Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32,014 Posts
Don't pull it if you aren't gonna use it, and maintain a distance with the bad guy! About ten yards would have been as close as I would have been confronting the bad guy.

He would not have been able to shoot me with my own gun as it would have been empty by the time he got to me, if he got to me!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Bad idea, unless you're trained on how to detain someone at gun point. He obviously got too close to the perp. Either shoot him or wait on the cops. I don't know about the legality of that in Alabama, but in Texas you can use deadly force at night time to protect property. Personally, I'd just wait on the cops. If you shot him you'd likely put a hole in your own truck, which will cost you more than what he's stealing out of it.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I wasn’t there, it didn’t happen to me but I’m pretty sure I would have handled differently. Someone breaking into my house is one thing but breaking into my vehicle is another. Turn on all the outside lights, wait for the cops and keep a safe distance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Call the police! Allow the robber to take what he wants and let the police deal with it if you arent capable. Nothing wrong with that. If you are in danger or your family is in danger pull the firearm and unload. anything short of that, you'd better let the police take care of it. If he would have shot the guy originally, he would be going to prison, in this case he went to the hospital. Neither of those outcomes are very good.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Call the police! Allow the robber to take what he wants and let the police deal with it if you arent capable. Nothing wrong with that. If you are in danger or your family is in danger pull the firearm and unload. anything short of that, you'd better let the police take care of it. If he would have shot the guy originally, he would be going to prison, in this case he went to the hospital. Neither of those outcomes are very good.
Actually here in Ohio if this happened and he shot the man right off the bat he'd be alright. Our castle law includes your property and specifically your vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Actually here in Ohio if this happened and he shot the man right off the bat he'd be alright. Our castle law includes your property and specifically your vehicle.
Im in Ohio too, Castle law only covers you if you are in the car. You can defend your home and a vehicle that you already occupy. Cant shoot somebody because you walk into the garage and find him sitting in your car taking your stuff.

Sec 2925.05 (B)(1) Subject to division (B)(2) of this section, a person is presumed to have acted in self defense or defense of another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if the person against whom the defensive force is used is in the process of unlawfully and without privilege to do so entering, or has unlawfully and without privilege to do so entered, the residence or vehicle occupied by the person using the defensive force

Reactions: A-TEAM 513

·
Registered
977 Posts
ahh yes, your right about that. All the same I wouldve confronted from a safe distance and if he tried to approach blown his worthless degenerate head off.

Reactions: Harrychl

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If you cannot pull that trigger, do not pull that weapon, better yet just leave the damn gun at home.

You cannot expect the bad guy to drop to the ground trembling in fear at the sight of you with your gun. Bad guys do not want to go to jail, they want to do their crimes and get away with them. If you confront a bad guy, do not be surprised if rather than go to jail they will kill you, adrenaline makes a dangerous foe and career criminals may now a lot more than you.

7 yards, anytime an attacker/perp gets within the 7 yard zone, your chances of being gravely injured increase rapidly.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
He attempted to use that handgun to detain the suspect until police arrived. A struggled ensued between the suspect and the homeowner. The suspect was able to gain control of the handgun and fired several shots striking the homeowner in the wrist, leg and abdomen.

Assuming the press account is accurate the mistakes made are clear to see.

The first is that property theft does not equal a threat to your life.Seeing a scumbag break into your vehicle is undoubtedly disturbing,but one will not die from a felon stealing his insured automobile.Recording the description of the felon would be a wiser use of time then grabbing a weapon to prevent the theft.The only circumstance where it may be appropriate to confront a felon stealing property is if the stolen goods are firearms.Otherwise the weapon should be stowed unless the bad guy tries to attack the owner.

The second mistake was closing in to the degree that a gun grab was sucessfully accomplished.One reason law enforcement firearms have magazine disconnects is because law enforcement must in the course of their duties interact at conversation distances with suspects and witnesses,any of whom could relieve the officer of his sidearm before he could even conciously prevent it.Inside of 3 feet all a target must do to avoid being shot is step inside and seize control of the wrists,at which point you WILL drop the piece.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Yup, never pull your ccw unless you intend to shoot the BG with it. You are not in imminent danger if your are just trying to keep the BG at the scene until the police arrive. I agree with those above, call the police and let them sort it out, and never allow the BG to get close enough to you to do you harm. If he heads your way, then draw and fire and keep shooting until the BG is no longer an imminent threat to you. Otherwise stay out of the way, be observant, and let the police and your insurance company sort it out.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I wasn’t there, it didn’t happen to me but I’m pretty sure I would have handled differently. Someone breaking into my house is one thing but breaking into my vehicle is another. Turn on all the outside lights, wait for the cops and keep a safe distance.
I agree with your assessment. This way you can guarantee that you'll live to see another day.

Home defense / self defense is one thing, defense of property (such as a car) is quite another thing.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Well said BigSkiff, generally most of us do not have anything in our vehicles worth giving or taking a life for. His best option may have been to video tape the theft to give to police ad evidence or a means to catch the perp. He is lucky that he was able to go to the hospital instead of the morgue.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Don't pull it if you aren't gonna use it, and maintain a distance with the bad guy! About ten yards would have been as close as I would have been confronting the bad guy.

He would not have been able to shoot me with my own gun as it would have been empty by the time he got to me, if he got to me!
It always irks me when TV cops get too close, especially when the perp still has weapon close or in hand. Bad example.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
"The owner called police, then WALKED FROM HIS RESIDENCE TO CONFRONT THE SUSPECT in his front yard."

That action right there would land you in a heap of trouble in my neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
If he is near a vehicle in my driveway, he has committed to a real problem. almost 100 yds from entrance, and a dirt bank behind him as a back stop.

But, KY does not like you shooting a thief, but if he comes toward me, or even breaks a window on the house, he is fair game.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have always believed in what a county deputy said. Because you know there is a gun in your car that is loaded it is self defence. Just show me the gun that was in there and there will be no other questions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"The owner called police, then WALKED FROM HIS RESIDENCE TO CONFRONT THE SUSPECT in his front yard."

That action right there would land you in a heap of trouble in my neck of the woods.
He would have a hard time with that in NC as well, unless there was a gun in the car. In his situation, or what I can make of it from the article, I would have called the cops and maybe put him on youtube while I waited. I don't provide much for my family if I'm in jail or the hospital or the morgue. As for what I believe is Right and Just in that situation. If he was on my property, and I reasonably believed that he was stealing from me, I should be able to scope him with my .30-06 from my porch and not catch any grief over it.

·
Registered
32,014 Posts
Bad idea, unless you're trained on how to detain someone at gun point. He obviously got too close to the perp. Either shoot him or wait on the cops. I don't know about the legality of that in Alabama, but in Texas you can use deadly force at night time to protect property. Personally, I'd just wait on the cops. If you shot him you'd likely put a hole in your own truck, which will cost you more than what he's stealing out of it.
I don't think time of day has anything to do with it! Daytime makes it easier to shoot the target though!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts