Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the Thunderbolt in the .45 Long Colt, and the gun in the .357 sounds very interesting for a brush gun during dear season. I've not shot many pump actions, but borrowed a .270 Remington years ago and took a very nice buck with it. Sure seemed to make it easy to get back on target. I'd be interested in your opinions if you have one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been waitin on someone to post on this too. From what I've read on sass.net ,many people have had their share of problems in the first run rifles.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
Ah, I don't know, I use my .308 M7 Remington for about anything and everything big game/deer anymore. No spots left in my rifle collection. Considered a .45-70, but I'd never use the thing. I'm sorta into the little M7 and .308 is a good hunting caliber.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I was (and am) interested in a .357 pump and noticed the ones on the Taurus website had unfortunately been discontinued. The blued Colt 45s are available though but really would rather have one in .357 Magnum. Hopefully they'll re-release the .357s at some future point. Models in .44 Magnum, .460 S&W Magnum & .500 S&W Magnum would be appreciated too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
+1 to the 357 t-bolt would make great companion to my pair of Gauchos

·
Registered
96 Posts
i saw one displayed in the local gunshop and under it was a target with an orange dot . three shots fired dead center in the target cloverleafed .
the target was shot at 50 yards.when i inquired about the rifle i was told it was the owners and not for sale.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have run across 2 of them recently. ! at a local gun show and 1 at the local shop. Both were 45's and I was holding out for a 357 to match my gaucho. I checked the taurus's web site and it said discontinued :mad: . I guess I will wait or settle for the 45.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been looking hard at the 45 Colt Thunderbolt. The 45 LC can be easily loaded to 44 Mag levels and beyond especially with slower burning rifle powders with no ill effects. It should make a great accurate rifle if its dependable and doesn't jam.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shot a friends new 357 Thunderbolt a couple days ago. We fired about 125 rounds with no malfunctions. Gun was stainless long barrel and stiff to function.
35 yard groups were 1 1/2 inch
They take some getting used to, hard to load and the short pump action has a learning curve.
Wood was plain and wood to metal fit was ok, but not great.
Shoot straight and often
Hillbilly Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got a 45 LC Thunderbolt in Stainless a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the range for about 25 rounds. Shot the first 10 from a rest at about 50 yards - max cowboy shooting distance. Nice tight group of about 2 inches just to the left of POA. Used it at a SASS match this past weekend. 70 rounds through it with no problems at all (and no misses). Several of the pards thought it was a good lookin' gun and were mildly impressed with its performance. You do have to be forceful with the pump action, a wimpy pump can cause a FTE. Overall, I liked it and think I'll keep her.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Went to my monthly cowboy shoot this AM. My friend was there with his 357 Taurus pump. Shoot the six stage match with no foulups on the part of the gun. Good looking and style points.
Hillbilly Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've shot two matches with it now and haven't had a bit of problems with it. The 45 Colt stainless Thunderbolt goes really well with my stainless Gaucho's.

Initially it was difficult to load, but it is a lot easier now. There is a lot of room in the loading gate, so you have to get it right. It is also getting a bit "looser" as I use it - pumps a lot easier now that she's had a couple hundred rounds through her.

I also tried some slam firing on a double tap stage. The slam firing works great and has the potential to save some time -- once I practice it more and get a bit more coordinated :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm going to get a Thunderbolt in 45 Colt so I looked on the Taurus website for specs and found that they have the 38/357 back in the lineup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I made the mistake of shooting my brand new out of the box .45 Thunderbolt at an Ocoee Rangers SASS match. It either jammed or threw out live rounds the whole day. Then I sat in from of the tv and ran snap caps thru it about 1000 times. It took several weeks but after that I hardly ever have a jam. I really like the pump action and would use it for up to deer size animals with the proper loads. As is, I shoot the same loads in the rifle as in my Vaqueros for SASS matches.
Cherokee Slim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took my brand new stainless .357/.38 to the field a few weeks ago. Right out of the box it was dead on shooting oranges & grapefruit at 50 - 75 yds. Used both .357 and .38. The .357's cycled good but the .38's are gonna take some getting used to. Should get easier as it gets broken in. I love it and it's a beauty. It likes the Hornady LeverEvolution better than anything else I tried

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
The Thunderbolts would have been real handy at Custer's last stand, but the Indians had enough advantage without them anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow I joined up here to learn about he Taurus pump in 357 and you guys have coninced me its the 357 rifle I need!

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Much quicker action than a lever

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have two questions..
What is the maximum cartridge length that will feed thru the .357 T'bolt?
Will the .45 Colt T'bolt handle "Ruger only" loads?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts