Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a proud new owner of a Taurus PT640 Pro as of a week ago and this is my first personal firearm. I spent 3 hours cleaning it the night i got it, and i shot 80 rounds through it the next day, cleaned it again after that, and noticed this. I pushed it off figuring it is "breaking in" and continued on, and i decided to clean it again (i use m-7-pro btw) before i went to take it out again today and i put about 100 rounds through it without a problem, and while i was cleaning it today looking at this again its just bothering me and i would rather ask before i worry and send it back to taurus if this is an issue. I dont believe i am under-lubricating as i am generous but not too generous with the lubricant but it just seems like this is what would cause it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S - these pictures were taken before i cleaned it tonight.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I cant see any pics, just "x's"

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I can see the pics and see where your concern is. I think the area where the bluing is slightly worn is normal wear and tear but the gouging doesn't look good and ultimately might leed to something hanging up. Are there burs anywhere on the frame side? Something looks like it's biting into the slide at some point in the action.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The area inside the smaller circle is caused when the slide pushes the disconnector/trigger bar out of the way. It's not bad now, but it's an area to keep an eye on. On the other side, it appears you have a burr on the mini frame just a little forward of the magwell that seems to correspond to the mark. A little work with a needle file to knock the burr off might not be a bad idea. I had a couple spots on my PT145 that appeared during break in, and for the most part they wore to the point they were going to and settled down. Always a good idea to keep an eye on those kinds of things, but it doesn't look like any huge problems. If the slide starts getting difficult to remove, the area inside the small circle is the place to check. Here's some more info on it - PT145 slide getting hard to remove? Here's the fix

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After i shoot there is small amounts of burring. the only time it was giving me trouble during an action movement was the other night when i broke down to clean it, ever since has been fine while sliding, etc.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I'd definitely get rid of that little burr. While it may not do much harm in that location, it's not going to do anything any good, either. If it was mine I'd file off just the burr, being careful to only remove the burr. If you don't have needle files, Craftsman makes a decent set for not too much money. They come in real handy. JAT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd definitely get rid of that little burr. While it may not do much harm in that location, it's not going to do anything any good, either. If it was mine I'd file off just the burr, being careful to only remove the burr. If you don't have needle files, Craftsman makes a decent set for not too much money. They come in real handy. JAT
I will def. go pick one up tomorrow and get right on that, I was just worried that my new toy was damaged due to my lack of knowledge cleaning a brand new gunked up pistol!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I will def. go pick one up tomorrow and get right on that, I was just worried that my new toy was damaged due to my lack of knowledge cleaning a brand new gunked up pistol!
It's always good to pay attention. Just for grins I took my PT145 apart, and I have a little wear mark in the identical place as the 'big circle' mark on yours. That happened the first couple times out, and I kept knocking the burr off 'till it quit doing it. Which didn't take too long. I've got about 1500 rounds through it, and it hasn't gotten any worse since the break in period. I guess that's why they call it break in - sometimes you've gotta break 'em a little. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's always good to pay attention. Just for grins I took my PT145 apart, and I have a little wear mark in the identical place as the 'big circle' mark on yours. That happened the first couple times out, and I kept knocking the burr off 'till it quit doing it. Which didn't take too long. I've got about 1500 rounds through it, and it hasn't gotten any worse since the break in period. I guess that's why they call it break in - sometimes you've gotta break 'em a little. :D
Lol, yea it did it the first time out too, it jammed on round 79, i was using federals at the time, im now using 145g winchester which i like alot better

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I took mine apart again, and I changed my mind about the burr. Still knock it off, but it isn't what caused the scratches on the underside of the slide rail. The marks on the mini frame are caused by the barrel settling in. The marks under the slide rail are probably caused by the back of the slide release and possibly the slide stop itself. Got the same marks on mine. Nothing to worry about in that location, as that part of the slide doesn't really do much. You might check the slide release and the slide stop (or take down pin, as some folks call them) and make sure you don't have anything obviously wrong there, but again I think it's just normal wear.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did notice when i first purchased the slide release was very hard to press when the mag was in but has since gotten alot easier, ive been generous on the lubricant on the part of the slide with the marking and just wiping off the excess that seeps as i cycle the slide back and forth to work it in

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The thing that pushes the slide release up is actually the magazine spring, and they're kind of notorious for being real stiff when they're new. I leave my mags loaded when they're new, and unload and reload them several times a day. Keeping them loaded helps the springs to take a set, and unloading and reloading helps to weaken the springs a bit. It also spreads the lips out a little bit, and all that stuff makes the mags run better.

As far as it being hard to push the slide release down when an empty magazine is inserted - they're normally harder to push down that way. If you think about it, when you normally hit the slide release it's over a loaded mag. There is no upward pressure on the release - just the tension from the recoil spring holds it in place. When you push down on it you only have to get it to slip out from under the slide. When an empty mag is inserted the follower is applying pressure to the bottom of the release, so you have to overcome that pressure too. I've had new pistols that were damn near impossible to release the slide with an empty mag inserted, but they loosened up. Sounds like yours is already loosening up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea thats about what I thought too, I was suprised how different the gun felt today than last time I shot it, was like night and day, I used Hoppes lubricant the first go-round, this time i used the M-Pro and i can tell the difference in how smooth everything is now. It will prob. be even better once i file that burr down tomorrow, if the weather holds up I plan on taking it out again.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Yea thats about what I thought too, I was suprised how different the gun felt today than last time I shot it, was like night and day, I used Hoppes lubricant the first go-round, this time i used the M-Pro and i can tell the difference in how smooth everything is now. It will prob. be even better once i file that burr down tomorrow, if the weather holds up I plan on taking it out again.
That's probably got more to do with shooting it, cleaning it, and relubing it than it does the type of lube. Slide rails always loosen up a bit during break in, as do most of the moving parts. I lube mine with Rem DriLube, but I'd be just as happy with regular old rem oil as far as function is concerned. I use the dry lube because it won't hold crud like oil will, it won't drip out onto my clothes, it doesn't have any discernible odor, and it doesn't really make any kind of a mess. It's got teflon in it too, so it's super slippery. I like it on the inside of my magazines, too.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Third pic looks like a burr.
Here is what my 24/7 looks like, same as yours but no burr.
SN850276.JPG
about 2000 rounds through mine, the rails are showing some wear, but not like yours.
SN850279.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts