Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of reports of Taurus guns with the Heine Sights shooting low. So that you can see what the factory says, that is Heine who designed the sights, here is their statement...

Taurus 24/7 Pistol Sights

Taurus is using sights, which were designed by Richard Heinie specifically for the Taurus 24/7 Pistol. Taurus manufactures the sight under a license agreement with Richard Heinie and Heinie Specialty Products, Inc.

These sights are designed to be used as follows: Point of Aim Point of Impact, at 20-25 yards. In simple terms, Dead On. These are not designed to be used with a six o'clock hold.

Richard has personally tested several Taurus 24/7 Pistols in 9MM, 40S&W and 45ACP...each of these pistols have performed as stated above. If you are shooting low, be sure you are using the correct hold and that you are not pulling the pistol down during the trigger stroke.

Heinie Specialty Products, Inc. does not have replacement sigths for the Taurus 24/7 Pistols. At this time we do not have night sights for these pistols. If you have a problem with the Taurus 24/7 Pistol or the sights, please contact Taurus Customer Service.

http://www.heinie.com/taurus.php

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello! I'm new here. I found this forum about a week ago while searching for answers to my problems with a 24/7.

I decided to register after reading this thread.

I talked to a girl at heine about 2 weeks ago. She gave me this same blurb, and also steered me to therir website which says the same thing.

I bought two 24/7 9mm from Budsgunshop.com. They arrived a few weeks ago. I have an 11 yard "test" range in my shop, where i test loads and sights and stuff on various handguns.

One of my 24/7 pistols shoots nice groups from a rest, spot on the bullseye. It will put 10 shots in a 2" group, with only very occasional flyers.

The other 24/7 shoots awesome groups (really tight) that are 1.5" low at 11 yards from the same rest.

I'm using the POA=POI technique. I have repeated the comparison process several times, once "blinded".

There's no question that the gun is "off".

I've tried to get Taurus to send me a new sight or at least tell me if there are different "elevation" front or rear sights available to tweak POI. But I'vbe had no luck. Talking to their CS people on the phone is like talking to a rude punk.

I guess I'll send the damn thing to Miami. No other choice.

That's my .02.

·
Registered
18 Posts
6 O'Clock Hold

Not being an expert on handgun sights what in the world is a 6 O'Clock hold and what should the sight picture look like when shooting with Heinie Sights. My PT140 is shooting about 6" low at 7 yards with the the intended point of impact on top of the front sight post. I've looked on the Heinie web site for a description of what the sight picture should be all I can find is the blurb about not using a 6 O'Clock hold.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I took my new PT145 to the range yesterday. It has these sights on it and if I put the front target dot ON the bullseye and then line the bottom dot up so that it makes an 8, it shoots 1-1/2 - 2" low at 10yds, about 1" low at 7 yds. My son shot it also and was dead on but he actually ignored the rear site except for alignment. I then tried it again and just put the front site on the bullseye and used the bottom dot for alignment only, didn't pay too much attention to the height or distance between the two dots. What do you know?! 2" groups, maybe 1/2 - 1" low at 10yds. I can't ask for more than that. Now I'll practice with it like this and see if I can get any better. BUT, for a 3" bbl, 45ACP with 230gr lead, that's not bad!!

I think my problem with these sites is putting too much thought into them. Instead of doing like my son who just picked it up and shot with it without me even telling him how to use the sites. He was even more accurate than me!! I guess the KISS principle really applies with these sites...

·
Registered
54 Posts
z3406 - the 6 o'clock hold is what you described in your post: hold the intended POI just over the top of the front post. Thus, the front post becomes the six for the POI.

Proper use of Heinie Straight 8 sights: Under 25 yards, cover the POI with the front dot. Your sight picture is a "straight 8", with the intended POI obscured by the front dot.

Over 25 yards, use the 6 o'clock hold.

On my "good" pistol, when I hold the front dot over the POI at 11 yards, it so happens that my front post is both centered within the rear notch, and also level with the rear sight. In other words, it looks normal. The only diff from a normal sight picture is the higher hold.

I agree with the obsevations from pgreen7436: the sights are very "instinctive" and provide very rapid acquisition. You don't have to over-think them.

On my "good" gun, I can whip it up and fire quickly with good results.

On my "bad" gun, I hit low whether I am firing quickly from a draw or slowly from a rest.

My "bad" gun either has a defective sight, or an internal alignment problem, or, if Taurus made different "elevation" sights for either front or rear, my gun was built with the wrong size piece.

I can't know if the wrong size piece was used because Customer service people at Taurus don't know, and they won't let you talk to Tech or gunsmith people. They just keep repeating: send it in, send it in.

Taurus made the sights for these guns. Heinie licensed the sight design to them, and participated in the design of the actual pieces used on these guns. But Heinie did not make the pieces. They were made in Brazil.

If I knew whether different sizes were made, I could then just order a "shorter" front or a "taller" rear, and my gun would be perfect.

It runs and cycles perfectly, and as I said, it shoots wonderful groups. If a diff size sight piece was available, I would very much prefer buying one to sending my gun to Miami for a month or more.

Since the "hitting low" problem is fairly common, my personal opinion is that Taurus ought to be more helpful to their customer base by at least providing more information, if not free sight replacement parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Went to the range again today and was still shooting low at 10 yards for the first 20 rounds or so then I raised the top sight over the bullseye and it started getting better. Then I shot with only one hand and it got incredibly tight and on aim. So I guess I will shoot this one with one hand only! ;D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem. I'm generally on line with the bullseye vertically, but I'm shooting consistantly low.

Tried it with one hand and shot better groups. I'm perplexed. I'll try the advice from above.

Jeff P
Johns Creek, GA :-\

·
Registered
99 Posts
im having issue with the whole thing myself. As you can see with the pic I have posted, it shoots low and to the left consistantly. My groups are ok, just not where I am aiming. Should I sent the gun back, or have a gunsmith put some adjustable sights on it. This is my carry gun and these sights are driving me nuts. Or maybe the problem is me, any suggestions??? You will have to excuse all the taped over holes, I was moving the aiming point, all over and shooting 5 rds at a time, looking for group tightness and where the gun shoots compared to aim point. This thing is ALWAYS low and left of aimpoint, could it be me. I can put 50 rds in the 9/10 ring consistently with my 9mm at 30 feet, but it has adjustable sights and I sighted it in, so ideas??? This is rediculous....and embarassing, funny thing is I love the feel of the gun in every other respect....

·
Registered
37,212 Posts
Nigel , well the simple answer is to have a friend or range instructor that is a good shot with good fundamentals shoot the weapon and see how it does for them.
or shoot off a ransom rest.
as you do not list what "YOUR" weapon is I can't go much farther than that.
Not being nasty but I can't tell where you are grouping actually.
if you keep moving your point of aim its hard to tell!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought a .45 pro ds and shot it for the first time today. It has the 3 dot sights instead of the straight 8, but I am doing the exact same thing as you. Always way low and left. I too, am wondering if it's me or the pistol? The front sight does seem to be slightly shifted in the dovetail. The pistol functioned flawlessly for about 150 rounds. It is a great gun, just wish I could shoot it better.

·
Registered
99 Posts
olfarhors said:
Nigel , well the simple answer is to have a friend or range instructor that is a good shot with good fundamentals shoot the weapon and see how it does for them.
or shoot off a ransom rest.
as you do not list what "YOUR" weapon is I can't go much farther than that.
Not being nasty but I can't tell where you are grouping actually.
if you keep moving your point of aim its hard to tell!
my intention with each one was to see where the group ended up in response to the aimpoint. I circled the last two groups of 5 I shot and labled the yardage. The gun is a 24/7 pro c ds in .40 s&w. It could very well be me, but this is the only gun I cant seem to get the hang of aiming, and it appears I am not the only one with this problem. It seems to occur only on the Pro with hiene factory sights, which I have.
I will say I like your idea of having a second opinion, so Open call to anyone (Ft lauderdale/Miami area who would be able to meet me at the Bass Pro range in Dania Beach Florida, I would like to have someone else shoot my gun and see what the problem may or may not be. Ill pay range fees and have the ammo..

·
Registered
37,212 Posts
JU, don't matter, the novak three dots are POI = POA just like the heinie straight eights. you hold the front dot on the target not at 6 O'clock!
additonally the taurus mill and 24's have fairly long trigger and that many times will force the shooter to pull downward to complete the trigger cycle.
The sights could be off on both pistols, but let me ask you of all the complaints with the 24 & mill pistols seems like eevryone is low and left!
what are the odds that everybodies sights are off in the exact same position?
I will do a second post below this and post a Pistol chart that may (or may not) help you with your problems.
hope you get them worked out.

·
Registered
37,212 Posts
:D
Ok heres the pistol chart, its for a right handed shooter, if you shoot lefty then the groups will be flip flopped as to probelms.
:p

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
olfarhors said:
JU, don't matter, the novak three dots are POI = POA just like the heinie straight eights. you hold the front dot on the target not at 6 O'clock!
additonally the taurus mill and 24's have fairly long trigger and that many times will force the shooter to pull downward to complete the trigger cycle.
The sights could be off on both pistols, but let me ask you of all the complaints with the 24 & mill pistols seems like eevryone is low and left!
what are the odds that everybodies sights are off in the exact same position?
I will do a second post below this and post a Pistol chart that may (or may not) help you with your problems.
hope you get them worked out.
Now I can actually agree with this and can clearly see that this could be the problem with me.Now the question becomes figuring how to fix it. Thanks for posting the chart

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nigel Croker said:
Now I can actually agree with this and can clearly see that this could be the problem with me.Now the question becomes figuring how to fix it. Thanks for posting the chart

i was shooting the exact same way with my new pro ds 40. i had a guy watch me lastnight and i was pushing the muzzle down when i was pulling/jerking the trigger. he had an oss and was telling me he did the same thing till he figured the trigger out. he said to stroke it like you love it and don't take up the slack before firing.

so I tried it and it helped now i just need more practice here is a couple of my targets from lastnight

·
Registered
99 Posts
yes, I think that going from a 4 in barrrel 9mm to a 3 in .40 is probably taking some getting used to also. Ill try what you suggested. UPDATE: Wow, i was cleaning my gun and I just happened to notice that the rear sight was dressed all the way to the right edge of the slide, (see pic below). I loosened the set screw and shifted it to center (approx 1/32 in). and I hope that cures the lateral issue. I am begining to think the long trigger pull and some inadvertant anticipation on my part is responsible for the low issue. Ill know more this weekend when I can get to the range again. I was suprised to see the rear sight installed off center though, I cant believe I missed it although its a very minute amount for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts