Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

• hiya lads im steve from UK got a used taurus .44 mag with 12 inch barrel ,im needing some help from if possible, firstly a little history ,had an fac for 10 years 7.62 .223 rimfire but never reloaded before

ive got a couple of maes that have reloaded for years, which i see sometimes ,they ran me tru the sequence,lots of reading ,youtube

so got my first handgun 2 months ago from private seller in essex ,vgc taurus .44 lbr, it came with 50 rounds copper plated magtech rem mag ,which i cant shoot at my indoor club 25yrads

and 50 rounds cowboy action lods .44 spl lead bullets,these shot fine ,was really pleased with it all........

then got my new lee single stage press and other gear to tart reloading, the fella who works in my local shop used to reload for the same gun ,so i went with his recommendation of lovex DO32 240g lead bullets ,large pistol primers

reading online ,i went for soft loads of 5.5gr ,2 out of 6 were round holes 2 were oval ,2 perfect sideways

next outing 6gr same as above

phoned fella in shop ,he looked it up ,im too slow ,should be 9gr , so loaded 6 x 9gr and 6 x 8gr ,every holes perfect sideways hole at 25 yards

looked on lovex site ,9.7 .......sideways altho info was for shorter barrel

barrel was badly caked in lead , cleaned up nicely and tried again today with

2 x 5.5gr
    2x6gr
    2 x 6.5gr
    2 x 7 gr every one sideways

im pretty green with reloading , im hoping someone else with this has found a solution ,cheers boys ,steve​

JB ,FAC superten .22, Dr bob quickfill....ruger 10/22...marlin 795ss .44 taurus

+ Reply to Thread
Quick Navigation Reloading Top

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Hi Steve welcome to the Forum. I've never used lovex powders but I do know how important it is to have and read the powder reloading guide.

It's OK to ask for advice when reloading but always follow the powder manufuctues load data. In the case of using lovex DO32 in the 44 mag.....we, lets see what the lovex reloading guide says: https://explosia.cz/app/uploads/2016/11/reloading_Lovex_EN.pdf

The lovex guide says DO32 is not usable with the 44 mag cartage. That's odd since there is load data for DO32 under the 44mag chart. It doesn't fill me with confidence in lovex.

Just from your description, you may need to gas check your lead bullets. The burning powder is melting the bottom of your bullet as it travels down that long barrel and leading up the rifling. Perhaps a different powder would burn cooler and help with the leading issue

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
If you're having keyholing in your target and heavy leading in the barrel, make sure your projectiles have good lubrication in the grease rings.

Welcome to TaurusArmed.net! :hand26:

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
Sorry, I'm no help. I don't know a thing about reloading. However, there are some true experts on these boards, so hopefully you'll get some information you can use.

I do have a question. I thought handguns were extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get in the U.K. How does a guy get a .44 magnum?

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota, USA.

·
Super Moderator
37,500 Posts
Hi Steve and welcome from Northern Illinois! Perhaps examine the crown of the barrel, the rounded indentation of the bore at the muzzle end. Damage or uneven crowns can cause keyholing. I load the 44 Magnum with copper plated bullets. Not sure of the availability of those in the UK. Powder coated bullets are also becoming a thing here which eliminates the need for lube on the bullet. I find the hard cast bullet lube obnoxious when shooting indoors due to the smoke and smell. The other issue you may have is your bore being a much different size than your bullet diameter. Many people will "slug" the barrel which involved forcing a larger chunk of lead whether a bullet or fishing sinker into the barrel and putting a gauge or micrometer on the slug once retrieved to determine your actual bore size.

I've only loaded hard cast lead in 45 ACP and .380 Auto for pistol and those were not gas checked..which involves a copper disc clamped to the base of the bullet. The 45 was out of a 5" barrel on a 1911 and the latter was in a "mouse gun" Taurus TCP. No leading issue there probably due to the lower velocity and shorter barrels.

I do load a hard cast, gas checked bullet in my 32 Winchester Special Model 1894 carbine. When you begin pushing a lead bullet faster than 1500 feet per second the heat developed will result in the melting of the base as mentioned above.

As you load, do a "ladder" loading of various charges, keeping notes of accuracy and other results. Overpressure can be gauged by examining the primer to see if it is flattened out against the breech. Let us know how it works out for you!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Welcome, Steve! My Viking ancestors spent about 600 years in Britain before they immigrated here.

Since you're using Lovex powders, go to their website and download their handloading guide for free. D032 was once sold in the USA as Accurate No 2, It's still available, just not as A #2. It's sold as Shooter's World Clean Shot and is considered a fast burning powder. Great for low velocity target loads, but if you're looking for a Lovex powder that will provide higher velocity, consider D037.1 or D037.2. But again, review their data to see if you want as much velocity.

D036.3 is a bit faster burning than D037.1 and slower burning than D032, so consider a "mid-range" powder. They have another powder that's somewhat similar that's sold in the USA as Ultimate Pistol. Since I'm not 100% on the Lovex designation, I'll leave it at that.;)

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from North Texas! :wave: We're mighty glad you decided to join "Ye Merrye Crewwe". :thumb:

D032 has a burn rate that is like Accurate Arms #2, TiteGroup, Winchester Western 231/HP-38. This a fast pistol powder designed for small-case pistol ammo like 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, etc. If you can find a slower burning powder like Alliant Unique, that will probably give you better results. Your leading issues may be a bit deeper. First, check the diameter of the bullets with calipers or a micrometer. Are they 0.429 or 0.430 inches? If they are less, you will need to buy bullets sized correctly for your firearm. Have the barrel slugged by a gunsmith to find the bore diameter. Next, check the cylinder throats. Are they under sized? I had a Ruger .41 Magnum that had that problem and had to have the chamber throats lapped. Until I did, I had key holing (bullets tipped sideways to varying degrees), poor accuracy and severe leading. The bullets were being resized as they passed through the cylinder throats to an undersized state. You can check yourself by taking an unfired lead bullet and push it through the throat on each chamber on the cylinder with a wood pencil. They should go through easily with a slight resistance. If they go through with difficulty or you have to drive the bullets through, you need to have a gunsmith lap the throats to the correct diameter. Also check the chamber - barrel alignment. If there is a misalignment on any of the chambers, you have a cylinder timing issue that requires a visit to the gunsmith.

Good luck with your new pistol. If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to ask! Cheers!

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
813 Posts
I hope I am wrong but is anyone even a bit suspicious of the original post? It looks like a copy/paste of a post from some other forum. Having a gun in the UK is a "privilege", not a right, and you have to have a license and show good cause for your need, and pay a fee. And he loads his own.

Anyway, if it is legit, bravo to the OP and welcome from Kansas.

·
Registered
15,216 Posts
This may be a situation where you can't effectively load lead cast with that powder. perhaps it's time to look into plated bullets or even powder coating the ones you have.

·
Super Moderator
37,500 Posts
I hope I am wrong but is anyone even a bit suspicious of the original post? It looks like a copy/paste of a post from some other forum. Having a gun in the UK is a "privilege", not a right, and you have to have a license and show good cause for your need, and pay a fee. And he loads his own.

Anyway, if it is legit, bravo to the OP and welcome from Kansas.
They have managed to screw up gun ownership mightily in the UK. As I understand it, one must belong to a club which establishes their "reason" for gun ownership. Then, after extensive background checks, a person can purchase a firearm which itself must meet stringent requirements for length of the barrel and the overall length, hence the long barrel that his gun has. In addition, I am certain that it would have a rod and counterbalance welded to the rear of the gun off the backstrap. An example is posted below. The gun must be secured at the club with no private possession allowed. With all of that, I am also sure that ammo costs an arm and a leg, so that the incentive to hand load goes beyond accuracy to cost savings also. I am also sure that powder and primers are also regulated to the point that the authorities know who bought it, where and when, to restrict quantities.

https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates

Here's an article from 2010 stating that there are areas that could be "tightened".

https://www.bbc.com/news/10220974

Other guns there:

https://www.businessinsider.com/gun...and-each-round-will-set-you-back-about-100-15

Taurus UK gun.jpg

Reactions: Flash60601

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello from Idaho!
When I was loading for the 44 mag. that I sold last year and bought a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull I used 2400 or H-110. Also I powder coat my cast bullets and no leading with hot loads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts