods again?

This is a subject dear to my heart. I have a couple .22's and have tried a few more. With a $300 budget you have a number of nice choices right now. I would not, if in your shoes, go the mosquito route. As you stated yourself, they have reliability problems regardless of individual reports of the opposite. I would also not recommend the ISSC. I have two of them (only difference between them is the color) and at times I enjoy playing with them. Never get tired of the comments at the range like "Wow, I never knew Glock made a .22!". I find mine to be very ammo selective and the magazines, when you can find spares, are hit or miss. It's a shame because CDNN has the ISSC guns for $199 in all colors.

Another fun .22 you might consider is the GSG 1911-22. GSG also produces the Sig 1911-22. The guns are duplicate and the only major difference is the GSG version is generally $100 or more less expensive than the Sig. Many people still believe that GSG manufacturers the guns for Sig but in reality Sig now owns GSG. The L&O Group, a Swiss Company that owns SIG Sauer, Mauser, Blaser and JP Sauer & Sohn purchased a controlling interest in GSG about July or August 2013.

Once again, CDNN is runningthe GSG labeled 1911-22's on sale for $269 and that includes the fancy target grade gun with the 5 inch barrel and the fancy grips. That is a very good price for that gun. It is the same weight and size as a standard 1911 and more than 80% of the parts are interchangeable with regular 1911 parts. Spare magazines are available and they are made of steel and very dependable. I am building a custom steel plate gun using the GSG 1911-22 platform as we speak. I have a GSG 1911-22 that I have put 2500+ rounds through with only one problem... after the first box of ammunition the guide rod broke. I called GSG (actually, at the time it was ATI, the importer of the gun), explained my problem and they sent me two new guide rods overnight! It had been a design problem (The end of the rod was plastic) and they were replacing all the rods with a metal version. After that the gun runs like a sewing machine!

Another choice is the Colt 1911-22 Rail gun. All Colt 1911-22's are on sale at (you guessed it!) CDNN for about $249. Personally, I prefer the GSG 1911 over the Colt. The Colt guns are reportedly manufactured by Umarex and the quality and finish can be spotty. I just want to let you know your options.

If you have any brand specific questions just let me know and I will try to help.

Here is the CDNN sale catalogue. When it opens just click the bottom right corner of the page to turn the page...

CDNN Sports 2014-3 Catalog

Don

#10 ·
I would reckon if you want to go shooting you should buy something that has cartridges for it in stock at your LGS everyday.

Reactions: treg
#12 ·
I agree with you completely.... you can have problems with any gun! It's what the company does when you have those problems that seperates the good from the not so good!

Don

#16 ·
Yes RS... the GSG magazines hold 10 rounds. You can also purchase after market followers that allow 14 in the mag +1. I use the high cap followers in all my GSG 1911-22's.

The GSG's also come with a threaded barrel from the factory should you decide down the road you want a suppressor. Follow the link I posted and you can look at all the different models of GSG 1911-22 that are on sale.

I will try to get some photos of my GSG Plate Gun up this afternoon!

Don

#18 ·
I have a ton of 22 handguns including the ruger sr22 and it is a gun I use a lot with new shooters reliable accurate 2 different grip sizes included its easy to take down and clean the only thing I hate about it is the backwards safety. It shoots every type of 22lr ammo I have tried in it

#20 ·
Easily the most used firearm in my collection is my SR22.

Between myself, my son, and his buddies, the SR22 is always in high demand.

Eats everything I feed it, accurate, reliable, easy to clean, and a ton of fun to shoot.

Ruger hit another 22LR home run with the SR22.

#23 ·
I really like my GSG 1911, I have no experience with the SR22.

#24 ·
I have a Mosquito. Mine has the threaded barrel, but I didn't it because of that. I had handled one at a gun show and it fit my hands. The Mosquito was high on my list, so when I found one on line at my price range, I jumped on it.
It has the features that I prefer in pistols. It is D.A./S.A. with an exposed hammer, has a decocker, and it has a rail which I haven't yet used. Maintenance is a breeze. It came with two recoil springs, one for standard loads and one for higher velocity loads.
I haven't handled an SR-22, so I can't help you there. It also seems to meet my criteria, it's just that the S.I.G. came up first when I had the money.

#25 ·
rifleshooter.... here is a picture of my GSG Plate Gun that I put together with after market parts on the GSG 1911-2 platform.

I have done a lot of work on the gun getting it to where I want it to be but I won't bore everyone here with the full story. I plan on doing a full write up on it, including what was changed and/or altered in the "other handguns" section.

It is enough to share the picture and while you may never want to take yours as far as I've taken mine at least you get an idea of what you can do if you decide to do it!

Don

#26 ·
Two or three years ago, right after I bought my SR22, one of my brothers bought a Sig Mosquito and brought it, along with some Winchester 333 boxes for some target shooting. He could not cycle more than 2 or 3 shots in a row without some sort of stoppage with the Sig. I thought he was going to blow a gasket, while my SR was singing along nicely on Remington Golden Bullets. We discovered if he used the Golden Bullets the Sig become more reliable and I shot the Winchesters with the SR and it was "mostly" reliable.. My other brother watching all this later bought his own 22lr pistol - a Ruger SR22.

#27 ·
My wife has a walther p22 (similar to the ruger) and a Mosquito. I like the mosquito better as the sites are better, and it has a bit more weight. The decocker is nice too. I compared the p22 to a sr 22 and they seemed similar.
Our mosquito runs well on remington thunderbolts and cci mimimags. It even cycles aguila sss, which it not supposed to do.

#28 ·
Well, gents, I've made a decision and bought a gun - my local Cabela's had a blued SIG 1911-.22 with some nice wood grips and the gun was marked at $325.

It looks really good - so I bought it. I am sure it's a GSG-made gun. It was mismarked at this price. I couldn't pass it up.

I will post a pic soon as I get it in the car.

#29 ·
My LGS has a west German p226 for $400. Too bad it's a 9mm

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.