Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I each purchased a new Taurus yesterday. She selected a PT 738 and I chose a PT 740. She has never fired a handgun of any type and I previously owned a Taurus 669 that I carried as a duty weapon when I was a Police Officer in "Podunk", MO, in the early 90's. I always enjoyed my 669 but foolishly sold it when I got out of law enforcement. This is the first semi-auto that I have owned, and haven't fired a handgun since probably 1995. After lots of practice, we plan to enroll in a CCW class and carry our new pistols. We are not even considering a class until we have each fired 500 - 600 rounds through our weapons.

After spending a few hours last night cleaning all the gunk, dust, and dirt from both weapons, today we went to the local Dept. of Conservation range to fire a few rounds. It was much colder than either of us realized, the wind didn't help either so we each only fired 14 rounds. I was quite proud of my wife, all of her first 7 rounds hit the 18"x18" paper target and about 25ft and her second 7 started to form a fairly nice group. I thought that was pretty good given that she had never fired anything other than a .22 rifle in her life and a bit apprehensive about firearms in general. All of my rounds were within 6 or 7 inches, not near what they used to be, but I thought respectable given the weather and length of time since I have fired a handgun. Our goal for the day was not to attain perfection but to merely dispel a little apprehension and get a little feel for our new guns. Therefore, I think our day was successful. The only hiccup with either gun was after the 3rd round her 738's slide locked to the rear, but after checking for a mis-load and releasing the slide forward it fired flawlessly. We are looking forward to more trips to the range in the next few weeks, hopefully with a little warmer weather.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from North Texas! :wave:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Greetings from the Magnolia State!

We are always pleased to have new members join the forum, and it is especially nice when they come to us with law enforcement experiece.

Sharing your experiences and insights as an LEO will help a great forum become an even better one!

Congrats on your PT740 Slim. I carried one concealed every day for about two years, and the little pistol was 100% dependable and very accurate at self-defense distances.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Southeast Tennessee;;

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Welcome from Plano TX to the best gun forum on the Internet.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome aboard, from Dallas, TX!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Welcome from central Hellaware..The blue hen state???? ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.