Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began reading through this forum when I was considering purchasing a Stainless PT111 G2 and am now just waiting to pick it up! You guys were a big reason I felt good about making the G2 my first handgun. A few years ago I was the last person I would have thought would be in the market for one but because of some good friends and reading on forums like this I've decided it's better to be educated and able than to be ignorant and afraid/ confused when it comes to firearms. I've had a HD 12ga for a while but I enjoy shooting with buddies and have realized that if having a EDC weapon could save my life or my families lives then it is worth the $ and responsibility that goes with it. I can't wait to get my G2 and hit the range and get educated on it and handgun ownership in general. I'll also be taking basic safety and carry course and will be applying for CWP WHEN I'm comfortable with it.

Just wondering in general how long it takes the average guy like me who is new to gun ownership to warm up to the idea of carrying on a daily basis. Thanks again can't wait to start adding to the discussion!

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
Welcome from drought stricken West Texas! :hand26:

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
to the forum from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts

​Welcome to the Forum from Gulf Coast Florida!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
View attachment Welcome.bmp
First and Foremost is to take a gun safety course. Then get to know your gun. Take it a part clean it, lube it.. Get some Snap Caps, cycle them through the gun, learn the trigger. Go to the Range and have fun! Ask lots of questions, both here on the Forum and at the range. We love being able to foster the love of firearms with those new to shooting. Again, BE SAFE, Have Fun!!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Welcome from Williston!!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Howdy!

Carrying a weapon fell right with me. A bigger issue is always a secure and comfortable holster.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Welcome from Missouri! That's why we're here, to educate and laugh with/at one another! Makes for a fun time!

Glad you're looking at getting training with handguns and CWP. Make sure to get a quality holster and belt to support it (too many to choose from). This is what worked for me starting out carrying. You might be different so it can vary:

Start out by carrying in the house unloaded to get a feel for it. Under shirts, sitting/standing etc. Would test out around wife and friends to see if they could see it (wouldn't tell them I was carrying). Alot of my family are anti gun folks so I would have heard.

Found out that even though I was nervous thinking everyone would know, they didn't as I'm just not that noticeable I guess. Also, because of that, I don't have to keep messing with it as it isn't going nowhere! :D

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!

Go ahead and start what you need to do to get your CCW permit, or whatever they call it in Washington.
In Nevada it involves taking 8 hours of classroom training, and a short shooting exercise.
Then the application takes 4 months to process from when it's submitted.
Depending on how often you go to the range, you may be ready by then.
If not, you don't HAVE to carry, but you have the option.
Also, check out www.uscca.com. This organization provides self-defense insurance, which I think is essential!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Welcome from KY.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts