Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice shot gun. You should buy it now.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Super Moderator
35,435 Posts
I checked out a semi auto, Rem 11-87 knock off, at Walmart when they first started handling 'em. The $240 price tag caught my eye. I'd been thinkin' about a 20 gauge semi auto for dove hunting. I put it off and now have a CZ Redhead Delux my wife got me last Christmas. :D I love my wife. :D That shotgun is just what I'd dreamed of for doves, perfect fit, quick to point, single trigger than doesn't beat up my middle finger after 5 boxes of ammo in 3 days like my old SxS Spartan does. I thought the Hatfield pointed nicely, but this CZ is so perfect, it's as if it'd been fitted just for me.

So, I'm not really interested in that Hatfield. I did research it via google after I got home that day. I'd never HEARD of Hatfield, part of the reason I didn't buy the thing. Turns out to be a pretty decent gun, Turkish made, which even my CZ is a Huglu, actually. The Turks make a decent quality shotgun on the average and the Huglus are REALLY good. SO, if I thought I still needed a semi auto, I'd buy it. My only concern would be parts when it got older, but heck, I'm 65 years old. Just how much longer would I actually use the danged thing? :rofl: I have a Winchester 1400 semi auto 12 gauge that I bought about 1988. The cocking handle broke on it. Parts are a bear for those as they're out of production, but apparently that's a high demand part because Numrich Arms had a batch special made of 'em and I got the cocking handle from them. :D I even got a left handed safety for it from them.

I have slowed WAY don't on duck hunting. I have a circulation problem in my lower legs and wading through marsh mud ain't as fun as it used to be. So I really have little desire to replace my old Winchester with that Hatfield, beside, The Winchester is a good gun, proven. Hard to fight off the urge, though, with a bargain like that. :rofl:

All that said, if I wanted a cheap pump shotgun, I'd get a Mossberg Maverick. I own 2 Mossberg pumps now, an old camo 500 that was my go to duck gun for the marsh for since about 92, and a 535 I got for $170 at a pawn shop a while back. I just couldn't leave that pawn shop without it, and it's a really good shooter, too. You might think about looking around for used American made pumps. It's not that I'm all "buy American" or anything, just that I KNOW parts will be around for a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 till the cows come home. :rofl: One part that could get the gun going again might be the difference in a wall hanger or a good bird gun. With the Mossies or Remmies, parts WILL be there. With a Turkish built Hatfield....mmmm....maybe....maybe not.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Academy had the Mossberg Maverick 88 18.5 bbl last week for $179 + change. This week its back to $199.+ change. Assembled at least in the USA. I have one its a decent little shotgun

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Mossberg 590A1 and an old Winchester 1200 riot gun..... I just want someone to buy this and review it!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found it somewhere else for $119 on a cyber Monday sale!

·
23,071 Posts
It must be nice! It has a black metal finish!

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I got my Mossberg Maverick 88 at a Dick's Sporting Goods in Dallas for $149 on a sale. Pretty good price for a zombie gun.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I thought and thought about buying a relatively unknown defensive pump but like Native Texan I decided on a major brand shotgun. The only advantage I could see to the unknown gun was price. Everything else were disadvantages. The biggest being lack of accessories and potentially spare parts. I bought a Maverick 88 for about $200 out the door on sale. I know as long as guns are available to the public I'll be able to get parts and accessories for this gun. I got a PSA email showing the 18.5" Maverick with a top folding stock for $199.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts