Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloo everyone. I just found this board after the other Taurus board got booted. Anyway, I am from Tyler, TX and I am a few weeks away from getting my CCL. I am in the process of choosing my carry gun, and at the top of my list is a PT145. Right now, it is neck and neck with the M&P Compact...

This looks like a great new site!

Todd

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Welcome to the site! I like seeing all the Texans around, feels like home. :)

I'm from Marshall (the other side of Longview from you).

I too am hopefully weeks away from getting my CHL. They recieved my pprwork on 11/18 with missing info and miraculously found it on 12/18 without me recieving or sending them anything else. It's just a wait game now.

Here's a link you might be interested in:
https://www.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdps/TxdpsChlNewAppManager

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great information guys! Once I get the permit, I'll have to do that WalMart thing!

I am taking the class on the 27th, and then I guess I'll have to wait a couple of months for the actual permit...

So, can you apply online, then take the class, or do you have to take the class first?

Todd

·
Registered
178 Posts
Welcome Bonedigger,

Hows things in the Rose Capitol of Texas??? Spent some time there back in the early 90's. Nice town. I used to drive through there on my way to Quitman.

tex

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Howdy sir. Things are good in the rose capital. It's a nice little (?) town. We now have a Gander Mountain and I hear an Academy Sports is on the way!!! Life is good...

Todd

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I personally like GM. They have a pretty good selection, and their sales can be pretty good. Their every-day prices aren't GREAT, but they aren't too bad, and they price match. Gun prices are a little stiff, and their used guns are way overpriced, but I like the fact that all of the rifles and shotguns are out on the rack so you can play with them and get a good feel without having a salesperson looking over your shoulder.

Todd

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I felt it was aimed after a Bass Pro knock off. I thought the prices were pretty high too. It wasn't one of those stores I would have gone out of my way to go back to.

They did have some nice things in there, but it was all over priced I though.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I have a sentimental thing for GM... Here is the reason. Prior to GM coming to Tyler, we only had local WalMarts for buying sporting goods. Yes, for handguns I could go to a local gunshop, but for hunting items and fishing items we only had Walmart (x3). BPS is nearly 1.5 hours away in Dallas. So, we were kind of out in a sporting goods wasteland.

I was very happy to hear that GM was coming to Tyler and I try to shop there as often as possible to show my appreciation. Now, granted, they did not come to Tyler for any reason other than to make money, but I'm still grateful that they came!

Now I hear that we may be getting an Academy Sports soon too. I will be grateful for that as well and will shop accordingly!

In terms of GM, I gather that it veries by store. Some have good prices and some do not. However, they do price match so if you find a better price elsewhere, they will match it. That also includes coupons.

Todd

·
32,811 Posts
Welcome to the forum. With all these Texans a Yankee like me could get paranoid. ;D Been to Lubbock, Houston, Dallas, and Harlingen. Driving the state was a career of sorts. Long distance. Any chance of getting a Jackalope? When I was stationed at Reese Airplane patch the Jackrabbit was the main critter there and tumbleweeds were the main vegetation. Probably hasn't changed much. Reese closed years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts