Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a mostly Upland Bird Hunter who is also found from time to time in the deer woods, the trout stream, and always on the training grounds with my 2 American Brittanys. I have had two handguns for years. A Ruger Blackhawk in 357, 51/2" bbl; and a Single Six convertible in .22/.22 Mag. These I soot regularly, if not frequently, at the range and while hunting. I was taught to shoot a handgun in the early 80's by a friend of my fathers, Sergeant Major of the Army, Spencer Guilard, who (amongst other accolades) was on the USA pistol team at the Tokyo Olympics. i am not saying i can do it well, but don't blame it on the instruction. A few weeks ago wife and I plunked down the cash for deposits and airfare to Anchorage in July (sight seeing up to Denali on the train, driving down the Kenai to fish, etc.)

I started looking at Ruger SP and GP revolvers with 2 1/2" bbl. as a "trail gun." That blackhawk will do the job, but is longer than I wanted. Looked at the Ruger "Alaskan" but just couldn't spring for the $1000. Switched to looking for a GP or SP, but couldn't find one, new, used, or otherwise.

Came across a Taurus 444 ss, 2 1/2" and took the plunge. Anyone have any recommendations for ammo and holsters for this as a trail gun? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358208477.206352.jpg

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Administrator
40,259 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

I highly recommend that SP you mentioned. Mine is huggin' me as we speak, or type today! :thumb:

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Hello from Central North Carolina and welcome to TaurusArmed.net. You are going to find some
friendly and knowledgeable people here. Those are some gorgeous birddogs you have there. My
father loves quail hunting and I grew up around English Setters and Shorthair Pointers. It's a
beautiful sight watching a dog hold a point on a covey of birds!

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Hello from StL MO!! I'm sure the pistol gang will surface shortly and offer up some knowledge. I'm in the semi auto school - pistols, rifles and shotguns - lotta help I am!

The monthly Taurus Armed on-line pistol shootout is off this month but it will be back. The new monthly rifle shootout IS on for January. Jump in if you are so inclined. A quick search will turn up the pages.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Southeast Tennessee;; For hunting and fishing you probably want open carry, right? I would recommend a Fobus Paddle holster. Just My preference.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hello and Welcome from the Ozark Mtns of Arkansas. I was born and raised in Texas and most of my family are from Arkansas so this is where I ended up after I got out of the Army. I was raised with bird dogs and rabbit dogs. Beagles and Weimaraners. I now have a Lab/Weimaraner mix. I dont bird hunt anymore but growing up hunting the Ringnecks and the Bobwhite was a blast. Your Britts in your pic are two GOOD LOOKING Dogs. I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy.

Reactions: ncfarmer

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,241 Posts
snoopy welcome 3.gif from Kansas

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts