a gun
powder H110 and Green Dot
recipes
Magnum large pistol primers
44 mag dies for Lee
240 grain semi wad cutter mold

And I am waiting on the brass.

So the Plan.

1. Start with the Green Dot at 7.0gr and load 10 pcs.
2. Fire my new gun.
3. Jump up & down while giggling.
4. Then load 10 more at maybe 7.5 gr
5. Giggle some more.
6. And etc till I get to 8.0 gr.

During this giggly phase I shall try to learn the trigger and make note of the accuracy.

I wonder if anyone has a recipe for the H110 and lead bullets? I have one that comes with the dies that makes about 1000fps. I think it's slow to prevent leading.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hate to say it but h110 might not be the best match for your lead bullets. I seem to remember hearing that lead and magnum powders don't mix well for the reason you mentioned. I could be wrong. I did find a load for green dot and your bullets, but it has a max of 7gr and 900 fps. But at least they match up.

I'm sure someone has a recipe for H110 and LSWC, maybe they will chime in.

Good luck, be smart and don't try something just because you THINK it might work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
First and foremost follow ONLY reloading recipes from reputable published sources.
On the Alliant site I'm seeing the same recipe Stupimlico referenced - 7gr max of Green Dot under a 240gr LSWC.
I've got some "hotter" recipes from older sources too, but that isn't where I'd start. Always start LOW and work up.
The general recommendation is start at 90% of max (which would be 6.3gr of Green Dot in this case) and work up to the listed max (7gr) in two or three steps. I.E. 6.5gr, 6.7gr, 6.9gr, etc.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
A lot will depend on what you use for lead, straight lead does not work for high velocity loading. Staying below 900fps should be fine.
Hard cast bullets do work very well in 44 mag up to 1200 or so FPS. Beyond that you will get leading and poor accuracy.

I used to cast my own bullets and still have everything I need to cast, but I find it much easier and convenient to buy them. I can provide a link to where I buy mine, if you'd like to give them a look. Powder coated bullets will give better results with virtually no leading.

H-110 or 296 are both good powders for the 44. Much recoil, big boom.

Unless you are really into pain, I would suggest staying with the milder loadings for 44 mag. I've shot thousands of them in my younger days, these days, I'm more of a .22 guy. :cool: I still break them out from time to time and I still buy 44's, but I'll only shoot 4 or 5 cylinders of full power loads, before moving to something more wrist friendly.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Good advice given above! Are the LSWC lead bullets from Speer or Hornady? If so, the soft lead will be a barrel leading machine at higher velocities. Before you start reloading, be sure that you have a manual from Lyman or others that offer instruction and proven load data. If you plan on full magnum loads buy a supply of jacketed bullets or coated hard cast bullets. Removing lead is an arduous task that you want to avoid. Bone jarring full house loads may be fun but will get old fast. Many .44 magnum owners like to load at .44 Special levels when target shooting practice while saving the hot loads for hunting or “social work”. It‘s easier on your weapon and saves money as well as your wrist.😊

1 - 5 of 5 Posts