Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been discussed before. I am relatively new to the world of shotguns, and have never owned one. Hence my "noob" questions.

Which one is better for HD - The standard shoulder stock? Or the shoulder stock with a pistol grip? Any advantage of one over the other?

Also, we are still residing in the condo and am still debating 12 GA vs the 20 GA. Thoughts, please.

Walmart has the Stevens (Savege, made in China) and Maverick (Mossberg 500 clone with some parts made in Mexico) for $199. The Maverick is available in both 12 and 20. :) Thinking of getting one of the two. Any recommendations.

Let the gun p0rn begin.

Reactions: tazelmo

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
The standard shoulder stock is always better. Using a shotgun with a pistol grip can be interesting because you can't hold the shotgun up in front of your face to look at the front sight. You have to hold it down and a bit away from your face so that you don't get a mouth full of pistol grip. :D

There are situations where a pistol grip makes sense but I would rather use a shoulder stock.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Glad you asked that question...I'm in the same boat as you but leaning toward the 20 because of inexperience, age, recoil and Mas Ayoob's recommendation I saw on youtube.

Yeah, and what Texas just said.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Indoors the pistol grip is going to be easier to move around with because it's shorter. Outdoors the shoulder stock is better, IMHO. As far as gauge - my dad gave me a 20 gauge when I was 14. I loved it, but I always wished it was a 12. You'll get more pellets, and the recoil isn't that much more severe than a 20.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shotgun-atf.jpg

Just to be sure, am comparing pic #2 and #3 (from the top). It's not really a straight pistol grip like the Mossberg JIC.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
The wife and I have the Maverick model 88 in 12 gauge. It is a good useful gun for hunting and home defense. For the price you can`t beat it..

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's a matter of personal preference. Hold each one of them and see what you like better between the two. In a home defense situation, either of the guages will work. I happen to prefer the 20 guage. I also happen to like the pistol grip.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The OP mentioned The standard shoulder stock? Or the shoulder stock with a pistol grip? Of those two I would choose a shoulder stock with a pistol grip. You can get one with an adjustable stock similar to an AR15.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The OP mentioned The standard shoulder stock? Or the shoulder stock with a pistol grip? Of those two I would choose a shoulder stock with a pistol grip. You can get one with an adjustable stock similar to an AR15.
Or a folding stock - then you've got the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

See. Am a total n00b. :) It is the standard shoulder stock with a pistol grip. Stevens 320 is the model. Not sure how this compares to the Mossberg Maverick 88 quality wise. I am pretty impressed with my Mossberg 702 Plinkster.

The Maverick is sold with the standard shoulder stock, but seems like eBay has a good number of pistol grips and conversions available.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
See. Am a total n00b. :)
That reminded me of the old Beverly Hillbillies where Jethro was the double-naught spy. Double-naught nOOb? :D There's all kinds of grips and accessories for shotguns - particularly Mossbergs. Not sure if the same accessories fit the Mavericks, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Here's a website that has a bunch of different kinds - Combat Stocks

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I'd stay with a standard stock. If the shotgun is going to be used in a smaller apartment or by multiple people (you and your lady , older child.. Whatever the case) there are multi position stocks that look like a standard stock. I have noticed that after market pistol grip stocks (like found on a AR) tend to be more of a problem than a solution. Just my two cents.

As for 20 or 12 gauge? ... Go with either, standard loads aren't that much different as far as recoil goes. I have been knocked around by heavy 20 gauge before and not even noticed some rounds of 12 gauge. Its more to do with round than the gauge. Once again, just my opinion.

CreekFisher

Found a link to the stock I was referring to...Winchester Akita Adjustable Stock with Neoprene Adjustable Cheekrest - ATI | Gun Stocks | Forends | Rails | Advanced Technology International

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
go with mossberg 500 20 guage good gun. Only because lots of after market parts and it really is inexspensive to modify. Also ammo every where.Get regular stock and after market ak style adjustable stock with pistol gri[p are arround 50 to 60 if you want to make it look good or have shorter stock .l Do not get just pistol stock may fell better but takes lots of practice to use correctly for home defense i have seen the broken fingers trying to shoot one more than once. nothing beats good old shot gun have several 12 and 20 guages both mossberg and winchester

jhp

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
When I think about shotguns indoors, I think about going around right-hand corners. I'm right handed, so going around a left-hand corner isn't a problem even with a stock. But if you go around one to the right, with a stock you pretty much have to expose yourself to get the gun on target. With a pistol grip you can 'sneak' the rear of the shotgun around in front of you, and not have to expose so much going around to the right.

That being said, if someone's in your house, clearing it yourself isn't a good idea unless you're well trained - and even then it's not a great idea. Better to hunker down in a safe room and dial 911, and in that situation it doesn't really matter whether it's got a pistol grip or conventional stock. But in that situation it doesn't much matter if it's bolted to the floor if you're just sitting there waiting for a door to open.

·
Registered
135 Posts
for home defence i have H&R pardner pump protector (870 clone) 200bucks and decent firearm, i might just get the iac hawk 981r as well (also a clone) the are cheap and remington 870 parts are interchangeable if it breaks and the 870 is the most common shotgun around. pistol grips are for show and cant aim correct without hurting your self. shoulder stock w/ pistol grip would be better. i just put a magpul stoch on mine and love it.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I'd suggest trying the feel of both. Similar looking guns will surprise you in the different way they feel in hand. Both guns are good for home defense, and either gauge would be fine, but the 20 would be gentler on the wife. I use a Rem 870 in 12 gauge only because that model wasn't available in 20.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Not everyone is a Hickock45! Some of us are just mere mortals.....
Everybody's a mere mortal - Hickok included. The fact of the matter is they just don't recoil that awful hard, but you do have to hold them properly. Like any other firearm, you have to practice to get good. Hickok's just had LOTs of practice. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts