Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the PT 1911 with the standard three dot before they began using the Heinie Straight 8 sights. Some people seem to not like them, why is that? I had some I Dots on my M&P and loved those. Also, is there anyone who doesn't like the straight 8s and would like to swap for a standard three dot set?

·
Registered
37,328 Posts
AHHH JIM????
haven't you ever heard the old question?
what came first the hienie straight eight or the novak three dot????-LOL
The hienies were first I do believe..
There is a handful of us here that Have the Straight Eights and like/love them but most people it seems couldn't adapt to them.
for me they are much faster on target, faster on return to target and easier to follow a moving target than three dots.
Shoot I like my old beat up PT1911 with the hienies so well i bought her a new dress, a trip to the beauty parlor and some new shoes!
Notice she still likes to show off her Hienies though!

Attachments

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Heine still makes the straight 8 night sights for the PT1911.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
37,328 Posts
Heine still makes the straight 8 night sights for the PT1911.
They certainly do!
The Straight Eight sights weren't developed for the Pt1911, they were around before then.--:yipee:
I actually think Sig Sauer might have been the first to put them on a weapon, At least thats the first pistol i saw with them on it.
They are not cheap however!

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
My old Sig 228, Beretta 85, 92, and MilPro came with Heine sights. I like them.
I suppose that if I was doing some distance bulls eye target shooting it might would matter. But all I do is up close up and quick shooting.
My Bersas all have 3 dot sights, and I seem to do better groups with them- when trying to group. They point and shoot well too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad, according to the Taurus website, my PT1911 was manufactured in 2009. I personally like the two dot sights, but $139 hurts my wallet haha. That's why I was hoping someone who didn't like the standard straight 8s would trade for the novak three dots.

·
Registered
867 Posts
After getting used to the Heinie Straight Eight Trijicon night sights on my PT1911 (apparently it was a factory option when the previous owner bought the gun in 2007 because it is indicated at the end of the model number: 1-191101NS), I would love to get a set to put on my STI Spartan III also. I think they work great as a general use sight, and man are they bright. I switch between the two 1911s as my daily carry gun, so I'd like to have night sights on both. But, my goodness they're pricey! :eek: They probably aren't actually that expensive when compared to other night sights, but they're a little rich for my blood right now. I guess I'll have to wait a few years before I can scrape the cash together to make it happen.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Now I'm starting to second guess myself... were all of the Heinie sights on PT1911s night sights, or was there a "standard" version with just regular white dots?

·
Registered
37,328 Posts
Now I'm starting to second guess myself... were all of the Heinie sights on PT1911s night sights, or was there a "standard" version with just regular white dots?
All that i have personally seen on Pt1911's (which is 3-4 sets) were all standard sights, Now I don't know if Taurus ever placed tritium straight eights on a PT1911 from the factory or not?
I know Hienie has made them for some time, still do I think.
Last I checked on the Striaght eights seems they were in the 150.00 range for really any pistol they make them for.

Reactions: PCS01

·
Registered
37,328 Posts
My bad, according to the Taurus website, my PT1911 was manufactured in 2009. I personally like the two dot sights, but $139 hurts my wallet haha. That's why I was hoping someone who didn't like the standard straight 8s would trade for the novak three dots.
Yea , that sounds better Jim,(2009 was likely near the end of the Hienies I think?) you can always tell the age of a PT1911 by the hienies, kind of like FINS on a late 50-early 60's Automobile!--GriiiN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jim, The main difference is the 2 dot vertical orientation of the Hienies (and XS) vs. 3 dot horizontal orientation. I have used both quite a bit in IDPA and regular range work. For me, the Vertical sight picture is much more intuitive and faster. Others prefer the horizontal 3 dots.
Several years ago I was in an advanced pistol class that included several LEOs and 2 fine gentlemen from XS sights in Ft. Worth, the instructor of the class was telling us behind thier backs that the XS sights were no good. I kept an open mind and ended up buying them for my next Glock.
Try everything that interests you and use what works best.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim, The main difference is the 2 dot vertical orientation of the Hienies (and XS) vs. 3 dot horizontal orientation. I have used both quite a bit in IDPA and regular range work. For me, the Vertical sight picture is much more intuitive and faster. Others prefer the horizontal 3 dots.
Several years ago I was in an advanced pistol class that included several LEOs and 2 fine gentlemen from XS sights in Ft. Worth, the instructor of the class was telling us behind thier backs that the XS sights were no good. I kept an open mind and ended up buying them for my next Glock.
Try everything that interests you and use what works best.
I've used the Ameriglo Pro I Dots on an M&P, and I loved them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the PT 1911 with the standard three dot before they began using the Heinie Straight 8 sights. Some people seem to not like them, why is that? I had some I Dots on my M&P and loved those. Also, is there anyone who doesn't like the straight 8s and would like to swap for a standard three dot set?
Jim, PM sent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts