Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone. Been looking for a CCW and the trail has brought me here. LOL Looking for a little guidance and was hoping you all could help me out. I recently sold my J Frame 442, specifically, because I wanted something that could fire both .357 and .38. Just wanted to add that functionality and was honestly a little bored with the 442. Initially I looked at the 2 inch SP101, as well as the Ruger LCR in .357. I had been drooling over a Taurus PT92 and started taking a look at options on the revolver front from Taurus. My main concern are the reports of unreliability of Taurus Revolvers. Granted, it's definitely the minority, but the stories of cylinders expanding and sticking after firing have me a little hesitant about choosing a Taurus as a CCW. Is this something I should be concerned about now? Taurus appears to have come a ways, and it doesnt appear like their line has remained stagnant as they are constantly adding new models to their line up. If anyone could give me an idea of what I should expect, that would be greatly appreciated. I have fired a friends Taurus in .44 MAG and it was a great experience, and it was a beautiful firearm to boot!!

So what are the thoughts about the possibility of a Taurus firearm as a CCW, preferably something in .357? Please feel free to make some suggestions. Thanks, and you guys have an awesome site here.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Hello from Piqua Ohio.

I'm sure that someone who knows a whole lot more about Taurus revolvers will be here soon to help you out, until then I would only like to say that the PT92 is more than drool worthy much more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am new to Taurus firearms as well. I was hesitant at first but took the plunge and haven't looked back. You know bad news travels 10 times faster than good news and anything man-made has potential for failure. That said, I love my model 94 Taurus. I had also heard the same issues with this model but so far mine has been absolutely flawless. Their firearms are made well and have a great look to boot. Hard to beat in my book.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have no experiance with taurus revolvers, but I would consider looking into the PT line for CCW. I totally understand if you are a revolver guy, but if your open to other types the PT series is a great choice.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins...

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Keep in mind that a lot of the negative comments are not first hand knowledge. "I heard from a friend," or "A buddy of mine had a xxx and said it was a POS." One first hand experience is worth 10,000 expert opinions. I don't have a Taurus revolver, but do have a couple of semi-autos. If the quality and reliability of my semi-autos is indicative of the quality of the entire line, you should be very happy with your choice. But depend upon the experience of someone who actually has one.

·
5,686 Posts
Welcome from Central IL. I'm a wheel gun girl. Look into the Model 605 .357 mag for carry. I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
First, welcome aboard! I have a Taurus 605SS. It has proven itself to be a very reliable and accurate revolver. With factory grips, I found shooting .357's to be not much fun. I swithed to Hogue monogrips and they made it a totally differedt gun. The .357's were no longer a problem, and you can get a three finger grip. There are many good holsters out there. Pick what you like. Anything for a J frame will fit. I use Dun Hume holsters. A JIT for OWB, and a 715 IWB.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I carry a Rossi 461 w/3 inch barrel (.357) as a backup gun. Six shots. Is reliable and backs up my 1911 quite nicely. Buy a Taurus and make up your own mind or let a friend shoot his. You can read something negative about every make and model of weapon out there. That is the joy of the Internet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome from Central Pa!!!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I bought a Taurus 617 2" SST a couple of years ago as I too wanted the option of either 38's or 357's and the fact that it has a 7 round cylinder to me was a plus. I measured the width across the cylinder and it is just very slightly thicker than my Colt Cobras the extra 12 ounces of weight really tame recoil of the 357 magnums. Taurus appears to bulid their revolvers with tighter B/C gap ( which isn't all bad ) and I found that some chambers on my 617 had less than .002" gap, which didn't take long to crud up and cause the cylinder to bind. A brief vacation to South Florida all expenses paid by Taurus fixed the problem and it has since never caused a problem. I have NO QUALMS to stake my life on it as long as I do my part.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I do not have a 357 but the M85 revolver I have has never given me any problems, I am considering a 357 as my next purchase though. The PT92 is a really sweet gun but it may be a tad large for some CCW applications. As with any item there will be a problem here and there and more likely in the newer lines till the bugs are worked out. The main thing to consider is your comfort in the gun. Wheel guns are generally easier to use (point and shoot) where as semi-autos can provide many more rounds available. Try to handle and shoot several of each before deciding.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Here's my matte stainless M605 Taurus .357, and I have to say I'd trust my life to it as a concealed carry handgun.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
By the way, I've owned an M85 .38 Special revolver for twenty years, and recently gave it to my father for his concealed carry handgun.

I still have confidence that this revolver still has the "stuff" to protect my Dad should he ever have to use it for SD purposes.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome from Fla, enjoy the forum!

I have a Taurus M65 357 4" barrel, love it and it shoots with no problems, after 3 to 4 loads the cylinder heats up and I let it cool down, had a 605 and carried it for a few months, ended up trading it for my Glock 19, wish I still had it. Found that with the 605 357 loads were a handful to shoot, the cylinder would get hot after 4 loads, I think all revolvers do that, the nature of the gun. Was at the range last week and a guy was shooting a brand new S&W 357 6" barrel revolver (don't remember the model), he shot two loads of 357 mag and could not eject the spent casings. Made me feel real good about my Taurus.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts