Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I found this site by accident, but decided to register and become part of the community. I am a LONG time Taurus owner, my first handgun that I bought was a PT-99... back in 1990. I still have that gun, and I have not done a thing to it, but feed it a steady diet of 9mm rounds over the years. It is old, and worn, but still shoots very, very true.

I am a recent owner of a wonderful PT-1911. This is my FIRST 1911, and I must say... I am very happy with it. I am an Active Duty Army guy, and a recent graduate of the Arabic Language Program out at DLI in California. I just recieved my new duty assignment in Florida (MacDill) and decided that as a graduation present to myself, I would purchase a 1911.

Now, I am a self proclaimed lover of ALL things Glock, so learning to shoot a 1911 was something I was a bit skeptical about. I am a CCW licensee through the State of Florida, and have been for years. My daily carry gun is a Glock 36, and my "shooter" is a pretty worked over G21. I have not had any experience with the 1911 platform since I came in the Army back in 1987, and we already had the M-9 then. So, I did not get the chance to shoot a 1911 until I was out in California. I had my eyes set on a Kimber Warrior, or a Springfield Armory TRP Operator... but, after shooting both of those weapons, against my trusty Glock 21, I could not justify the expense. After all, I shot much faster, and more accurate with my G21... and I could buy 3 of those for one of the aforementioned 1911's.

So, I bought the Taurus. It had more "features" than any gun in it's price range... and I loved the way it felt in my hand.

Here it is, after about a month of ownership... give or take, and now, exactly 1800 rounds through it... I am one pleased owner. It shoots amazingly well, and does not hiccup at all. The only thing I have done to the weapon, is replace the black plastic grips, with some Pac American Legend Series grips, and purchase 6 new Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" magazines, a Blackhawk CQC Serpa Paddle Holster, a FOBUS paddle dual mag holder, and a steady diet of rounds for it.

It is more than accurate enough for me, even though I do not like the sights. Future plans are this... Install ES-Big Dot sights on it, and add a Wilson Magwell and then get a few 10 rounds mags, and shoot IDPA or IPSC Limited 10 and see how it fares against my G21.

So, there ya have it in a nutshell... I will also be adding to the 1911 threads. So far, I am all grins!

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Another Floridian. Welcome from accross the Bay. You'll find plenty of happy PT 1911, and PT 99 (or 92,100,101) owners here. You'll also find that many others of us have and enjoy other brands. Jump in. Enjoy.
Also, thank you for your service in these trying times.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome aboard, we're glad you could join us and thank you for your service to our nation. My best friend is active Army and has been deployed to Afghanistan 2x now, though recently was able to return to Fort Drum.

PT92/99 & PT1911 owners are well represented here with many forum members owning one or both. The PT92 is my favorite pistol though the PT1911 is challenging it's sibling for 'favored status'. It's hard not to love both though and I do.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Best Wishes. :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Welcome Darren,
Another 'Thank you' to you for your service. From only a part-time FL guy, just a couple hrs south of you. Just get down there when it gets cold up here.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Ron from Oregon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.