Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dovetail fire sights arrived today, so of course I want to put them on.

Thanks to all the tips I've found on this site, I got the rear sight on with no problems.

I cannot get the front Heinie sight off my gun. What is the size of that incredibly small allen screw in there? I have a full set of wrenches down to 0.05 and that's too small, and nothing above it fits.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rwcreigh said:
i wonder why they are not the same size! make sure you post up some pictures after you finish.
I would LOVE to be finished. But, I have the feeling I'm going to have to go buy some tiny metric allen set to get this done...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I took mine off with a Dremel tool ... as have a few others. Hairdryer works, I'm pretty sure they are Metric (think that's what fit in mine, I had to go looking for it before I stripped it).

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have an allen wrench remember, Remember Taurus is based out of Brazil and some parts may be metric instead of American standard...

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry...but, i can't help with the size......there is no marking's on the hex key.....and there is no way for me to measure it......my fire sight's just came in today....will let you know how it goes......

·
Registered
846 Posts
They are metric, 2 should have came with the gun.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had to share my humorous experience so far. I happened to have a cheap laser sight kit which happened to have the correct size allen wrenches sitting near my PT145 when my Fire Sights showed up (yay!). I decided to just test how firmly the screws were in place, so I stuck the wrenches in and gave a little twist...

Fortunately, instead of the head of the wrench or the screws stripping out...I ended up with a corkscrew for the end of the wrench! It completely twisted around a time or two. Heating with a hair dryer let me crack the seal on the rear sight, but I'll need to be digging up another wrench to try on the front one again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have corkscrewed 2 allen wrenchs trying to move the front sight on my 111 . Its loose and moves about 1/8" back and forth but I cant get the screw to turn either way . Mine is a 1/16th allen .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Whew! Having trouble getting the front sight in. I'm using a plastic punch to avoid scratching the finishes...got everything out ok, got the rear sight in just fine, but the front sight's being stubborn. I might need to actually set up some actual tools to get it in correctly!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Everyone I've seen in here do this had to heat them, most seemed to be ok with the hair dryer meathod. I can check mine but I think it's 1.5mm. They have some kind of loctite on these screws.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any tips from anyone on fitting a really right front sight in place? I did a little searching and am considering lightly sanding the bottom of it to get it to slide in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok, I researched and eventually found an answer to this issue (dovetail being too tight to fit into the slot). I ended up taking the finest grit sandpaper I had on hand (mine was 400), put a drop of oil on it, and sanded the bottom of the sight itself a little bit. Wiped it down, tested, and repeated until I could finger-push the sight about 1/3 of the way in. After that, it tapped in as nicely as the rear sight had done!

Hope this helps someone else out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
o.k front sight size allen is 1.5mm....rear is 2mm.....my front sight screw was no problem to get out....but, the rear is a pain in the rear....trying to heat it but no luck so far......

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I had a smith tell me the heinie sights where tuff to get off the front was a real pain and he had all the right tools good luck he won't be in his shop till wed I'll watch the post and see how your doing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just turned on the wife's hairdryer on medium for a few minutes pointed directly at the sight (a couple inches off). A tight fitting allen wrench and a quick twist led to an audible snap as the loctite broke.

Not sure if this is what you're doing or not, but thought I'd share what worked for me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I was at the gun shop/range this week, I asked if they had a 1.5mm so I could get my front sight off. Their answers was:

"We did. We just broke it this week. On a Taurus"

HAHAHAHAHA

I'm going to have to find myself an allen key today and finish up this project.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts