Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Heavy bullets question

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Bezoar 
#1 ·
OK, let's assume a .45 using 230 gr with a maximum pressure load for that gun.

Now let's say we want to put in heavy bullet like 270 gr. Do you automatically get a lower FPS since you're already at maximum load with the 230?

One loading writer says you actually have to back off the load some and specifically says it's not just because of less case space.

Thanks a million

JimL

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Whirlwind06 said:
That sounds right to me. If you are going to a heavier bullet then you would back off the powder charge.
The heavier the bullet the less powder charge you use.
Care to comment on why? Would pushing the heavier bullet build the pressure beyond the already reached maximum? Some other reason?

Thanks a million

JimL

Discussion starter · #6 ·
NativeTexan said:
Never assume, never think for yourself, always go by the manuals.
1. I never assume.

2. I always think for myself.

3. I'll probably never get a manual, because I have not and will probably never load a single round.

4. Why ask? This thread has answered by the back door a question that I couldn't get answered using a direct question.

Thanks a million

JimL

Discussion starter · #10 ·
texas shooter said:
We had a guy in our reloading group that always had to load everything to the max or beyond. This was pistols, rifles, shotguns etc. He always complained his guns were not as accurate as ours, but would never listen to us or the books. One day he split the cylinder on his S&W .45 revolver in 3 parts, he just got a couple of minor cut to the hand. He stopped then, and his shooting got better. To the day that I last saw him he never admitted it was his fault, it was always that "crappy S&W gun.
True story, believe it or not.
Hm. Gees, I may not be a loader, but I'm not just plain stupid. Why pay good money for the books and ignore them?

JimL

Discussion starter · #12 ·
NativeTexan said:
Normally, though, if you need to hot rod your gun,
I read a magazine article about using heavier bullets and didn't really "get" the mechanics - still don't.

NOTE: (My questions still have nothing to do with ME reloading, since I don't and won't. I'm just trying to wrap my mind around some concepts.)

Aside from book rules and all, purely theoretically:

1. Would putting a "heavy" bullet on a "medium bullet" load be what you would call hot rodding your gun, since it increases pressures?

2. Would putting a "light" bullet on that same "medium bullet" load be making it easier on the gun?

JimL

Discussion starter · #14 ·
NativeTexan said:
don't argue with the manuals.
I see I still haven't made my point about theorizing about what's going on as opposed to real loading.

I certainly get your point - and all the other re-loaders who've told me to follow the book. You sit down at a loading bench and follow rules. That's how you think. I sit down at a bowl of raisin bran and follow concepts. That's how I think. (When I was young and brilliant I sat under an apple tree and a branch fell on my head.) :)

JimL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.