Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit to being somewhat of a handgun snob (SIG for pistols and S&W for revolvers) but I just got back from a gun show and was VERY impressed with the two taurus revolvers I checked out...the model 85UL and the snubnose .44 tracker. They both looked like very high quality revolvers that woulod give me years of service. The model 85 .38 would be my wifes primary CCW and the tracker would be my camping/hiking gun (a role currently filled by my S&W 28-2).

I'm not to recoil sensitive and plan on mainly loading the .44 with either heavy .44 specials/light .44 mags. I guess I'm looking for some member input to push me over the edge and take the plunge into two tauri!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've had my M85 for 3+ years without any issues. It runs as good or better than the K frames I've owned in the past. I have a friend with a Sig Pro 40 that shoots just fine but its no better than the Taurus guns I have/had.

Don't for get that Taurus is the company that started the Lifetime Warranty for the industry. Yes, Customer Service could use some work but they're still there. If Taurus was junk, Smith never would have upgraded their's.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I have the 4" Tracker...it is nice ..been following all the posts on these, and have not read any problems...heard alot of good things about them though..and it is my hiking gun ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do it! I'm on my third Taurus revolver and second 85 SSUL. It's one of my two primary carry guns and sometimes I carry both of them at the same time. (The other is an old S&W M13 3" RB.)

One word of warning: Because it is so light and easy to carry, the 85 UL will kick loaded with +P defensive ammunition. My brother prefers shooting his Ruger Super Redhawk with full house .44 Mags to shooting my little Taurus.

ECS

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Elm Creek Smith said:
One word of warning: Because it is so light and easy to carry, the 85 UL will kick loaded with +P defensive ammunition. My brother prefers shooting his Ruger Super Redhawk with full house .44 Mags to shooting my little Taurus.

ECS
:thumb: :guns: :shooter: :clap: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quality, price, warranty, light weight, very concealable. There is absolutely no way that you could go wrong with the purchase of the Taurus 85UL!!

·
32,533 Posts
wnycollector. As long as it is about the guns and what works for you go for it.
We have room at the in here for everybody. There are many who have other brands,makes and models. It's not about what you have as what works for each individual on a case by case basis.

As you can see by perusing the revolver threads here or at the general gun forums there are plenty of satisfied Taurus revolver owners out there. Many are at the 10-20 year mark or over and still going strong.

Have an older 85CH. And yes, the +P will rock you but there are techniques for handling that. Posture and shooting positions deal with that too.
158 gr LSWCHPs are what I use in mine. Remington and Winchester are good loads. So are the 125 g.-135gr. JHPs in +P. There are 110gr. standard pressure loads at the least that give a good level of protection if needed.

As some of the other staff have pointed out in the past, Buffalo Bore has 158gr.LSWCHP both in +P and standard pressure that are excellent picks.Softer lead and gun powders that don't reach extreme pressures and burn more efficiently are the secrets.

Mas Ayoob's authored Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery for 2008 is just out. Any of these books authored by him, Chuck Karwan, or others have how to handle the high pressure loads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts