Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to this site and just purchased my first Taurus Millenium PT 111 Pro 9mm. I have always owned a revolver and never had issues with ammo until the new adminstration started talking gun control. So, I purchased the gun and then asked the sales person where the ammo was..... none in stock and now I can't find ammo for the darn thing.

Well, in reviewing the manual, it says that I can use a bullet weight of 124 gr with a 1225 fps muzzle velocity. As you know, Ammo is hard to find, so I ran across some Hornady 9mm 147 gr XTP with a rated 975 fps muzzle velocity, but it has a 147gr vs. the 124 gr.

Can I use this ammo that I have or should I try to find 124 gr ammo ? If I use it, will I damage my pistol if I use this larger, slower ball than the smaller, faster ball.

I thank You in advance !

Andy

Taurus Millenium Pro PT 111 9mm
Ruger Security Six 38/357 Revolver
Windham SRC AR-15

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
Hi Andy, it is my pleasure to welcome you to the forum.

I'm sorry that I cannot offer you any insight on the ammunition question you posed, but I can congratulate you on your choice of the Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro pistol for your first semi-automatic gun.

This line of pistols has proven to be one of the most dependable lines in the Taurus polymer pistol category.

I've owned three MilPros (PT138, PT111, and the PT145) and am a huge fan of the Millennium series.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Andy, you can shoot 115 grain, 124 grain and 147 grain 9mm ammo with no fear of hurting your PT111.

Most 9mm's are sighted in for 124 grain, although 115 grain has traditionally been the most common weight of bullet to find at big box stores.

Fewer 9mm shooters opt for the 147 grain bullets, preferring the lighter faster ones. In the current market for ammo, one probably needs to purchase whatever they reasonably can.

While the PT111 is rated to handle +P ammo, I would have a preference to standard pressure loads in it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
1WELCOME TO TA... I also have the 111 (had 2) and also the 145. Great weapons. Yes the manual recommments the 124 gr. I must admit I have use the 115 FMJ for target and the 124 and a few 147 (very few) with no problems. I would suggest the 115 and 124.. try a few and see how the 111 reacts and responds too..
THe shortage of ammo of all kinds has brought many challenges. I simply just keep shopping about for my ammo. Especially checking WalMart and academy. Most of the target ammo is in short supply, personal or home defense ammo seems to pop up more lately... but its $$$$$

Best of shooting to you!

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from North Texas! :wave: you can shoot almost any 9mm ammo in the PT-111 but I wouldn't feed it too much +P ammo, which will beat up you gun and shorten its life. That will be clearly labeled on the box of ammunition.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, as others have stated you can use whatever 9mm ammo you can find. Just keep in mind that the firearm was probably sighted in using the 124 grain so the lighter grain ammo may not be spot on but you can adjust to the offset by practicing.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Yellow Facial expression Emoticon Text Smile
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank You All for the friendly welcomes and for the information provided. Yes, this is my first semi-automatic pistol so I'm going to go out and drop a few rounds after all the rain stops. I did happen to go by a retail store and they had a few boxes of 115gr 9mm, so I grabbed whatever I could and I will use this for practice, but as I was going thru another store, I found their two last boxes of 25rnds of the 147gr HP and I wanted to have them for Self Defense (SD) as that I travel to Houston from time to time and recently ran into several potential dangerous situations downtown that I was able to avert, but now I don't want to take any chances.

So, I plan to use the 115gr for practice and the 147gr HP for SD.

Thank You again for the Welcomes, advice and I look forward to learning more from everyone.

Andy

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
You can shoot it no problem, but as many have said the 124gr is recommended mostly due to the fixed sights. The 147 gr may shoot a tad high. But many complain these guns "shoot low" because they don't completely understand how the sights are supposed to work, so you might find it shoots just fine.

I have a PT609 which is almost identical to your gun except with a slightly longer grip and I shoot 147gr about half the time. In times like these, shoot what you can find.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome, from Dallas! Congrats on the 111, they are great guns and should fit your situation perfectly.
I know the feeling about finding ammo lately, but you should be able to feed it whatever you find. I agree with the posts concerning +P loads, stick with standard.

I would recommend running at least a couple mags of that 147-grain ammo through it, just to see if it feeds correctly, and you have an idea of the sight picture with the heavier slug. If it's your personal defense choice, you really don't want any surprises if it needs to be used!

I know what you mean about the rain - we need it, but it's getting old at this point. Heading to the range today myself, but luckily it's indoors!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Tell me about not finding 9mm ammo. It is like hen's teeth. Maybe I should have bought a .40 cal, there seems to be allot of that on the shelf. I have yet to shoot my new PT111 and it maybe a while before I do.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.