Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do so may people hate Taurus hand guns? I visit other forums and I see quite a bit of post from people that hate Taurus. I love mine , did I just get a good one that performs flawlessly? I don't know, but I love the gun

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess many people still think that Taurus makes cheap knock-offs. Had one friend of mine cringe when I told him I bought a 24/7...then I told him it was the handgun of the year 2005. Changed his mind.

·
32,658 Posts
Then there are the trolls and bashers. These individuals are never happy.Never probably will be. Their soul reason for existing seems to be to spread pain,misery, and depression in their wake where ever they go. Miserable people like making others like themselves and then there are those who are just plain evil. I think our first poster hit the nail on the head for as to why most degrade and dump on Taurus. These same type of people will do this to any other firearm they no nothing about nor care to find out about. If the gun isn't high priced then it can't be any good in the beholder's eyes. This would be the gun snob, though there are other factors to this. Can't say that I didn't get on the snob wagon myself a time or two. High Point firearms, P63, and P64 pistols were on my " what, are you crazy" list if someone owned one a few years back. Things change and it was time to see the light and get educated by the persons who had such guns. Actual testing and reports also changed my mind about a few makes and models I used to hold in contempt. Everybody " just knew" that these were bad guns. Conventional Wisdom is not always wise. So it was time to change the mind based on fact.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Yeah, and the brand snobs just kill me, usually Smith and Wesson sobs. Well, they've had their share of problems over the years, too, and, frankly, they ain't the guns they used to be, though they are still high quality. But, Taurus has improved and improved since the 70s and few seem to acknowledge that. I remember reading in a gun mag that Smith's quality control had deteriorated miserably an Taurus was then the quality revolver to compare to. This was mid 80s. Well, I don't know, had a friend with a 686 from that era that's fantastic. But, Taurus is fantastic, too. And, the newer ones seem better than ever.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I owned one years ago and can't even recall what it was. It was 9mm and it was crap. I own 2 currently. A pt145 and a model 85 ultra-lite and they perform flawlessly. I had a 617 until I sold it to fund the PT145 and missed haveing a wheel gun so I got the 85. I would recomend a Taurus to anyone. I'm hopeing a PT1911 is in my near future.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I'm constantly amazed by the bashing. :( Taurus™ guns aren't cheap; they are inexpensive. There is a huge difference. I bought my first Taurus™ gun in 1994 (Mdl 85CH); & also work part time in a gun shop (since 1998). It is extremely rare that one is ever returned to the factory for warranty repair. S&W®, Colt®, & Ruger® are another matter; they are being sent back all the time. :eek: At one time S&W® made quality guns. I have a Mdl 37 Airweight® & a 686 that are superb firearms (made in the early 80's). The present crop of Smith revolvers however are crap IMHO. :( I'm 'old school' and have continued to be since I became an LEO in 1994. While assigned to patrol I used a 4" barrel Taurus™ 669CP since 1996 & it's just as accurate & tight as the day I bought it. In 2003 my wife bought me a Taurus™ Mdl 617SS 2¼" barrel for my bithday. After I started working plain clothes it became my duty gun. The younger guys used to give me a ration of crap about shooting a wheelgun. They don't any more after they see how well I can shoot monthy qualifications with my Taurus™ guns! ;D (The word is out: "Don't bet you can out shoot the 'old man' with the 'old fashioned' gun). If Taurus™ made such a crappy product I damn sure wouldn't be trusting my life to it each & every day!

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Wow, great to hear an LEO that shoots a revolver, much less a Taurus revolver. ;D Sometimes I feel like I'm the only shooter or armed citizen alive that really prefers revolvers, though I do have a few autos. I haven't seen an LEO in quite a while with a revolver in his duty holster, though I know a couple of local sheriff's dept. detectives that carry J frames. The world seems to be full of mall ninjas that won't own even an auto that don't have a stupid picante rail or whatever that stupid tacticool thing is. I can use a flashlight without it being on my friggin' gun ruining the balance, after all. Hell, here in Texas we dip our tortilla chips in picante, we don't put flash lights on it. ;D

My M85UL was my first Taurus, traded a Ruger P95 for it when I got my CHL in '96. It's in my CCW rotation along with a 3" Taurus 66 I carry IWB. I pocket the little snubby. It's always there and always ready.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
IMHO the big three, Taurus (Rossi), Ruger and S$W all produce high quality products, made with modern machinery and very little human intervention. Each company has its little niche, Taurus's are "cheap but work", Rugers are "built like a tank", S$W's are "finely tuned and gorgeous". They are all relatively inexpensive, barring custom models. Comparing todays revos by these manufactures to the hand fitted, highly lustrous product of yesteryear is not an apples to apples comparison, even within a particular brand. If want the revo of yesteryear it can still be had from a non mass production or pre-owned source, at a premium price. I feel that Taurus is making high quality products on par with the others but their marketing department doesn't have the luxury of a historical wave to ride, many times the Taurus bashers ride the same wave. As the Taurus bashers wake up or die off the wave will slowly dissipate. There will always be a lively difference of opion and debate over the big three, it's just part of the fun of being involved in shooting and the internet.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
S$W's are "finely tuned and gorgeous".
Appropriate statement, there. ;D

What modern revolvers lack in hand fitting and finishing, they make up for in formerly unavailable exotic metals and much stronger steel alloys. Titanium used to be unreal expensive and near impossible to machine. Now, titanium is almost affordable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Taurus M44 (44 Mag. 6" barrell, blued) and it is a great pistol. We also have a S&W model 28 and 629, these are also fantastic pistols as well. I believe the double action trigger on the S&W is much lighter and smoother, but since I shoot SA its not a bit deal for me. As far as cost, I purchased my M44 new for less then the S&W629 used and slightly more then the cost of the model 28(it looked like it was not even fired).

Overall, I belive that Taurs makes a great pistol for the price and if you plan on shooting alot, its probably a better buy then an equivalent S&W. However, if you are looking to buy pistols for collector value, I beleive the older Smiths may be the way to go.

I have several semi autos (FN, Walther, Sprinfield Armory, and CZ), but since I have not handled and Taurus semi's, I can't make a direct comparision to them fairly. I hope this is helpful.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
In my opinion, Taurus fills a unique "niche." They are definitely above the quality of the "cheap" guns, but they are less expensive than the Brand Names. Most folks who buy Taurus are looking for the "best bang for the buck!"

I have a FN Hi-Power. I personally wouldn't carry it, not because it isn't a good gun... it is a GREAT gun with a historical pedigree second only to the Colt 1911. Literally only Colt and FN can claim original rights because they were never "contracted" to produce the guns... they built them from the beginning.

However, SHOULD I EVER have to use a gun... I want one to be trustworthy, functional, and inexpensive enough that I won't cry if it gets confiscated until the investigation is completed. I've seen war stories of guys who have gotten their guns back from police holding with rust and crud all over them.

I'd miss my Taurus, but for the price, I'd go buy another one instead of waiting for release.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just tell people if they don't like what I got fine... but who else do you know that will give you a free one year membership to the NRA... dang sure buy a Taurus a year by those standards.

BTW I like this place, think I will stay a while ;D

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Welcome to the site, J.B.! Good to have a citizen of the big sky country here. Hope it ain't too cold up there to work the ol' trigger finger. :D

·
32,658 Posts
J B. Welcome to the forum. Let's not start the "It's so cold jokes. How cold is it"? The members will be running for the hills or mountains as they are called in some states. ;D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Qwiks draw I got a friend of mine that lives in Neshkoro... he has kept me up on just how cold it is over there.... It so cold that the bullets beg not to be shot in Wisconsin ;D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Nah, the bullets are afraid that they will end up in some old, frozen cheese that gets used for the backstops out that way.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Went to Wisconsin once to race my motorcycle in an AMA thing at Elkhart Lake, was in 81 when I was racing 250 pro. We were camped at a camp ground not far from the track. I heard some kids playing and water splashing, so I put on my bathin' suit thinkin' I'd take a tip and freshen up. Well, I stuck a toe in the water. I think the glacier had just melted. MY GOD it was cold! Those kids didn't act like there was a problem. Does all that cheese work like an antifreeze or somethin'? I just went to the camp ground's shower to freshen up, had a hot water tap. LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts