Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the stupidity of our elected "leaders" we're faced with the choice of registration, "permanent" modification, or selling our standard capacity magazines. I'm not wild about being on yet another list, so I'm looking for options for my 247 G2 9mm. I looked on the Taurus web site and can't find that they make a 10 rounder for the G2, otherwise I would just buy a couple and sell my standard mags. That's what I'm doing with my Ruger SR9.

Since they had no idea what they actually passed, there is no guidance as to what would constitute "(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition". Is a bonded shim limiting follower travel OK. How about a "pop-rivet" - a club member had a magazine modified with a pop rivet said it met (the old 10-round) NY limit. Do any of our NY members have any information about this?

I know I can register them (what a stupid joke) and just not load them beyond 10 rounds in accordance with the new law "(f) Any person who declared possession of a large capacity magazine under this section may possess the large capacity magazine only under the following conditions: (7) Pursuant to a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, provided such large capacity magazine (A) is within a pistol or revolver that was lawfully possessed by the person prior to the effective date of this section, (B) does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip, and (C) contains not more than ten bullets." However, that opens you up the question of just how many rounds did you have loaded, after the fact, so in any case I'd want some type of limiter in the mag to limit capacity even if it wasn't "permanent".

Any suggestions (except to move) would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I am with you on this one. You would think they would allow us to modify the mags, remember we have until Jan 1. Dont forget there is a rally at the Hartford capital on sat april 20. Just hoping we can get this stupidity repealed.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Holy cow! A CT thread of actual CT people. I am waiting to see what happens with the litigation which is already underway. While I would never personally own a dastardly device such as this, I would wait until the last second to decide what to do.

We should try to get together someday for a commiseration shoot. I'll bring the sling-shot, one of you can bring the musket.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I should mention that you are NOT allowed to sell your mags out of state per OLR. You can do 1 of four things: 1- Turn them in to LE, 2- Sell them to FFL, 3- Register them, 4- permanently alter them.

Same thing with assualt weapons. Not allowed to even sell them for fair market value out of state. Such BS.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I would just move from that state glad I don't live in the North East. Hope all this stays over there and doesn't trickle this way

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should mention that you are NOT allowed to sell your mags out of state per OLR. You can do 1 of four things: 1- Turn them in to LE, 2- Sell them to FFL, 3- Register them, 4- permanently alter them.

Same thing with assualt weapons. Not allowed to even sell them for fair market value out of state. Such BS.
If you did an FFL to FFL transfer to an out of state buyer, I believe that would be legal since the CT FFL would "buy" the gun or mag and transfer it to his books before then transferring it to the out of state FFL.

That said, there is nothing I can read in either (CT) state or federal law that prevents you from buying or selling a long gun if you are physically in another state. Some states do restrict out-of-staters from purchasing long guns, but not too many I believe. Outside of CT, NY, MA, and a few other places, a magazine of any capacity is just a piece of stamped metal or molded plastic that can be bought and sold face to face at any time or place. Just get it out of state before 1/1/14.

And yes, we should get together for a commiseration shoot. I'll bring my Atlatl (spear-thrower);)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you did an FFL to FFL transfer to an out of state buyer, I believe that would be legal since the CT FFL would "buy" the gun or mag and transfer it to his books before then transferring it to the out of state FFL.

That said, there is nothing I can read in either (CT) state or federal law that prevents you from buying or selling a long gun if you are physically in another state. Some states do restrict out-of-staters from purchasing long guns, but not too many I believe. Outside of CT, NY, MA, and a few other places, a magazine of any capacity is just a piece of stamped metal or molded plastic that can be bought and sold face to face at any time or place. Just get it out of state before 1/1/14.

And yes, we should get together for a commiseration shoot. I'll bring my Atlatl (spear-thrower);)
I believe an FFL is a transfer rather than purchase/resale. They act more like a broker than a middleman. The FFL actually does not take ownership of the firearm and the payment for the firearm is not collected or transmitted by the FFL. That is why they charge a transfer fee rather and do not collect sales tax.

While I am not sure about bringing your rifle/mags to another state to sell, I believe that FFL dealers are not even alloweed to do that (one of the ammendments in yesterday's vote would have allowed that). This I could well be wrong on but it is my interpretation. Either way it is BS and one of the bases of one of the many lawsuits. By prohibiting the ability to procure fair market value, they are effectively confiscating prior legal goods without compensation which is illegal.

By the way, one of the most likely lawsuits to have effect has already been filed. There is an Americans with Disabilities Act lawsuit filed because the outlawing of a pistol grip makes it nearly impossible for anyone in a wheel chair or without the use of one arm to use a long gun effectively.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts