Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the Alabama Gulf Coast. I've been shooting for 37 years and I've owned several Taurus handguns in my time, so I'm not really a newbie. I do most of the work on my guns, except for machining - that's what warranties are for.
Most of the Taurus handguns I have owned have been Millennium and Millennium Pros; a PT140 Pro, a PT145 Pro, PT745 a 24/7, and a 450T. I'm aware of various past problems with the early Millennium series and the magazine problems of the 24/7 in 45. I have encountered a few problems of my own, but these were mostly limited to light strikes that replacement firing pins instantly corrected.. I did have one recoil guide assembly on a PT745 completely fail in less than 100 rounds. Yes, it was a brand new gun, I always use factory ammo, and I NEVER use +P ammo in any firearm. I doubt that that there is a flaw in the design of the recoil guide assembly, and I truly believe this sort of thing happens rarely. It was most likely a 1 in a 1,000,000 occurrence.
I have had a CCL for quite a few years, and yes, I do carry religiously. My most often carried handgun is a Kahr PM9 with Pearce Grip Extensions for all my flat based mags, Novak low profile rear sights and have installed Nitesiters all around http://www.nitesiters.com/ As a matter of fact, I've installed Nitesiters on all of my other handguns save my Ruger 22/45.
I also carry a Kahr MK40 with MMC adjustable sights (Nitesiters), Pearce Grip Extensions and a Houge Handall Jr. The PM9 normally rides in a DeSantis Nemesis holster in a front pocket. The MK40, and sometimes the PM9, ride in a Galco M5X MATRIX. The MK40 also rides in a Don Hume JIT, along with a spare magazine I carry in a Don Hume 200B Magazine carrier. Sometimes I carry either Kahrs in a Don Hume PCCH IWB Holster if I have to wear a suit - which isn't too darn often.

I have just ordered a Taurus 24/7 Pro C in 45 (stainless) which should be in Tuesday or Wednesday. The reason I settled on this particular model, is because I want a concealable 45 that has the features I want and reliability at a price I can afford. I have liked the looks of the 24/7 series from the first moment I saw one, and immediately took to both it's feel and natural pointing. I also appreciate the stainless steel slide. The gulf coast is, as anyone who has lived here or visited it in the summer months, is extremely humid. Immediately after Hurricane Katrina and until the power was restored, I carried a 9mm (I'm not going to say who the manufacturer was) under my shirt from the time I got up until I went to bed. When the power came back on I decided to clean and lube it. As I was about to take it down, I noticed a brownish residue between its steel slide and polymer frame. The wire springs that were on the pistol's port (left) side, that had sat next to my body, had rusted. It turned out that about 1/4" of the tip of the barrel (inside the slide) had also began to rust as well. After a thorough cleaning with 0000 steel wool, a day of soaking in penetrating oil, and a close inspection afterward, I got rid of the gun. Since then, I insist on stainless steel for concealment weapons.
I know that the full size 24/7 fits in a Fobus RU97, but I suspect the SP11B that fits the PT145, may also fit the 24/7 Pro C. I might have a few other holsters laying around that might fit it also. I'll know in a couple of days and get back with you on this.
I carry my S&W M&P 45 in a Fobus paddle made for the M&P40 quite often. When I want to conceal it even better, I use a leather Galco, Model CON 488. This same holster also fits my S&W Sigma 40GVE perfectly. It was originally for a S&W 99.

·
Administrator
40,346 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

Sounds like you will have a lot of valuable information to contribute. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
fedora1953, welcome to Taurus Armed from VEGAS!

Good intro! :thumb:

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Welcome from Utah. Sounds like you have alot to offer and helping smith some problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome from upstate South Carolina!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome from the Land of Lincoln.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome from southern Oregon