Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 605 but my wife has taken it over so I just bought a new M66. The dealers at the gun show were quite adament about not removing zip ties even for inspection
before a purchase. When I got home I notice that my cylinder doesn't lock up in the same manner as our 605. The cylinder will spin freely round and round ( in one direction)
but not the other. This seems weird to me because after loading the 605 I only have to rotate cylinder slightly before it catches and wont turn either direction. After loading
I can spin the cylinder so a round does not line up with barrel. I tried this with gun empty and it appears that is self alignes the cylinder when dry-firing. Does anyone else
have a m66 that does this? Is this normal?

·
Registered
73 Posts
All of the double action revolvers I've seen lock up when the cylinder is in the frame, in both directions. Either the spring that holds the stop in place is weak, the stop is over sized by a bit, or the cuts on the cylinder are not wide enough to completely catch the stop.

I'd look at the stop first, and personally file it down a bit (equally on both sides and VERY small amounts) after stripping the pistol. You would want to use very fine sand paper or stone, and it needs to stay as flat as possible. However, you may not want to go down that road. If that's the case, back it goes to Taurus or a local smith.

It's part #44 on this list:

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/parts/66SS4.pdf

One thing I've learned about weapons, never buy one you can't touch or run through it's functions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts