Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have two Taurus revolvers: 1 Model 92 22LR 4 inch and 2. Model 85 38 special 2 inch. I have concealed carried the 38 before in PA.
I have always wanted a pistol and a couple weeks ago I bought a New 24/7 PRO 4 inch 15+1. It has been cold and snowy until last week.
I went out to shoot friday for practice for my carry permit and had 2 misfires in 30 rounds and a failure to eject. I didn't go for my permit it also shot 8 inches low and I cannot find a way to adjust for elevation. It has two windage adjustments though.
I looked on the Taurus website to see what to do and had to go back to 2009 to find it. It was the last one and I took it probably customers have been leaving it cocked for 4 or 5 years what do they care!
I am pissed that they didn't tell me it was a 2009 and the instructor who will now have a MN and UT carry permit that Taurus Pistols have had 9 out of 10 problems on the range.
Does anyone know about a good fix for the misfires? I need night sites anyway and would not abandon the gun if I was sure it was safe.
Dave

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Southeast Tennessee;; I would say #1 to give the gun a good cleaning, #2 try a different
ammo, #3 the Taurus has a life time warranty, give Taurus Customer Service a Call and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

Can't help on the sight adjustment, but as for the misfires you might try giving the firing pin channel a good cleaning. There are threads in the 24/7 or MilPro sections on detail stripping to really get it clean. I doubt leaving it cocked will cause this, but gunk build up or a broken striker spring can cause this. My Gen 1 24/7 I leave cocked and locked all the time and don't have any issues. I did use some cheap Tul Ammo once and it broke the spring. Easy to replace though. Of course this is me assuming the spring and firing pin channel of the Gen 2 is similar to the Gen 1.

·
22,058 Posts
Welcome from Griffin Ga.

Good advice. Make sure the gun is clean.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Welcome from the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, Yooperville!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Welcome from Plano TX to the best gun forum on the Internet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Y'all for the advice about gunk in the pin channel. Taurus manual has a blowup that I can work from to tear it down that far. And some good solvent/lube that I have used on all my other guns. Only reason I haven't taken it apart before this is Taurus is so damn paranoid about taking it apart that far. Manual says about 500 times not to field strip it only every 200 rounds. Not to use much solvent because it will get into the bullets. What a bunch of BS I will have it fixed in no time. I doubt super X ammunition did anything. Hitting them again double action fired them both. I am going to get tritium sights anyway I will just make sure the back one will adjust up. The newer one you have probably has regular sites. Mine has Hiney sites that you make an 8 out of to aim. I think that is where the poor guys head had been. LOL they are too dim for me to see well anyway. My wife is from south Texas and You just be forgetting about that republic stuff. I might need a new wife sometime. God Save The Union!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome from StL. MO!!

·
Registered
14,923 Posts
Welcome from northeastern Kentucky! :wave:

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,427 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome, Dave, from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Blue Yellow Text Photograph Colorfulness Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

·
Registered
304 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia. :wave:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net, the firearms forum where you will find a wealth of handgun knowledge, literally, at your fingertips.

The members here are a friendly and helpful group of folks, and the moderators actually moderate and keep this forum in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts