Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people,

writing to you from the music city. Thought I would join in the fun, I purchased a Taurus new PT 740 yesterday from Academy Sports. Had a chance to shoot about 80 rounds through it today. I shot American Eagle 180 grain and some other brand that the range had. I paid 21.95 per box of 50. Both brands were fine, I was a bit worried considering all the bad press Taurus can get. I was also worried because Im new to the semi auto pistol world, I owned a Taurus .38 special for about 15 years. Nice gun, had rosewood grip, nickel finish. I finally sold it at a gun show to purchase a semi auto.

I had been looking at 9mm guns, mostly in the CC/sub compact category, I was leaning toward an S and W Shield but got tired of looking and was not willing to pay more than retail. Anyway, I landed on this PT 740, the price of 299.00 seemed very reasonable. It came with a plastic case, one mag, a couple keys and a cleaning brush. I called Taurus today to ask if this was supposed to come with 2 magazines, I was told this model comes with one mag and a box, no case. So I guess Academy messed up and gave me a case, kinda weird.

I did fire about 80 rounds today, did OK, I would probably be more happy with a 9mm but Ill get used to this. I ordered a Pearce grip extension today from Amazon for 10 bucks free shipping. Im looking for an IWB holster for lefties. Also Academy sports carries magazines for this model gun, they were about 29.00 I believe, Ill probably go back and pick a couple up since it looks like Im keeping this gun.
NO extended mags for this gun are available according to Taurus.

BTW the old .38 special I owned had a problem and I sent it to Taurus for repair several years ago, they were prompt and courteous, not only fixed the gun but cleaned it up very well, my aunt had this gun in florida and it was pitted from the salt air. So hats off to Taurus service!

Looking forward to shooting this gun more!

Taurus PT 740
SW M and P 15
SW M and P 15-22
Springfield model 86c
Raven Arms .25

·
Registered
701 Posts
Welcome from little ole New Hampshire, have never been down ur way but one of my Buds just moved to Bowling Green and mentioned only 60 mi away! I will get there this Summer.

Reactions: hitthemhard

·
Administrator
39,941 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Welcome from South Tulsa.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, glad to have you. One of our supporting vendors makes a "lefty" IWB holster for the 740. I have one of his holsters for my 24/7 G2 in .40 and love it.

Here is a link to his site:

http://theisholsters.com/holsters.php

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
:wave: hi ya and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro.

·
Super Moderator
21,587 Posts
Welcome from Franklin TN there are about 20 of us in the mid state area a pretty good show for this fine Forum. Just jump right in!!! :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello and welcome from Southeast Tennessee;;

1 - 20 of 47 Posts