Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Winchester PDX1. Its a one ounce slug with three brass buckshot. Recoil is not that bad either.

·
Administrator
35,123 Posts
Federal makes a LEO load that is 00 buck, in a shot cup. It's pretty devastating, the buckshot stays together very tight for a pretty good distance.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Even #8 bird shot can be pretty devastating at close range. That's what i normally have loaded in mine just in case someone other than myself needs to use it. But i do have some 00 buck sitting in the cabinet just in case i need it.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I just buy the standard Winchester 2 3/4" 00 with 9 pellets. I do have some reduced recoil 8 pellet loads also in Remington. I used to always buy Remington buckshot but have found the buffering material leaks pretty bad. Maybe they have improved more recently. I have a lot of 00 in three inch shells I bought before I realized the added recoil works against you for multiple shots and would not get into those until I had to. I also keep about a 1:8 ratio of rifled slugs although I don't mix them in the magazines. My 5 round magazine would be loaded with slugs in case I needed heavy penetration, but all the 10 round mags will have 00

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Now this is just my opinion, but I prefer to keep both #4 and #6 loads in my shotguns. I figure in low lighting, moving around a room .. close will have to be good enough. Besides lots of noise, smoke and BB's falling all over the place goes a long way.

·
Administrator
35,123 Posts
I just buy the standard Winchester 2 3/4" 00 with 9 pellets. I do have some reduced recoil 8 pellet loads also in Remington. I used to always buy Remington buckshot but have found the buffering material leaks pretty bad. Maybe they have improved more recently. I have a lot of 00 in three inch shells I bought before I realized the added recoil works against you for multiple shots and would not get into those until I had to. I also keep about a 1:8 ratio of rifled slugs although I don't mix them in the magazines. My 5 round magazine would be loaded with slugs in case I needed heavy penetration, but all the 10 round mags will have 00
I have 400 rounds of the Winchester 00 buck and 100 rounds of the Winchester slugs in my bedroom closet.....whoever breaks in to my house is in for a very nasty surprise. :devil:

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I have 400 rounds of the Winchester 00 buck and 100 rounds of the Winchester slugs in my bedroom closet.....whoever breaks in to my house is in for a very nasty surprise. :devil:
Sounds like you are ready for the mass Zombie invasion. I have a Saiga 12 just for that occasion.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Sounds like you are ready for the mass Zombie invasion. I have a Saiga 12 just for that occasion.
I've been looking at those Saiga's pretty hard lately. I just might have to add one to the arsenal.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Nice build job and I notice you have the 10 round drum so you don't have to use that long 12 round mag all the time. I got mine about 4 years ago, had a little fun to make sure it works and then put it away for the Zombie invasion. I do want the poly choke in case I ever take it coyote hunting with # 4 buck and three inch shells.

#4 buck is an excellent home defense round when you have a concern about over penetration and gives a pretty full pattern with 27 pellets that are .24" diameter

I have some # 2 magnum, BB and BBB rounds although I think the BBB (.018 inch diameter) are steel.

T shot, (.020" diameter) are loaded commercially only as steel except for the Hevishot "Dead Coyote" which is probably Bismuth.

Steel T-Shot is an excellent close range load. I don't know if you would get deep enough penetration over 10 yards to reach the heart, but it would still ruin someones day.

I want a shotgun with a poly choke so I can tighten down the choke and ruin someones day at 60 yards. The Hevi Shot Dead Coyote shot has enough wight to do that, and those 54 pellets can achieve a pretty full 3' diameter pattern with a tight enough choke at 60 yards. I think the extra distance you can get from an otherwise 18.5" improved cylinder makes a shotgun a lot more versatile on distance, use and loads. I've never bought the "Dead Coyote" loads. They aren't cheap, like $35 for 10 rounds. I opt for the 3" #4 buckshot which has 32-34 pellets. I like the #4 buck load for close in defense. I also like it with an improved choke for street sweeping where you want a lot of pellets down range and are not necessarily wanting to kill a group of folks, but trying to dissuade a group of folks to go the other way with a few of them wounded to occupy their time. (I learned that in SHTF 101).

#4 buck in 3" with a tight choke is probably going to have a good enough pattern at 60 yards to bring down a coyote, or a big American cat, but does not have enough pattern concentration to break legs like the Dead Coyote loads at up to 70 or so yards.

Turkey Loads which are mostly #5 shot are a pretty good less than lethal at distance home defense load, but they do kick as the loads are 1 1/2 ounces minimum loads, and in 3" you can get up to 2 ounces of shot and they are hot loads for that weight of shot.

One of the worst wounds in a SHTF situation would be one inch penetration (say at 30 yards) with 7 1/2 shot. 100 or so pellets to dig out, that many channels for infection to start working in and antibiotics maybe limited. It would be a slow killer and an agonizing way to die.

For short range and ending the threat quickly, there is simply no better, effective round than 00 or 000 buckshot, nice heavy penetrating shot creating good deep multiple wound channels.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I still feel like even trap loads at bedroom door to front door distance will make a BG have an unhappy ending.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Yeah, i feel the same way. Don't think any BG would be happy with 450+ pellets of hot lead flying in their general direction.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I keep thinking of trying one of Lee's buck shot molds. You cast three 00 buck balls that are still together when you load them. So you have three of three for a regular nine ball load. Do they come apart under recoil? Do they hold together? I'm getting too curious.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Remington Home Defense. I bought the ones that contain both #2 and#4 shot. Starting to think I may be able to get the same performance for less $ with certain turkey loads.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I use sellor & beloit ammo in the #1buck. At 7yrds it will spread a little over 1 1/2" in a 18 1/2" barrel. I also use the same brand with #4 buck my A5 with a 19" barrel. The
spread is a little over 1 3/4". It's going to leave a mark..:)

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
I have a feeling that if anyone breaks into any of our houses they will not have a enjoyable time. !!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts