Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
Yikes! Hope it recovers fully. I only wear a pair of electronic muffs and often think I should include plugs.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Hearing loss is cumulative and permanent. While you should get most of your hearing back, there will be some permanent loss. I was one of the only members of my PBR crew who wore hearing protection. And believe me, a Ma Deuce makes a loud bang. I can still hear pretty good for an old guy. Of course my wife will say my hearing is selective.

Please always, always wear ear and eye protection. Even .22. It's a much higher pitched sound than most center fire, but frequency has as much bearing as sound pressure.

·
Super Moderator
14,247 Posts
The last time that happened to me was the first time I shot an AR-15. I didn't realize that the stock partially uncovered the ear muff from my right ear until after shooting it a number of times. Took three days to get the after-effects to go away, and it never fully recovered.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The really stupid part is I had ear plugs in my truck. I just got the pistol that day and thought I could fire off 1 magazine to see how it would shoot without ear protection..bad idea. At least I was out in the country and not in a confined area. I'm pushing 70 I can't believe I would do something that dumb. On a positive note the pistol shot a nice group at 15 yds.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Hearing loss is cumulative and permanent. While you should get most of your hearing back, there will be some permanent loss. I was one of the only members of my PBR crew who wore hearing protection. And believe me, a Ma Deuce makes a loud bang. I can still hear pretty good for an old guy. Of course my wife will say my hearing is selective.

Please always, always wear ear and eye protection. Even .22. It's a much higher pitched sound than most center fire, but frequency has as much bearing as sound pressure.
Yeah that. People who say the effect is temporary are whistling past the graveyard. It's not much of a challenge to google up some actual facts on hearing loss and gunfire. Each round you shoot without protection permanently kills a tiny part of the cilia in your inner ear, and they do not grow back. Wear hearing protection or wear hearing aids (eventually). Your choice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My God man. You shot a G3C without hearing protection?????? You will be deaf within 24 hours. The zombie attack will be advanced 6 days ahead of schedule. Covid- 19 will skip to covid-24 . The moon will jump orbit and crash into Mars and then Jupiter. Earth will inter into a 1000 days of darkness.
In other words. Get a Life.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My God man. You shot a G3C without hearing protection?????? You will be deaf within 24 hours. The zombie attack will be advanced 6 days ahead of schedule. Covid- 19 will skip to covid-24 . The moon will jump orbit and crash into Mars and then Jupiter. Earth will inter into a 1000 days of darkness.
That seems a little harsh. lol

·
Registered
G3. Tracker .44.
36 Posts
Seems like you may be the one to get a life partner. Your track record on here continues to impress me.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I will sometimes use muffs when pistol shooting but otherwise use plugs just for the reason trucksandcoffee mentioned. I didnt like my cheek weld and muff seal fighting. btw, many years of shooting and my hearing is still fine, despite not using protection with power tools and mowers, something I now do.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
A few years ago, I forgot to put on my hearing protection before shooting my 1911. The concussion affected my ears immediately. I felt a pop in my ears and knew instantly that I was in trouble. I grabbed my ears but it was too late and my hearing would never be the same. Soon afterward I developed tinnitus and recently bought my first set of hearing aids. I’m an older guy and perhaps my hearing would have deteriorated naturally but, you can bet that my “ears“ are on before i step from my vehicle where shooting is taking place. I’m too little too late but, don’t you be!

·
Super Moderator
39,243 Posts
I will sometimes use muffs when pistol shooting but otherwise use plugs just for the reason trucksandcoffee mentioned. I didnt like my cheek weld and muff seal fighting. btw, many years of shooting and my hearing is still fine, despite not using protection with power tools and mowers, something I now do.
I've never used muffs for lawn mowing and done a lot of it in my time. Also seldom carried a pair when meeting jets on the gate approach, although I did when I was operating the jetbridge. If an agent was driving, I'd cover my ears with my hands. I have some degree of loss, really should get checked out by an Audiologist and perhaps get hearing assist.

Reactions: Jobarr and Biomass

·
Registered
37,336 Posts
32 years of Air Horns and Sirens has taken its toll on my hearing but I have always used ear protection when shooting.
Unfortunately the Fire Service didn't have ear protection (or lung protection) back in the good old days, now they do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts