Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I check out the local shooters board where a lot of guns are sold face to face in state. On most days, I could choose from half a dozen Glocks, a couple of Springfield 1911 editions... a Kimber or two, a Kahr and some Smith & Wessons. A Taurus used weapon doesn't come up for sale but on rare occassions.

Now you are left with a couple of reasons. Now, first, the Glocker's will say, is that Glocks are just so much more plentiful and of course there just aren't many Taurus owners and shooters.

Or... there are a representative number of Taurus owners, but we know when we've made a good investment and we're not interested in swapping them around like the Glock of the week group.

Now it may seem I'm prejudicial... I'm not. Glocks are fine guns, I guess. I've never shoot one... and I've got some hammers that are more attractive. I really hope that they are as enormously reliable as some claim them to be... anything that ugly should have at least one redeeming quality.

My ultimate point, if Taurus owners were as disappointed as some think we should be, I'd expect that we'd be trying to get our money back on as many as possible. Well I gotta' go and check the classifieds on my local board... a Taurus Millennium came up for sale three months as and was gone in 15 minutes... so I gotta' check and see if anyone is unloading their POC today.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Taurus pistols are like the slutty girl everyone knew back in school. Everyone wanted her, some had her, but few would own up to it for fear of their friends picking on them (even though it was the best they ever had... ;)

I rarely ever see a used Taurus for sale anywhere, accept the regional gunshows ever year. And even then most Taurus pistols are new ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own two Taurus' and have owned and sold a few more. They were all nice guns, but I would trade my MilPro for a G19 straight up anyday if they were in similar condition.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The gun shop down the road had 2 used Tauruses for sale last month. I haven't been in since.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
beachbreak said:
I own two Taurus' and have owned and sold a few more. They were all nice guns, but I would trade my MilPro for a G19 straight up anyday if they were in similar condition.
Well, given the difference in the asking price between the two, I'd probably join you.

PS... I didn't really mean to "pick on" Glocks... it's just that they tend to be proud of them in the store, I see more Glocks for sale than any other brand... and they are so... well I'm sorry, I pledge not to call them ugly again!

·
Registered
173 Posts
The only Taurus I ever sold back was a second generation PT111SS. I used the balance in order to purchase a second generation PT145. Within a week I was missing the PT111. About a year later I was able to buy a 3rd generation PT111 blued. I'm happy once again ;D .

The shops I frequent rarely have used Taurus for sale. Except for the M94 I bought last month and a Rossi that still sits in the case. I do see Walthers, Springfield XD, S&W, Rugers, CZs most of the time (the CZ's sell fast though).

·
Registered
174 Posts
i think glocks in particular are lossing ground to the rest of the market. taurus and others are really targeting the new market of ccw better, and offering better safety features. many uneducated people still think guns just go off accidentally, but w/ trigger safeties, palm safeties, slide locks, and overall reliability these new generation of pistols are getting noticed. in regards to my taurus's i would sell my 24/7 for $359, but not for $358, as that's what a new one is in the gun counter, i'd just go get another one. when i bought my pt140, i called the store to see if they had one, and i went and got it, i did not even entertain other guns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think some of this just has to do with "name familiarity" than anything else. I am guessing a fair number of used firearms you see in shops were purchased new by:

(1) Shooters who just have to own the latest firearm that Leatham/Koenig/Jarrett/etc. are shooting ... which is, of course, infinitely better than what they were shooting last month. So last month's "has been" goes in for trade.

(2) People who rarely shoot, if ever, but they saw this really cool Glock/Sig/H&K/etc. in a Bruce Willis movie or Keiffer Sutherland uses it on "24" or something. Awhile after the purchase, the "need" to have it goes away.

OK, I fully admit I am over-generalizing. But we can probably agree that Taurus doesn't usually register with the two groups listed above. Most folks who buy Taurus want a dependable, shootable firearm at a reasonable price. And since that need doesn't change over time, the firearms don't go on the block in large volumes.

And, no, I am not suggesting that the other firearm manufacturers don't make good products. Given the fight we are all in against those who hate ALL guns, I think that bashing any manufacturer who is on our side of the fence is highly counter-productive.

dogfood

·
Registered
10 Posts
I for one think the Glock is overrated...Yes, they can bury a Glock in the sand for 1, 2 and 3 years and it still fires but lets be realistic...Most of use clean and oil our guns after firing them, so abuse for the enviroment in no in the picture here...I know 2 friends that purchased Glocks (mod. 22 and mod. 23) in the last month...both would trade them in a heartbeat...now they don't like the grip feel or the hair triggers...As someone once said, only 3 legged people should own Glocks, because you are most likely to shoot off one of your legs if you own one...Both of these guys that bought these used Glocks now realize that they could have purchased a new Taurus 24/7 for the same money...For proof that Glocks are an accident waiting to happen...Google...Glock+Accidents...Look at the number of search hits on that subject.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hollywod has really glamourized the Glock, and you pay more for one because of that. I don't own one, although many shooters I know have them, and I have shot them on occasion. I just don't see where they are any better than a Taurus ( I own three) or Kel-Tec (of which I have two). They are just more expensive. That's why I drive Fords instead of Cadillacs. They get the job done just as well, at less cost. I can't see where it costs more to make a Glock than say a Taurus Millenium Pro. But the Taurus is $350 and the Glock close to $500. If a deal came around on a Glock I wouldn't be opposed to buying one, but I won't give up a Taurus to get one. Nothing against Glock, but I did outshoot G19 with a 9mm Jennings that I paid $80 for. Go Figure.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
To many people buy whatever is trendy, I guess they like being one of the "sheep" (no Montana jokes please). I've been handling firearms for the better part of 40 years, owned or shoot nearly everything made. Taurus is as good or better then any other firearms made today.

Out of people I see at the local gun range and among a few of my friends that shoot, I am the only one that shoots Taurus. I get the turned up snob-ish looks from some at the range. Mostly those people that own over priced Kimbers, Glocks and XD's, even one guy that owns a Charles Daly 1911. Funny part is most of those people always want to shoot my Taurus pistols (just to compare...) LOL!

I can buy 2 or 3 really nice Taurus pistols and ammo for the price of Kimber, that makes me happy. If you own a 24/7 pro you can also brag that it holds the world record (2005) as the fastest handgun, steel on steel target contest it shot 2 rds each at four steel plates in under 2 seconds, which beats every other firearm made today for speed ;)

Taurus 24/7 "Survival Tools"
http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-247tv.cfm

·
Registered
29 Posts
One reason you see so many Glocks on the used market is because they are the most deployed gun by Law Enforcement Agencies all over the world. Glock has a trade in program and the used guns are reconditioned and sold to distributors for resale.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yeah, I have a couple of buddies that are sheriff deputies and they get some kind of super special pricing from Glock for buying new or trading in. One guy just received his new model Glock 21 (slimmer model) for something like $425.00 shipped(he said). I think street price is something around $600.00 if you can find it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Yes, LE get better pricing from Glock and a few other manufacturers. But as far as their retail prices, they have to pay for that advertising somehow...

My local gun shop has had the same used blued 4" M65 for $390 since first stopped in several months back. I'm thinking that its over-priced and haven't even taken it out of the case to look at it. Maybe once I get the plastic paid down after my AR I'll take a gander at it.

Beyond that, no I don't see many used Tauri around here.

Steelheart

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting. I'm not really brand loyal to anything. I love my Taurus guns, a Ti 357 Tracker, Model 94 22 LR (I think), and my new CIA 357. I've always had Pt-92 or 99 around. I had like 5 of them so far. Everyone has been a fine shooter and my brother still has my first one that I got in the Mid 90s' that didn't have the decocker set up. Damn, that thing has digested at least 20k from both of us and I got it used too!
That said, I'll never get rid of my S&W 686plus, Ruger cannons or any of the few Glocks I have too. What I like about the Glocks are reliability, availability of factory and after market parts, ease of changing what ever set up you got from adding night sites youself, swapping .40 cal. barrels with 357 Sig barrels, and the mags are cheap and reliable. Now this is based on my experience, not necessarily an opinion. Sure, I like my Glocks, but I've also got a XD45 ACP that I like better tway than my Glocks for that Cailber. I guess I seem to like what works best for me in whatever caliber rather than sticking with one brand. I do really want to get a OSS 24/7 cuz the safety and trigger set up look really good!, and the fact that I like 5" barrels on my handguns. Now I just can't decide what caliber to get it in?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not brand loyal either. I have had all sorts of guns from many companies. Taurus guns have always been 100% mechanically perfect for me. I think they are the buy of the decade. That said, I hate these Heine sights and kept my word when I just purchased a new gun that I would not buy another Taurus with these sights. I bought a Sringfield 1911 instead of the PT1911.
I think it's a combination why you don't see many Tauri in the used sections. 1) There don't seem to be as many our there compared to other brands AND 2) they are great guns for the money and not worth selling to fund another gun.
I did just sell my PT92 to a good friend of mine who wanted to get into shooting more. I sold it for a couple reasons...never did like the size of the grip, it's a 9mm and I am trying to consolidate to 2 main calibers (40 and 45), and my friend is a great guy who WANTS to shoot and support our rights!
Now, I really wish the 24/7 had normal 3 dot sights so I could buy the .40. Oh well. May have to buy a CZ instead.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
03Shadowbob... have you looked at the Wilson sights in the smithing section... $40 may be the answer you're looking for!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah, I have read all about them and for some that is the answer, however for me when I buy a gun I buy the whole package. I don't like buying guns and then have to spend money to get them the way I want them or need them to be. There are just too many other options out there and as I said before, I am not brand loyal. I love Taurus guns, always have. I just won't buy another one with the Heine sights. I think they have really hurt their sales by putting heines on so many of their guns. Granted there may be a few that like them but there are many many more that don't (at least from what I have read online) and those that don't seem to tell everyone that may be looking at a Taurus to look at other options.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope they will look at their customer feedback... you're right about wanting options. I know if you ordered Heinie sights it would set you back significantly... but lots of folks would have liked to have had them as "options" rather than standard... but guess that's what happens when company wants to make a "great value" standard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.