Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just picked up this revolver today. It has had a rough life as far as the finish goes, but is tight and functions well. I need some help figuring out what year it is from or how to go about getting parts/grips for it. It came to me with some metallic baby blue paint with a pink cylinder and grips. I spent a couple hours cleaning it up. I noticed it works perfectly when aimed level or down, but if I aim it up and pull the trigger, the cylinder won't rotate...any ideas? It is a .38 special with only a serial number, made in Brazil, but no model or anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Is it a Taurus or a Rossi? Can't make out the logo on the side plate. Pics of both sides of the gun would be helpful as well.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
First, Welcome aboard from the Gunshine State.
It appears to be a model 85. The 85 is a 5-shot J-frame sized gun. (Smith & Wesson m36, etc.). Look inside the crane area for a number.
Taurus has a "Find My Model" feature on their web page, but yours is probably too old for that registry. Here's that page anyway. Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
Good Luck.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

It's a little difficult to tell from the quality of the photo but it appears to be a circa 1970's model Taurus revolver. Parts may be a bit difficult to locate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey guys,

I just picked up this revolver today. It has had a rough life as far as the finish goes, but is tight and functions well. I need some help figuring out what year it is from or how to go about getting parts/grips for it. It came to me with some metallic baby blue paint with a pink cylinder and grips. I spent a couple hours cleaning it up. I noticed it works perfectly when aimed level or down, but if I aim it up and pull the trigger, the cylinder won't rotate...any ideas? It is a .38 special with only a serial number, made in Brazil, but no model or anything.
On the tilted gun issue, perhaps the hand spring or hand pin in your revolver are either missing or damaged. From the Taurus Revolvers instruction manual's exploded view of parts for small frame revolvers, parts number 33 HAND SPRING
34 HAND PIN. A gunsmith can help you with this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just go to taurus site and put in the serial number to identify:D it will tell you what year it was made and what the item # it is!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a 6 shot gun. It is stamped "Taurus Brazil." The only numbers I find stamped on all parts of the gun and under the cylinder swing arm is "545." When I took the side cover off, there is a cam style part that moves forward with each pull of the trigger. It will not move forward to contact the cylinder to rotate it if its pointed up. It almost seems like it needs something in there to keep it in position or pushed forward. If anyone could point me in the direction of some specifications and parts breakdown, that would be awesome! I have tried the Taurus site, typing in the serial number to look up info, and it gives me "no matches found."

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is a 6 shot gun. It is stamped "Taurus Brazil." The only numbers I find stamped on all parts of the gun and under the cylinder swing arm is "545." When I took the side cover off, there is a cam style part that moves forward with each pull of the trigger. It will not move forward to contact the cylinder to rotate it if its pointed up. It almost seems like it needs something in there to keep it in position or pushed forward. If anyone could point me in the direction of some specifications and parts breakdown, that would be awesome! I have tried the Taurus site, typing in the serial number to look up info, and it gives me "no matches found."
Hi,
If the part you refer to is the same one marked with a letter B in the fifth photo down on this page, (this photo), it is the "hand". There is supposed to be a spring loaded rod inserted into the trigger that pushes on the lowermost pin on it, pivoting it toward the cylinder. The rod and spring are visible in this photo, bottom right corner, just to the left of the trigger. They keep the hand pushed forward. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
By the way, the early model 80 Taurus revolvers had those grooves in the cylinder, like this one. Actually, there is a picture on this page that could be a younger version of your pistol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your best bet is to find the oldest 'Gun Trader's Guide' you can get hands on and look it up. I looked in a newer GTG just now..and not anything listed matching the pictured gun.

I have seen these before though listed as maybe a Model 70 or some-such. There is no serial number search for any Taurus/Rossi revolver that wasn't imported through Taurus itself..no lifetime warrenty either.

These were budget handguns in the day..'Saturday night specials' so to speak. Used to see these grooved-flute Taurus revolvers fairly often in pawn shops and gunshows. They are not particularly rare..but they share no parts commonality with the newer Taurus revolvers. Taurus continualy updating and improving the guns through the decades of production..even same Model number guns can differ substantialy on parts and appearance.

GunParts Corp has schematics that might give a clue as to whats missing internaly...however the schematics are rather generic

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,
If the part you refer to is the same one marked with a letter B in the fifth photo down on this page, (this photo), it is the "hand". There is supposed to be a spring loaded rod inserted into the trigger that pushes on the lowermost pin on it, pivoting it toward the cylinder. The rod and spring are visible in this photo, bottom right corner, just to the left of the trigger. They keep the hand pushed forward. I hope this helps.

That's a pic of Taurus lockwork that's like 5 generations ahead the OP's revolver. Totaly different lockwork.

I got to thinking about the hand not working...and know exactly what's wrong with the OP's revolver!...It's missing a tiny spring and plunger in the sideplate that pushes the hand into engagment. I had to do some repairs to my recently bought Century imported Model 82...it's an ancient and battered gun and closer in mechanicals to the pictured gun. The hand rides in the sideplate with it's little spring and plunger and is hammer-powered.

I bet somebody had the thing apart and lost the itsy-bitsy spring and plunger that keeps the hand pushed forward!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a pic of Taurus lockwork that's like 5 generations ahead the OP's revolver. Totaly different lockwork.

I got to thinking about the hand not working...and know exactly what's wrong with the OP's revolver!...It's missing a tiny spring and plunger in the sideplate that pushes the hand into engagment. I had to do some repairs to my recently bought Century imported Model 82...it's an ancient and battered gun and closer in mechanicals to the pictured gun. The hand rides in the sideplate with it's little spring and plunger and is hammer-powered.

I bet somebody had the thing apart and lost the itsy-bitsy spring and plunger that keeps the hand pushed forward!
Thanks a lot!! Is there any website or anyone I could call to get a specific model? That gun corps website wants me to pay for a schematic and I dont want to buy a few to find the right one. Then, I can order the parts and also see how it was meant to be. Thanks for all the help guys. I traded a guy stuff I paid $160 for, for this plus he gave me $100 cash. Got it with 200 rounds, holster and cleaning kit. So, it came out to about $60 I paid, then took the $100 cash and bought a Marlin model 783. I would like to find some grips for it or a rubber sleeve with finger grooves. Also, some of the ammo he gave me is lead tipped, would you guys recommend I not shoot the lead stuff or will it be fine? I didn't know if it would gum up the gun or not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The schematics are not specificaly for any model revolver..but rather for a group of revolver models(if that makes sense)...just go to the website and look.

Lead bullets are fine.

Any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to fix the revolver if he can get hands on some parts...which are such that maybe if a proper diameter spring can be found...a plunger could be made.

Can probably find a small grip sleeve..'Uncle Mikes' or similiar...unless you just get lucky..probably be hard to find grips.

Bob's Gun Parts might be a viable parts and grips source...?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just lookedd up the parts at GPC...sold out of handsprings and plunger...I looked at the model 80 schematic..which doesn't show the parts(not illustrated)..and I'm not for sure that's the right model...they do list some grips...but that will be a crap-shoot too as to which and what would fit an ancient Taurus!

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Good luck with your info quest and welcome to TA. You came to the right place for answers to your questions.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Yellow Facial expression Emoticon Text Smile
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA...

Experts abound here you should have all your questions answered soon....

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I'm thinking an old model 80 might be right or a very close relative of that revolver. Here is a photo of a Tyler T-grip which could resolve your grip search. Good luck!

Coop

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright guys, I've been having a hell of a time racking my brain on this gun. I have looked at schematics (none of them look exactly like mine, but have the same parts) and connot figure this out! Did Taurus ever have a safety feature that would make it not cycle the cylinder when the gun was pointed up or something? I really want to go and shoot this, but not until I am 100% sure its working as it should. Again, the problem I'm having is the gun cycles the cylinder when level and down, but won't cycle when pointed up. I took some more pictures of some numbers I find all over the gun and then the layout under the service cover. Hope someone sees something incorrect, or it rings a bell. Thanks guys

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts