Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I am sorry if someone has already asked this question. To the best of my research I have not found the answer here.

So to my question. I am going to be getting my CC before long and I am looking for the right holster I have a Taurus 605 with a 3" barrel (not hammerless). In the winter i will probably get an ankle rig bc I usually way pants. But summer time I am usually always found in cargo shorts and a tee. This is where I am lost, I am trying to find a holster that will carried well with this type of clothing. Any suggestions?

I have thought about a Smart Carry holster, although some people say it does not work well. I am an stocky guy about 5'9" and about 239lbs. So needless to say I have a slight gut. (Hopefully that will be changing before long). I wouldn't mind Smart Carry, but from what I read trying to draw when sitting does not work well. Anyone have experience with this?

Also I am not wanting to carry in the small of my back for a few reasons. One it can not be easily defended if someone come to you from behind. And two sitting down it seems like it would get in the way.

What other suggestions do you guys have?

Thanks

Administrator
Holsters are kind of like underwear. What I like (don't wear any anyway), you may not. That's why most of us have a designated holster drawer. You just have to find the one the works for you. Those that aren't what you're looking for, end up in the holster drawer. It just happens to be one of those draw backs of carrying a pistola! But you'll find the one that works. Eventually.

I will recommend you look at the Don Hume brand. For starters, they're inexpensive for starting out. Good luck!

Registered
Hey, Welcome to the forum from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. and the Don Hume is an excellent holster...

Registered
Hi, I'll check out the link to the Don Hume holsters, but I just purchased the Taurus Judge 4510 with 6.5 in barrel. I'm having trouble finding a holster for it for open carry, since I don't think there's much call for it. Anybody have a suggestion for this specific firearm? Thanks.

Registered
Boy, a reply to this thread could be a long one! How much do you want to spend? Are you looking at leather or synthetic? The suggestion of Don Hume is a good one because they make top class holsters. One company that I like which has reasonable prices is ACE Case -- check out some of their IWB holsters (In-Pants / IWB Holsters - Ace Case Manufacturing). You might also want to try the Galco Tuck and Go (Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters) it can be had for about $20 from a variety of sellers.

Registered
Hi, I'll check out the link to the Don Hume holsters, but I just purchased the Taurus Judge 4510 with 6.5 in barrel. I'm having trouble finding a holster for it for open carry, since I don't think there's much call for it. Anybody have a suggestion for this specific firearm? Thanks.
Veronica, here are a handful of options that I am aware of for your Judge:

This Holster Fits The Taurus Judge 6 1/2" Barrel: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Belt Holster Ambidextrous Taurus Judge 6-1/2 Nylon Black

55370 - 6" Taurus Judge Leather Belt Holster

America's Gun Store, LLC : Taurus Judge 2.5" Chamber .45/.410 Holster - 6.5"

Registered
I'm a big fan of Don Hume holsters. I've got a 715 IWB for my 3" SP101. It will work for a 3" Taurus. Otherwise, you're welcome to come and look through the big box of holsters that I've accumulated looking for the perfect one.

Registered
Oh, and welcome to the forum to both newcomers!!

Registered
Once you decide what works for you, (IWB/OWB/etc...) - you can always start off with low end $generic$ one, continue to test it for a while - then upgrade to the nicer rig that suites your needs.

I would bet that everyone on this board has at least one failed attempt at a holster solution.

- I know I have a box full of assorted Glock holsters - even though I primarily carry a SW Bodyguard 380 now in either a pocket holster, OWB clip on, or IWB clip on

Registered
Welcome to the forum from the great state of Texas! You will probably have to try several like ole smoke said and have a drawer dedicated to holsters! I myself have drawers,boxes and range bags full! When you acquire more pistols you will need to get more holsters then more better holsters and the maybe a custom holster!-------- and on and on!!! But really think about how you may want to carry and look at some of the good choices around. Also one of the very major things you need to get 1st is a " good" gun belt! Made to carry a pistol on, not one that you think might be stiff enough but one that is and will not get soft and saggy later! Having it stiff all the way around is very important for all day comfort! To Veronica this is doubly important, I know because I carry my Judge sometimes all day! I just recently got a Bianchi belt ( nylon) from Amazon.com that's stiff and adjustable with a click it shut buckle for the Judge. When I say stiff I mean you can hold the belt fastened in a ring and it will not sag down! Sounds to stiff but it's really more comfy because it distributes the weight of the firearm around your whole waist and not sagging on one spot. Ask any LEO about this. Good luck on finding the right one, don't go too cheap but then you don't need to break the bank on one either!

Registered
I've carried my Taurus 605 2" barrel in a Galco IWB for several years now I've been very pleased with it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts