Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two days, 1/12 and 1/13/2018, I have been getting Trojan Horse warnings from my Microsoft Edge browser when I am logged into the forum. I immediately hit the power button to the laptop and shut it down, like I always do when I get such messages; because if the warning is left on the screen for more than a few seconds I fear that it will turn into "ransomware" and capture my screen, mouse, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this on the dates I mentioned above?

·
21,931 Posts
I got one today too. Those are really getting tiresome. I don't see how the programmers can't fix this.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I've also seen some recently. I'm running the Norton Security Suite and it blocks the new tab as well as providing a notification that it blocked the threat of "Fake Tech-Support". And, I'm using Google Chrome as a browser. I would not worry about shutting your computer down. Even if you could shoot as fast as Ed McGivern you would be too slow to prevent an infestation.

My experience with this type of threat at our forum is that it spawns a new browser tab for the "threat". You should be able to click the "X" on the right side of the tab and it will close. For me, so far it's just been disconcerting but not harmful.

·
Super Moderator
40,391 Posts
It is my belief that these are coming from Google ads. Close the window without clicking any where else on it. Or use task manager and end task on the browser. Turning off the computer can do mores harm in some cases.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Just a week ago, I had to ask the administrator to send me a new password, then change it from there. This is the second time this has happened to me on this forum. The last time was about a year and a half ago.

I changed e-mail this time as well. I don't know how my password and stuff is getting messed up.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I'm not familiar with Microsoft Edge ... but my question is why use it? There are several superior browsers available.

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts
Wow.....

-

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
In Windows 10, the newest version of Microsoft Edge uses the open source Chromium engine that is the basis of Chrome. I think you have to still opt in to download it, but will probably automatically do it at some point. You can tell by little changes of the User Interface and the settings menu and going to the about menu. The icon is also different.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
For the past two days, 1/12 and 1/13/2018, I have been getting Trojan Horse warnings from my Microsoft Edge browser when I am logged into the forum. I immediately hit the power button to the laptop and shut it down, like I always do when I get such messages; because if the warning is left on the screen for more than a few seconds I fear that it will turn into "ransomware" and capture my screen, mouse, etc.

MS is no longer supporting Internet Explorer. What browser are you using?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts

Sorry. I see now you use Edge.

·
Administrator
39,366 Posts
The OP of this thread passed away about two years ago. A spammer posted in it today, which reopened it. He has since been banned and removed, so no further discussion is necessary. I’m closing it down.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.