Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mind is made up to purchase a blued model MilPro in .45 cal. I like everything about the pistol. However, it's gonna take a little time for me to get used to those Heinie straight 8 sights. I would like to hear from others about how they like/dislike these particular sights. Thanks in advance fellas.

Reno

·
Registered
16 Posts
They are good sights when you get used to them you have to line them up right. I changed the color on mine also to orange front yellow rear. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
They are pretty good sights. One thing to remember, my way of aiming might not be your way. I'm talking about spacing between the dots. When I first took mine to the range, I shot off of sandbags. Took the target out 10 yards, sat down at the table and rested on the bags. After some shots, I could see how much space to put between the dots to make it hit at the top of my front sight. I make my point of impact the top of my front sight. If you do the same sight picture over and over again, after a while, it becomes second nature.
"my gun shoots low" No, your gun shoots where the barrel is pointing. When you know your gun and sight picture versus point of impact, then you just need to practice, practice, and practice some more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No Dinks, it has to be the gun shooting low because I am perfect HAHAHA. That's funny you mention it about the shooter shooting low and not the gun because I catch myself saying my gun shoots low all the time. I am getting better with these sights everytime I go to the range. I do like the concept better than the traditional sight picture. I find them easier and quicker to bring on target.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When shooting my PT145 only they are fine, my only gripe is when shooting multiple guns at the range it just takes me a minute to transition. In and of themselves the Heine's are fine though.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
One suggestion... if you don't line the straight 8 dots... just paint them black and use the sights.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I only have 100 rounds through my new PT-145, and the straight 8's are a bit of challenge for me at this point, but I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not my favorite. As posted previously, it will take more range time to discover POI in relationship to the "stack" of the sight. They can be tough to use on smaller targets. I do find these sights faster to use once you have used them awhile.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's like switching cars. It only takes a little bit to get used to it. The more you switch between guns, the easier it gets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The sights are my ONLY gripe about the gun. I have a 24/7 PRO .45 ACP and the wife has a PT111 9mm. I am in the military so practicing with a different sight picture is not that hard but the wife has had some issues making the adjustment. Still, all in all, it is a great weapon and I would trust my life with the weapon. Practice, practice and more practice. More range time, DARN, like we need an excuse to begin with.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I don't like them at all! As soon as some good aftermarket night sights (meprolight, etc.) are available for them, these are coming off!

Todd

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the second generation PT145 sights. I do my best to ignore them...as well as all my small, short barreled pistols in favor of the point shooting method. I just point my index finger at the BG/target while it is along side the front pistol slide while looking over the front sight with both eyes open. I then train myself to smoothly bring back the tip of the index finger onto the trigger. I train to shoot center of mass and then, repeat firing using the zipper method. Sights? We don't need no stinking sights. This isn't a match target shooting weapon...think I'll leave my six inch barrel and beyond weapons for that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i dig'em...

i kinda like my heinie sights. i wasnt too sure at first, but most of that came from what i have read by others not liking them. once i shot the gun with them i found that i get on target a LOT faster than with traditional 3-dot sights. i was shooting low at first (me, not the gun) but that was before i learn the proper alignment and spacing of the sights. this gun, with the heinie sights is pretty accurate. i usually shoot it at around 7 yards and dont extend past 10 for the most part...no need to with this gun as i practice for reality with it. if i wanna show off at the range i will use me XD40, with traditional sights.

by the way...i like the 2-dot system so much that i am even thinking to put it on my XD as well. im thinking to go with the XS 24/7 Sights (Big Dot). if they made those for the PT145PRO id get them for it too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the dovetailed front and rear is a big improvement over the originals, but I have never been a fan of Richard's "Straight 8" configuration... but hey, as an old salesman once said to me: You gotta have a hook, to get folks to look! ;D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts