Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am mostly a newbie to hand guns. I owned a S&W 38 close to 30 years ago but sold it. I was about to get married and needed the money more than I needed a hand gun. Fast forward to today I am semi-retired with three kids in college and decided the time was right to take up target shooting again. All those years ago Taurus did not have a very good reputation and I am sorry to say the little experience I had with one only confirmed what I had heard. When I started researching "affordable" handguns (did I mention 3 kids in college?) the brand Taurus kept coming up along with a few others I wasn't very familiar with. It also seemed that every question I typed in search in one way or another led me to this forum. I found many useful and honest answers to all my questions and allowed me to learn enough to research new question I had not thought of before.

To make a long story longer, today I purchased two new Taurus revolvers. A model 94 22lr with a 4" bbl for practice and target shooting and a model 66 357mag.also with a 4"bbl for my daughters many boyfriends (I swear I am joking). I have not had a chance to take them out yet though I do look forward to it. I am wondering if anyone has any advise, comments about these weapons, or things I should keep an eye out for. I hate surprises. One last question and I will get out of here. I have always shot outdoors and now that is not an option. I have found a local indoor shooting range I plan to join next week. As I am not familiar with indoor ranges does any have advise or can tell me what to expect. I have visited the range but it was full that day and I didn't get to find out more than the basics. Any insight you have would be welcomed.

Thanks again for all the post and good advise you have given me. Even if you didn't know you were. Take care

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. to the greatest forum around.....

·
Registered
31,699 Posts
Welcome from Lubbock, TX. Just be forewarned that the model 94 as well as most .22 revolvers have a heavy double action.

Rimfire cartridges seem to need a hard strike. With a lot of shooting, the trigger will get somewhat lighter, but still feel heavy in Double action. Most folks who try different things to lighten the hammer spring usually mess up the ability to ignite the primer.

The trigger on single action firing will get smoother as time goes on and you put a couple of thousand rounds through it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico, I do not own either of these revolvers but have heard many good things about them both. As far as routine indoor shooting be sure that you have a good set of hearing protection especially for the model 66. I have a good set of noise cancelling ear plugs that work well for all of my handguns except my model 617. The pitch that the 357 magnum emits cuts through them so I use them as well as ear muffs when I shoot it.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! Congrats on your new purchases. I know what you mean about the daughter's bfs. I'm lucky, mine is getting married next month (lucky means poor :).

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois and welcome back to the exciting and meaningful world of shooting. Maybe plan to visit the range for 45 minutes before you plan to shoot to meet the operators, do some poking around if they have merchandise and get the lay of the land. They will have their range rules posted. You will need hearing protection and glasses. If you wear glasses those will be fine, but consider either getting side shields or "over glasses" that will offer protection from any shrapnel that wants to come at you from the side. You'll be shooting your revolver, but if you decide to rent/buy a semi-auto it's a good idea to wear a ball cap to help keep brass from coming off the ceiling to wedge in your glasses or fly down your shirt.)

Many revolver shooters will get "snap caps" which are dummy rounds to put in your cylinder for the firing pin to impact. Fire your revolver indoors (after making sure all ammo is in another room) while watching TV to ease up the action. It's the poor man's trigger job.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas, Old Hickory!

·
Registered
7,565 Posts