Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*grin* Yeppers an odd question from me. Imagine that.

Gave myself a regular cut and looked like Friar Tuck so I just shaved it all off. I was using some disposables my wife picked up (cheapest where ever she got them) that were aimed at women but do a darn good job. I had an older Gillette Fusion with a almost dead blade and decided to throw it on my sons Fusion Power (the one with the battery that vibrates, not "sonic" as they claimed) and it was a surprise. Even with an old blade it worked so darn good.

BUT the dang refills are $20+ for 8!!!!! So anyone out ther shave their head with cheaper blades that can recommend something?

Or even a cheap place to pick up refills for the Fusion. A fast online search found some but they are a whopping $4 cheaper. Add in shipping and wait time and it's a wash.

Sarge

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Get whatever you feels best, and you'll be able to afford the initial cost if you will simply dry the blades after each use.

Cutting hair isn't what dulls the blades, but the rust from the water. Your blades will last a lot longer if you'll simply dry them well each time.

Don't skimp on blades. Our shiny heads deserve the best! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
When i shave my head i use, (1) blades from walgreens that fit the fusion, (2) a razor called head blade that will use the same blades, kinda like the weight of the fusion feels better in the hand than disposibles, also you can find head blade at walgreens

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
....simply dry the blades after each use.

Cutting hair isn't what dulls the blades, but the rust from the water. Your blades will last a lot longer if you'll simply dry them well each time.....
+1 - I dry mine off with the towel then hit it with the blow dryer to get the drops out from between the blades. They last a long time.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Don't know anything about blades. I've still got all my hair and have a full beard! My brother shaves his head and uses something that looks like a computer mouse.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I consider myself an expert as I've been shaving my head for 20+ years now.
The best shave I have found comes from these:
Schick® | The Complete Line of Xtreme3® Products

They function better than any refill or disposable I have ever come across.....the best part is the price.......Around $1 each in Sam's Club or $1.20 each in Walmart.
They come in 4 packs and 8 packs, and most of the time you'll see a bonus pack on the shelves.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Let me tell you Sarge -- the only time I ever shaved my head was for the Army, and it was not my choice! :D Best of luck with the razor though.......

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Got a full head of hair. I always wanted a shaved head. But my wife says she'll trade me in for a newer model if I go bald! Don't want to be traded!!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I don't shave mine all the way down to the skin, but I cut it real short with an electric clipper. I just put the 1/4" adapter on it, and just run it all over my head. You could also do it without an adapter and have a 'very nearly' shaved head. I use a hand mirror in conjunction with the bathroom mirror to clean up the back. I've been using the same $14 clipper set for well over twenty years, and it still works great. It's quick too - five minutes for a haircut is the norm.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been shaving my head for 4 years. Started with the Fusion but it was too expensive. Used the Headblade for about a year and a half and that was less expensive but if the blades get slightly dull you risk scalping yourself. For the last year and a half I've been using an electric (Panasonic wet/dry foil model) and love it. It's a bit of an upfront investment but pays for itself in the long run. It takes about a month for your scalp to adjust to the new shaver but it's every bit as close a shave as a blade once you get used to it. And I haven't had to call the paramedics to stop the bleeding since I switched..:D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I consider myself an expert as I've been shaving my head for 20+ years now.
The best shave I have found comes from these:
Schick® | The Complete Line of Xtreme3® Products

They function better than any refill or disposable I have ever come across.....the best part is the price.......Around $1 each in Sam's Club or $1.20 each in Walmart.
They come in 4 packs and 8 packs, and most of the time you'll see a bonus pack on the shelves.
I agree with NYPD.
I don't shave my head. But, I've also took place in several "product" testings. (I do Nielsen TV/Radio Ratings System fttt as well)

For me Gilette just doesn't do a good job. I tested for them for almost three months before the 5 blade "Fusion" hit the marketplace. It took me for times as long to shave with a Fusion as it did to shave with my Quatro. The Fusion also left me with a bad case of razor burn after every shave.

I do think Gilette may be fine for the "metro" sexual man & maybe fine if you have "fine" hair. But, it just doesn't work well for an old "grizzled" buzzard like myself. I've found that the Quatro & Edge "Tough Beard" is what works best for me.

-

·
21,932 Posts
I shave with the Schick Hydro with 5 blades. The refills are a bit pricey but they last longer.

Best razor I have ever used.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I use the HeadBlade shaving cream and their HeadLube aftershave moisturizing lotion - the shiny stuff. They also make some for those who prefer the dull, subdued look.

As far as the blade, I don't need training wheels! :D

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I shaved my head for 5 years straight, I have very thick hair and the headblades wore out quickly and gummed up quite badly.

I used gillette mach 3's. I tried fusion, but they gummed up bad too.

I like headblade shaving gels and aftershave!

I shaved every day or every other day, because my hair grows so fast. Gillette mach 3 for me.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
When I shaves my head, I used a Mach 3. But cost of them got so high. Now i do a no hairs buzz cut.

I read an article a long time ago that said keep your razor in a small container of vodka or similar alcohol tobprevent it from rusting. If any of you listen to Clark Howard, I have heard him say his recreation is 20 months on a single razor.

·
Administrator
39,479 Posts
I don't shave my head. I'm afraid, if I did, what I have left, might not grow back.

Reactions: rodfair
1 - 20 of 46 Posts