Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys need some input. A local sale paper has this gun listed & the sole description is - "1911 45 acp with level sight, magazine and suppressor". I ran the ID # on Taurus site and was able to find out the gun is a "2007 1-1911 01NS". Ok I admit it I am lost. I cannot find any information anywhere for a 1911 01NS or 1911 NS. Obviously the owner has done some modifications looking at the sights but have not see a suppressor on a 45acp 1911 before. I'll take any insights ya'll want to throw at me. Oh the seller wants $499 for it.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Well, first that jobby on the end of the barrel isn't a suppressor, it's a muzzle brake. It's designed to reduce muzzle flip and aid recovery on the second and subsequent shots. Other than that it appears to be a standard PT1911 in blue or black finish, with aftermarket sights. If you are thinking about removing the muzzle break, you may need to purchase a new barrel bushing and retainer as most of those devices replace then original parts. I'd also want to confirm that the gun shoots where you aim it. Sometimes DYIers replace sights and the gun never shoots to POA again.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Compensators are easy enough to install. It just replaces the barrel bushing.

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
well at 500 bucks personally I would pass big time.
this is just my opinion, as Big Skiff has noted and additionally the sights don't appear to be a great fit for the pistol, they may work but they certainly don't appear to be a good fit, you can purchase a new Pt1911 for about 400 bucks or so.
I believe that this year model likely came with hienie Straight eight sights? and importantly as well these early model PT1911 's had a fair amount of problems with the ambi safeties coming apart.
as this weapon has been heavily modified the taurus warranty would be a problem, at best case you would need to pay shipping back to Miami for any problems with the weapon.

Reactions: leftcoastrebel

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is it my poor eyesight, imagination but does that front sight blade sit way off the deck? Looks like you can fold a matchbook in two, maybe three and it would still slip under it. Therefor agreed on the POA statement. That comp looks to be a generic Clark type set up where the barrel is threaded, bushing slipped on, then comp is attached with locktite. I could be wrong, hard for me to tell at that angle. Just rack the slide back easy enough to tell. I concur as far as passing on the "deal".

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I too think you should pass, based solely on price. Get a new one so you know what you're getting.

Reactions: Ebha and olfarhors

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Personally I would pass this one up, the sights look horrible on there. The compensator looks like it should be on a shotgun, and at the asking price you're not very far from owning a brand new basic G.I. model Colt. I'm all about making a firearm your own, which is why I stay away from anything modified that much outside of the factory. Another thing to remember is that all the modifications you see may not be all the modifications done, nothing worse than paying for something that could possibly be unsafe due to a backroom trigger job because the guy wanted a two pound trigger pull or something. Too many potential problems IMO to drop $500, if I'm paying that much for a gun it better be new or a heck of a deal for something worth way more.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I agree the pistol is worth less and you can get a new one for around 400.00 now days

jhp

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys I too thought it was a high price. I would rather buy new one for that price. Was more curious about the identification from Taurus site and then not being able to find any info.

·
22,830 Posts
Well, first that jobby on the end of the barrel isn't a suppressor, it's a muzzle brake. It's designed to reduce muzzle flip and aid recovery on the second and subsequent shots.
Do the bushing replacement brakes even do much?

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
Do the bushing replacement brakes even do much?
depends on what much is?
They add weight to the front end, they add "Tacticool Factor" and they make holster selection more of a challenge.
I have shot a few with them and honestly didn't notice much difference myself, I would imagine with a more powerful cartridge and maybe a more potent cartridge in 45 acp that they might do more.
I have only shot the 45 and 9 MM with them installed.

·
22,830 Posts
Yeah, the tacticool is obvious. :rolleyes: Holster fit isn't a problem for me. Sounds like the up front weight would do more than anything else to affect how they shoot.

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
Looks like some one not too talented tried to cobble themselves a "Pin Gun" for bowling pin matches.

It's hard to tell from the photos whether or not the muzzle brake is actually part of a custom match barrel, or the cheap barrel bushing type they used to replace the factory bushing.

At any rate the fit and finish is dubious. At that price someone is trying to recoup the money they spent for those aftermarket parts he installed.

I'd pass on it too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts