Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bougt a new G3 and took it to the range,2 mags later it jammed,but not a jam ive ever had before.a round is half way in the chamber and it wont go into battery and it wont come out.i dont want hit the slide very hard with a live round in there.ammo is factory 115gr fiocchi fmj.any ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You’ll need to put the front of the slide up against some wood or in a padded vise and push/tap the back of the grip to unlodge it. Be sure it’s pointed in a safe direction because you got a live round in there. I had this happen once with an out of spec round where the shell casing was a few thousands thick. This was the result:
Font Material property Toy Engineering Metal

·
Super Moderator
41,287 Posts
Welcome to the forum from northern Georgia . Good advice above, I've recently had similar issues with a reloaded round that had a length too long for the chamber . The bullet jammed into the lands of the barrel and it was very difficult to have the extractor pull it back. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You’ll need to put the front of the slide up against some wood or in a padded vise and push/tap the back of the grip to unlodge it. Be sure it’s pointed in a safe direction because you got a live round in there. I had this happen once with an out of spec round where the shell casing was a few thousands thick. This was the result:
View attachment 491674
thank you for advice,i ended up tapping the round into battery,it wouldnt eject so i went out back and it did fire,so will do serious cleaning and inspection.i sure like theel of the fullsize feel of the g3.i have an older millenium pro pt140,it still runs good.:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
i bougt a new G3 and took it to the range,2 mags later it jammed,but not a jam ive ever had before.a round is half way in the chamber and it wont go into battery and it wont come out.i dont want hit the slide very hard with a live round in there.ammo is factory 115gr fiocchi fmj.any ideas?
As others have suggested, it sounds like you managed to get an oddball cartridge that slipped by the Quality Control (QC) specs for it. Even though the QC specs are more stringent now than in years past, the ammo shortages caused many companies to ramp up production beyond what they normally produce and that alone will result in more defective rounds going out to consumers.

Let's say Fiocchi's QC criteria for rejection is 0.01% which is extremely small. However, in practical terms, it means that out of every 1 million rounds Fiocchi produces, there will be 100 rounds that the machines should reject as defective. (Note the emphasis on should). If it doesn't happen, then it gets sent out to you the consumer who - like most shooters - don't inspect every round before they load it in a mag . Now, what happens if Fiocchi doubles production and produce 2 million rounds? Since the QC criteria has been validated for outputs of up to 1 million rounds, doubling the output may not lead to a simple doubling of the rounds rejected. It's a bit like like the lottery where the odds for having a winning ticket change as the number of tickets sold exceed the minimum number of tickets required for one person to have one.

Here's a good article on the subject: Ammo Quality Control

Reactions: blandsidel
1 - 10 of 10 Posts