Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So, I have a 1911. I'm fairly new to this gun but not 1911s. I'm also familiar with the differences between 70 and 80 series models. I've never been real happy with the trigger.

Recently, while cleaning, I dropped the firing pin safety plunger and spring. Dumb move not doing it over the bench I know. I found the plunger but not the spring. Via Brownells I picked up another spring. I heard talk that standard Colt springs may not fit. This one however dropped right in. Seems to work as before. While I had it down, I attempted to polish the trigger rails. I did not like the progress I made so I bought a Dan Wesson trigger for it. Made sure it was smoothe and fit well. Not dragging top or bottom and properly fitted take up and reset. Something isn't right. Maybe the firing pin safety spring is too heavy or this frame simply doesn't like the trigger, but the the pull has significantly increased. I'm guessing here, 8 lbs maybe? I mean it is almost hard to pull!

Any suggestions? I'm going to convert it to a series 70 via a shim from Brownells. I'm planning on taking it to my local gunsmith to have a trigger job done. Before I do though, I'd like your comments and experiences. Anyone care to offer up something?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hard to tell without seeing how the new trigger bow compares to the old when in the frame, but it could be that it's contacting the grip safety. Not contacting it enough to prevent dropping the hammer, but just enough to make it tougher to pull it past. I've tested the pull required to overcome the FP block before, and recall it being a mere 3-4 ounces so I can't imagine a new spring could be that much stronger without you noticing as you installed it. You could easily check this by leaving the slide off and testing the pull which will eliminate the PF block altogether.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Comparing apples to apples, I have a basic mil-spec Colt Series 70 and Colt Series 80. The trigger on the Series 80 is actually a little better. That being said, there can be variations from one production gun to the next. With the exception of a Taurus PT1911 project piece, I tend to leave the internals as-is. Was the pull also heavy with the factory trigger?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts