1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
hmmm, like this

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice, keep us informed on how well the last.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I also would very much like to know how these work. Looking at the website, these Nightsighters require exposure to light to "charge up" and glow in the dark. I'd really like to know how much light exposure they need and how long they glow in the dark. I installed a tritium Glock front sight on my 709, and if these provide glow for a long enough time, they would be a nice inexpensive option for the real sights.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Looks cool, I'll just aim at where the dog barks. :p

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'm sorry but I'm not convinced. Do you "charge" them nightly or hope to light them up when the BGs arrive and you need them quickly!? I'd be careful about saving money on SD night time sights, lights or lasers. My .02.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sorry but I'm not convinced. Do you "charge" them nightly or hope to light them up when the BGs arrive and you need them quickly!? I'd be careful about saving money on SD night time sights, lights or lasers. My .02.
Sure, makes sense... Update for you guys...

Yes they do require a charge up. But where I place my 709, there is a light. So last night they were charged. This morning, 6am walk into my closet with my lifts off. I wear contacts, and had not put them in yet. The only thing I could see were bright green dots.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also would very much like to know how these work. Looking at the website, these Nightsighters require exposure to light to "charge up" and glow in the dark. I'd really like to know how much light exposure they need and how long they glow in the dark. I installed a tritium Glock front sight on my 709, and if these provide glow for a long enough time, they would be a nice inexpensive option for the real sights.
Which sight did you use? You have a write up?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The "charge up" issue aside, these look like they would be great in low light. In real darkness, you would be able to see the sights but not the bad guy you're trying to shoot at. Makes me wonder if the bad guy could see the sights too, and have something to aim at as well.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Don't all night sights require some sort of "charge up" or am I mistaken??

Also, to the OP - does each package, just include stuff for one set of sights?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

Nope - here's the skinny: The tritium in a gaseous tritium light source undergoes beta decay, releasing electrons which cause the phosphor layer to fluoresce. Being an unstable isotope with a half-life of 12.32 years, tritium loses half its brightness in that period. The more tritium that is initially placed in the tube, the brighter it is to begin with, and the longer its useful life.

A lot of LEO turn in guns will appear on the market with 'tired' night sights - an indication of their age.:guns:

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I have a security box on my nightstand, I think I could rig it with a 5watt nightlight bulb that shuts off when it is opened.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a security box on my nightstand, I think I could rig it with a 5watt nightlight bulb that shuts off when it is opened.
I've done this too, with LEDs. Pressure contact connects the source you open it, source disconnects, light shuts off.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I keep a Sure Fire (don't remember the model) that produces 230 lumens of blinding light with my bedside "life safety" device. (Libs will love that tag). I've had 2 situations where I had to go to my door armed and that light disables anyone long enough for you to gain control of situation. It's not a guarantee but I like it much better than night sights. I'm a believer in using all the tools in the box and the light is just MY preferred part of a personal defense package and I was taught this by a LEO instructor. Not saying that night sights are no good, just not for me.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
That's actually a pretty slick solution! I went from a Crimson Trace to a 190 lumen rail light. If I had to walk around or clear the house I'd have a flashlight with me anyway - the CT will not help in that regard SO I would have 1 hand on my Glock with 40 S&W loaded hot. This means shooting one handed (less accurate) AND less control of your weapon in a 'contact' situation. It took me a while to come too what I was most comfortable with having NO home invasions to practice in (works for me). Any night sight will be dependent on having SOME ambient light to at least have a silhouette of a BG, right? Staying in cover with 1 door to watch might work out well but I still believe that walking around will require a flashlight. Your plan?!?!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts