Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I recently purchased a used Taurus 65 from my local gun shop and am hoping to get some more information on it as Taurus was not much help. I'm trying to determine roughly when this revolver was made. It has the partial lug and old blued metal that I haven't seen on newer model Tauruses. The revolver has a five digit serial number starting with 64. I know newer Taurus revolvers have a letter in the serial number, but I'm not sure when this change took place. Based on some posts I've seen here and various other forums with similar guns, I'm estimating it was made between 1980-1990. I called Taurus and they couldn't tell me anything based on the serial other than it's old.

Regardless of the age, this is my first. 357 (I've always wanted one), it seems to be in good shape, and I paid $299 before tax which seems like a good deal in the current environment. Pics attached below. Also, any recommendations on what to clean it with given the blued metal? I use breakfree CLP for most things, not sure if that's okay.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

- JJ

Wood Revolver Gun accessory Wood stain Varnish
Wood Tool Door Bag Fashion accessory

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Sorry...:confused:...when I read the title, I was all set to suggest dinner and a movie but I guess that's not what you were asking. :)...welcome aboard!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your gun was made between May, 1984 (when the pin that locked the barrel on the frame was abolished - serial number 46000 for .357 Magnum revolvers) and June, 1985, when a wider trigger (from serial number 67000) was adopted.

A rough calculation, using these serial numbers, indicates that your revolver mas made about April, 1985.

Recessed chambers were eliminated in June, 1985, from serial number 68480. Up to SN 84978, there's both recessed and non-recessed cylinders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for the help! That's good to know. I'm even more convinced that I found a hidden gem now. Was this era of Taurus and generation of revolver a quality one? I'm not an expert and haven't taken it to the range yet, but it seems like a solid and smooth revolver, not at all a "budget" gun.

Also, is it safe to use CLP on this blued metal, or do you recommend I use something else to clean/preserve it? I'd like to take care of this revolver and keep it long-term, I have no plans of getting rid of it. I only buy guns, I don't sell, lol! This gun is actually older than I am. A testament that guns will stand the test of time if taken care of.

·
Registered
236 Posts
CLP is excellent.
I believe that peak of Taurus quality was between 1985 and 1995. The only disadvantage of Taurus 65 is the extremly small front sight. It requires a young shooter with perfect vision. Sighting with it is harder to older, tired eyes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CLP is excellent.
I believe that peak of Taurus quality was between 1985 and 1995. The only disadvantage of Taurus 65 is the extremly small front sight. It requires a young shooter with perfect vision.
I noticed that about the front sight, not the easiest to pick up. I've seen some folks suggest using neon paint or nail polish on it, I'm not sure how I feel about that but I'll look into it. Thanks for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to look into it. While I have you here, there is some discoloring on the hammer and trigger, which I believe are both steel parts. Could/should I hit those spots with something abrasive and some polish or something like that? Do you use anything on the rosewood grips? Just trying to learn as much as I can, I appreciate the help.

View attachment 482406 View attachment 482407

·
Registered
236 Posts
All Taurus 65 that I saw had some type of painting in the front sight, with nail polish or even Liquid Paper (most readily available in police stations).

Wooden grips can be cleaned with furniture polish.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
I noticed that about the front sight, not the easiest to pick up. I've seen some folks suggest using neon paint or nail polish on it, I'm not sure how I feel about that but I'll look into it. Thanks for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to look into it. While I have you here, there is some discoloring on the hammer and trigger, which I believe are both steel parts. Could/should I hit those spots with something abrasive and some polish or something like that? Do you use anything on the rosewood grips? Just trying to learn as much as I can, I appreciate the help.

View attachment 482406 View attachment 482407
Those colors are meant to mimic case hardening. Leave them as they are.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma!
Nice revolver!

Reactions: Sidewinder45

·
Registered
635 Posts
CLP is excellent.
I believe that peak of Taurus quality was between 1985 and 1995. The only disadvantage of Taurus 65 is the extremly small front sight. It requires a young shooter with perfect vision. Sighting with it is harder to older, tired eyes.

Very similar to the Smith and Wesson M&P series and the Model 13.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Your gun was made between May, 1984 (when the pin that locked the barrel on the frame was abolished - serial number 46000 for .357 Magnum revolvers) and June, 1985, when a wider trigger (from serial number 67000) was adopted.

A rough calculation, using these serial numbers, indicates that your revolver mas made about April, 1985.

Recessed chambers were eliminated in June, 1985, from serial number 68480. Up to SN 84978, there's both recessed and non-recessed cylinders.
Your knowledge of Taurus maker's dates is excellent. I wonder if you could cast your magic over my 669 and tell me what you can? Serial number is 35443. It is in excellent condition, firm lock-up, no movement between cylinder and frame. The only difference between mine and other 669's I've seen (and not many of them) is mine had the 'flat' hammer and the trigger is of the same metal and colour. It has German proof marks.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
236 Posts
There´s no my merit. I only have the tecnhical manuals published here in Brazil, that, unfortunately, are not translated to other languages.

About your revolver:

The Taurus logo is the fourth version, adopted in 1981.

Your revolver has no case hardened trigger and hammer, that was adopted in January, 1984.

We need to made some calculations to estimate the production year (between 1981-1983), because there´s no table for only-digit serial numbers.

Taurus .357 Magnum revolver serial number 41884 was made in January, 1984, when case hardened trigger and hammer were introduced.

Satin nickel finish option for .357 Magnum revolveres was introduced in October, 1979, from serial number 16900.

It means that Taurus made 24.984 .357 Magnum revolvers in 50 months, about 500 units per month.

Serial number of your gun minus 16900, divided by 500 (mean month production volume) will give how many months after the older gun your revolver was made (assuming a constant volume of production).

The result of these calculations are 37 months after October, 1979, this is, November, 1982.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
WOW...!! Many, many thanks. You have told me more in those few lines than I have been able to find out over the last year. I am extremely grateful to you. Thank you.:)(y)(y)(y)(y)

• Love
Reactions: Erick Tamberg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more question,

Is this Taurus 65 sturdy enough to not worry about shooting hot .357 loads (only store bought, no hand loads)? I see some folks say that certain older/smaller revolvers shouldn't shoot particularly hot ammo. I'm trying to decide on an optimal round. Picked up a box of 110gr Winchester white box and I see some folks not too high on that round.

Would this Taurus be considered an L frame or a K frame revolver? Or does that not apply to Taurus?

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Taurus 65 is a K-frame equivalent.

Colonel Mike Wood wrote a detailed article in Revolver Guy site about the L-frame development. I believe that you will find all answers about this subject on that article.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts