Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
The Mosquito and the GSG 1911 guns both have high-cap capability. This is making the choice rather hard!!

The prices are really good, too.

I'm delighted to have a luxury of choice.

I really like my GSG 1911, I have no experience with the SR22.

I have a Mosquito. Mine has the threaded barrel, but I didn't it because of that. I had handled one at a gun show and it fit my hands. The Mosquito was high on my list, so when I found one on line at my price range, I jumped on it.
It has the features that I prefer in pistols. It is D.A./S.A. with an exposed hammer, has a decocker, and it has a rail which I haven't yet used. Maintenance is a breeze. It came with two recoil springs, one for standard loads and one for higher velocity loads.
I haven't handled an SR-22, so I can't help you there. It also seems to meet my criteria, it's just that the S.I.G. came up first when I had the money.

rifleshooter.... here is a picture of my GSG Plate Gun that I put together with after market parts on the GSG 1911-2 platform.

I have done a lot of work on the gun getting it to where I want it to be but I won't bore everyone here with the full story. I plan on doing a full write up on it, including what was changed and/or altered in the "other handguns" section.

It is enough to share the picture and while you may never want to take yours as far as I've taken mine at least you get an idea of what you can do if you decide to do it!

Don

Two or three years ago, right after I bought my SR22, one of my brothers bought a Sig Mosquito and brought it, along with some Winchester 333 boxes for some target shooting. He could not cycle more than 2 or 3 shots in a row without some sort of stoppage with the Sig. I thought he was going to blow a gasket, while my SR was singing along nicely on Remington Golden Bullets. We discovered if he used the Golden Bullets the Sig become more reliable and I shot the Winchesters with the SR and it was "mostly" reliable.. My other brother watching all this later bought his own 22lr pistol - a Ruger SR22.

My wife has a walther p22 (similar to the ruger) and a Mosquito. I like the mosquito better as the sites are better, and it has a bit more weight. The decocker is nice too. I compared the p22 to a sr 22 and they seemed similar.
Our mosquito runs well on remington thunderbolts and cci mimimags. It even cycles aguila sss, which it not supposed to do.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Well, gents, I've made a decision and bought a gun - my local Cabela's had a blued SIG 1911-.22 with some nice wood grips and the gun was marked at $325.

It looks really good - so I bought it. I am sure it's a GSG-made gun. It was mismarked at this price. I couldn't pass it up.

I will post a pic soon as I get it in the car.

Well, gents, I've made a decision and bought a gun - my local Cabela's had a blued SIG 1911-.22 with some nice wood grips and the gun was marked at $325.

It looks really good - so I bought it. I am sure it's a GSG-made gun. It was mismarked at this price. I couldn't pass it up.

I will post a pic soon as I get it in the car.
My LGS has a west German p226 for $400. Too bad it's a 9mm

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

Discussion starter · #30 ·
My LGS has a west German p226 for $400. Too bad it's a 9mm

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI
The HELL you say?!?? OH NO YOU DI'IN'T!! You just started a caliber war in the middle of my joyful celebration thread...

Moderators? BAN HIMMMM!!

The HELL you say?!?? OH NO YOU DI'IN'T!! You just started a caliber war in the middle of my joyful celebration thread...

Moderators? BAN HIMMMM!!
I have too many 9mm and don't want another.... ;D

Moderators? BAN HIMMMM!!
Or....instead of a caliber war, a "1911's should only be 45acp" war breaking out..... :D

Or....instead of a caliber war, a "1911's should only be 45acp" war breaking out..... :D
YES!!! YES!! YES!!!
let me go get my rope then!!!
theres going to be hell to pay now!!!!-----------------:icon_cussing:

Lets get that carrying cocked and locked thing straightened out too!

Like this?
good price on that Sig.
an Yes its made by GSG, been happy with mine except for the finish, the aluminum slide just will scratch in heartbeat, and don't any part of the hand or fingers touch the slide or you will have ejection problems. runs like a clock other than that.

Attachments

Reactions: rifleshooter
Discussion starter · #38 ·
I've got a pic in my phone... They gave me $25 off for applying for their credit card and another $20 for having to pay $10 for the background check! I really got it for $280 + tax.

The Ruger Mk 1/2/3 isn't "conventional"? I mean, it's been around for about 65 years now.

I'm sure the Sig is probably a good pistol, but I've never fired one. My Ruger Mk 2 is 1" at 50 yards accurate of a rest (has a scope on it) and my SR22, small as it is, will put 5 rounds that it likes under 2" at 25 yards (standard open sights) from a rest. The SR22 is quite reliable with most ammo that has enough power to cycle the slide, which would not include Federal standard velocity or Winchester bulk 333 box. The SR22 is fun and pocket portable, accurate enough for plinking and even shooting small game at 25 yards or under, but it's not as accurate as the bigger Mark 2, not even close. The Mk 2 design is inherently more accurate than a gun with sights on a cycling slide.

So, just depends on what you want it for and the accuracy you demand of it. I would suspect the Sig would outshoot the SR22 where accuracy is concerned, but I don't know that for a fact.

I wouldn't own a sig..or shold I say another sig. I had a p250 both my son and I shot it and it shot WAY low and to the left. So i read an article on the isg 2022(I think was the model) and they said it shot WAY low and to the right. WTH..they come out of the factory shooting low..like 3 feet low. Nope no sig for me,but its just my $.02

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.