Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:jiml:
Alright, I know this has been discussed at nauseum, but, I really need to find a lower front sight for my 40 OSS. I've tried everything else that I can think of and need to get this pistol hitting closer to a 6 oclock POA. Taurus says that I need to cover the target with the front sight (this works by the way) but i just cannot stand losing sight of my target that way. The pistol is accurate, but just consistantly low.

I went out shooting with some buddies this past weekend and they creamed me on the dueling tree with their CZs, XDs and Glocks. We even switched guns several times. The loser was always the one holding the OSS. This is purely a result of the low POI vs the POA for this weapon if you try to use a conventional 6 oclock hold.

To illustrate the problem, I went out tonight and shot 3 rifle targets with the OSS. The point of aim for each target was the GREEN circle. Note that the point of impact is always several inches low.

With each target I used a different ammo to eliminate the ammo as a factor. Please pardon the shot grouping as these were done freehand at 20 yards.

Can anyone suggest a replacement sight for this gun?

I like the gun way too much to give it up but I have to get this problem solved. HELP!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Do you have the factory front sight?

Taurus Customer Service has various height front sights for SOME of the models.

Do you already have an aftermarket sight? I had Firesights on 2 of mine (PT 145MilPro and PT640 Pro) and replaced them with the much lower HiViz sights.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do the HiViz sights fit the PT140 or the 24/7 G2 .45??

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I know there is a thread listing some Wilson Combat front sights that are available in various heights. I believe they are for the PT1911 and there is a small gap under the sight when used on a 24/7 or OSS, but you can pick your height. I don't remember which of our fine members has used this solution, but I know it works. Do a search on front sights, (I believe it was one of the threads about Williams Fire sights)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I have the same problem with mine.
At close range it is not much of a factor (<10 yards), but at 15 or 25 yards the front sight completely covers the target center.
I'm thinking of grinding it down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have the factory sights. I tried to find out if there was a lower sight available, CS didn't seem to interested in helping. They told me that I could send the pistol in, but there is likely nothing wrong with it. I was also told to cover the target with the front sight. That answer prompted be to say "thanks" and hang up.

Do you know if the HiViz front sight is lower than the factory sight?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can't wait till there's a handfull of aftermarket sights for the G2's..

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
The only thing i don't like about Taurus pistols is the severe lack of after market accessories. If it's not a 92/99 or a 1911, it's almost like a treasure hunt trying to find them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing i don't like about Taurus pistols is the severe lack of after market accessories. If it's not a 92/99 or a 1911, it's almost like a treasure hunt trying to find them.
Yeh Man... The lack of aftermarket accessories is the biggest Taurus handicap. I would like to see the Taurus factory step in and fill the void.

·
Registered
273 Posts
From the HiViz site:

TR2009
Taurus 24/7 front sight, resin overmold. Green or red.
Fits Taurus 24/7 and PT 111, 140 and 145 Millennium Pro pistols with dovetailed sights.
$44.05

1 - 12 of 12 Posts