Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Present for my wife amd it wont work. we planed on going to the range today and she cant use her new 738. any ideas or you all know of a easy fix for this? i would love more than anything to be able to tell my wife she can shoot her new toy.

When I try to chamber a round it looks like the angle of the feed ramp is too steep and it just gets stuck. FMJ's btw.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mine does the same thing, it's better after a 'fluff and buff' and some range time. These little guns have a steep feed ramp, so anything could contribute to this (not enough lubrication on the slide, burs, dirt, bullet shape/length, bad hand rack, etc).

Are you doing this by hand (slingshot method) or using the slide release? Also, what brand of ammo?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you rack the slide hard and fast it will chamber or if the slide is locked back when you insert the magazine, release the slide by pressing the slide release lever and it should chamber. If the slide doesnt close all the was (not chambering) give the back of the slide a good tap forward with your palm and it will chamber the round. They usually are hard to chamber the first round but should chamber the additional rounds while actually shooting. Go break that puppy in!

·
Registered
339 Posts
adjust the feed lips of the mag so that the bullet points up at slightly more of an angle, it dosn't take much.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
MMM trying to put .45s in a 9mm are you? :D

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Present for my wife amd it wont work. we planed on going to the range today and she cant use her new 738. any ideas or you all know of a easy fix for this? i would love more than anything to be able to tell my wife she can shoot her new toy.

When I try to chamber a round it looks like the angle of the feed ramp is too steep and it just gets stuck. FMJ's btw.
Are you saying they're hanging up on the top of the chamber? A little polishing on top of the chamber usually fixes that, but the easy way is usually just to shoot it and let the rounds do it. How many rounds do you have through it so far?

And where's my manners - welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
explain "trying to chamber a round"
how exactly are you trying to chamber the round?
sometimes a new weapon will be stiff, actually most all times a new weapon will be stiff to operate.
I would suggest that you field strip the weapon, clean it throughly, lubricate it, running the slide and rails a bit on the wet side.
then sit down over the next couple of days and pull the slide back and gently let it back down several hundred times, no need to dry fire it you are just trying to work the recoil spring and mate the slide to the frame.
then take it to the range and shoot the devil out of it, its not at all unusual for a new weapon to take 200 plus rounds through it before it becomes reliable.
IF you and the wife are new to guns and shooting you picked about the worst possible weapon to learn with!
(any extremely small semi auto, not just the taurus.)
the smaller the semi auto the less forgiving that it is to shooter error.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just took my 738 to the range yesterday and had the same problem with the first few magazines of FMJ and one with Gold Dot but it got better as I fired it more. When you guys talk about polishing it what are you using?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I just took my 738 to the range yesterday and had the same problem with the first few magazines of FMJ and one with Gold Dot but it got better as I fired it more. When you guys talk about polishing it what are you using?
I can tell you how I do it, but before I do - where are the rounds hitting? If they're not hanging up on the top of the chamber, then polishing it there won't do you any good. Gotta do the polishing where the hangup occurs. If they're nose diving back down into the mag, then forget about polishing and do some break in on the mags - load them fully, and unload and reload them several times a day for a couple weeks - leaving them loaded in between. Leaving them loaded will help the mag springs to take a set, and unloading and reloading will help to weaken them a bit. The other thing that can cause rounds to nose dive back down into the mag is limp wristing. Even though it's just a 380, it can be a snappy little round. With small pistols you need to lock your wrists and use a very firm push/pull grip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
polished the feed ramp with some very fine sandpaper and an eraser. then re cleaned the gun again. worked.

filled a clip and racked the slide over and over. and repeat.

had just a few problems with feeding. now just need some range time.

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
55 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700s/65368-range-report-tcp-738-a.html is the link that I posted yesterday. It hits the top of the feed ramp. I posted a pic showing my feed ramp and how it curves in at the top and I think that maybe where it hits. the first rounds will chamber now but its not smooth. almost forced as I wrote in my thread. It's my first gun so Im not to sure if its "normal" or if it should feel smoother than it does.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm going to try polishing it and possibly sanding it if I have too. Any suggestion on the grit to use? do you think sanding the corners on the feed ramp will help??

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700s/65368-range-report-tcp-738-a.html is the link that I posted yesterday. It hits the top of the feed ramp. I posted a pic showing my feed ramp and how it curves in at the top and I think that maybe where it hits. the first rounds will chamber now but its not smooth. almost forced as I wrote in my thread. It's my first gun so Im not to sure if its "normal" or if it should feel smoother than it does.
I took a look at the other thread, and to me that ramp looks like it's got issues. Looks to me like someone may already have gone to work on it and dug it out in the middle. If it was mine I don't think I'd try polishing. The good news is the Taurus lifetime warranty is transferable, so you still have the option of sending it in for a warranty repair, and looking like this I think that's what I'd do. That and all the other issues you mentioned kind of makes a trip to Miami the smart move.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Just me but I won't send anything back if I can sand , polish, deburr or lube and cure the problem. I like to tinker.
I'll polish a ramp in a New York minute if I think it needs it. To me it looks like the angles may be boogered up, and when you start changing angles you better know what you're doing. You can create a dangerous situation if you take too much off around the bottom of the chamber, and it's just liable to give you the surprise of your life if a cartridge ruptures. Lots of times it will just blow the magazine out the bottom of the pistol, but with a polymer grip who knows. Might take some fingers with it. Not to mention voiding the warranty, and GoWild mentioned a bunch of other issues. Definitely a candidate for a vacation in sunny southern Florida, IYAM.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...Might take some fingers with it.

Not to mention voiding the warranty, and GoWild mentioned a bunch of other issues.

Definitely a candidate for a vacation in sunny southern Florida, IYAM.
A big "AMEN", brother! :angel:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Definitely want to keep my hands:cool: so I can stay shooting :guns:. I think Ill polish the Heck out of it. and idk what its called when you rack the slide through full magazines with out firing it,but I read its good to do that to break it in and give it a good cleaning and lubricating and take it to the range again and see if it gets better, I'll get a count on the FFE and see how many, hopefully none Smack me in the forehead. I do have one question about sending it back. Is it going to matter I bought it used? or will it cost me? Should I just omit that information? Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 81 Posts