Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a conversation with a friend the other day regarding the purchase of his first and only Taurus. Seems he really wanted a comapct 40 but could not find what he was looking for. And yes, he is one of those guys that believed all the negative stuff about Taurus. So Jim was looking for a Sig or Glock or maybe even a S&W but was not able to find a model that he was happy with.

Long story short, good old Jim got talked into (by me) looking at the MillPro 40 as an alternative. I told him that I would pay him cash for it if he wasn't satisfied. Needless to say that good old Jim is now the proud owner of brand-spankin' new MillPro 40. Hence the thought behind my question; has Taurus enjoyed new sales because of the current situation?

I say it has.:D

·
Registered
19,174 Posts
Well I would say that all gun makers are selling more guns now then ever before.. Just my thought. The gun take away has caused me to buy more guns & ammo then ever before...

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I think Taurus has always sold about as much as they could produce.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I got my first Taurus becaus it was the only 1911 they had with all of the extra stuff on it instead of a regular G.I. model. My next 2 were because I was so impressed by my 1911.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I think with so many new customers in the market right now that Taurus can't help but attract a few of them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
With all thepolitical talk about banning this or that I think all gun manufacturers arerunning at full capacity, not just Taurus. I suspect some people are buying whatever is on the shelf when they can find the caliber they want.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
could be, but not in my case. went to my lgc and could have gotten any thing i wanted. after reading and watching vids, i knew i wanted th 24/7 g2 9mm and that is what i got. couldn't be more happy. the $100+ less in cost compared to the rest was just a plus and that made my honey happy (happy wife= happy life). :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's how I got here, I decided I wanted to carry a compact pistol instead of the colt detective special that I have carried for about 35 years as my ccw. The only 9mm I had was a stainless Beretta 92FS and it is just too long. I have been trying to find a M&P Shield or a Kimber Solo and was having a hard time finding either of them even before this last shortage, I found a few but were overpriced (over suggested retail) and I don't buy firearms over the internet. One of the local dealers got in a couple of the new Milenium G2 PT111's and he talked me into trying one, we took it to the range and tried it and I ended up buying it. I am liking this Taurus, I had stayed away from them because about thirty years ago a friend of mine liked my S&W 686 (still my fovorite handgun) and bought the Taurus copy, wo took them both out and shot them and I thought the only similarity was the looks. I think they have changed over the years. I am now carrying the G2 as my everyday ccw.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Here's a hot tip. If your a revolver fan, it's as good a time as any to get what you want. Pistol sales are off the hook and the prices are inching up. Revolvers seem to be just sitting in the cases collecting dust. My buddy just got an 85 snubby lite for $308 yesterday.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was waiting for my tax return to buy my second pistol. I had been interested in a mid sized 40s&W for years. I had my choices narrowed down to Ruger SR40, S&W Sigma and Taurus 24/7. I had been planing to get a pistol for years, and I had just moved to a more gun friendly state and with the political climate and the wierdness going on today, I decided it was time. I got my tax return and started looking at the local shops. First shop I went to that day had a PT840 in stock, instantly fell in love with it and bought it right then and there. Didn't even look at anything else. Now I love my 840 though maybe I might put that Ruger on layaway if my favorite shop gets one in.

So did the shortage make be buy the Taurus? Probably, because that was the one in stock, but there was a shiny new Glock sitting right next to it for $100 more and I didn't even pick it up.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Well I know this much I went to my LGS the other day and I've never seen his shelves so bare, he carries ALOT of taurus guns and even then most of his stock left were revolvers... including one M85 poly that had a white frame and green grips called the zombie model. I laughed at it I'm sorry =P he only had 3 semi autos in stock. A 24/7 G2 a PT140 and a PT92 duo tone that I haven't seen one of those in a LONG time. He had acouple judges a 22lr/22 mag convertable revolver afew 22 revolvers acouple 38's... you get the picture. His stock was easily down by about 80% if you didn't know better you'd think he got robbed.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Not sure about the panic bringing more, but think I got one yesterday at the range really hot for one. As I was prepping at range (unloading car and trying to decide which pistols to start with), man walked out to set his target and was finished rather quickly - as he walked by I said, "Wow, that was quick!" Said he just had to do some shooting but had so little ammo and cound't find any so was saving what he had left. Said bad part was his wife had been begging him to go to range and he hoped she wouldn't find out. Anyway, he had a beautiful; SigSauer 1911 SS .45 - it was a stunner, but to me, like all 1911, felt like a block or brick in my hand. I had decided to shoot my PT24/7CA first and handed it to him - it was funny to watch - I suspect the look on his face was same as mine first time I put a 24/7 in my hand - he couldn't get over how GOOD it felt, and loved the ergonomics - I suspect there may be a new PT24/7 in his future. I haven't held a G2 as yet, but do hope they feel as good as the Pro G1.

Reactions: Snug9mm

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
I have had a PT709 and a PT1911 for a long time. I have 2 9mm but only had the 1 .45. I wanted to have another .45. There had been another PT1911 sitting in an otherwise rather empty case at my LGS. I just kept looking and looking hoping no one would buy it before I had the money. Well the day came and there she was, still sitting there just waiting for me. That was my motivation for my most recent Taurus purchase. I would like to thank the big money brand snobs that left her in the case for me!

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
In my case, the answer is yes. But I "Came over to the dark side" back last summer. I was REALLY wanting a M&P Shield in .40 and none were to be found. I saw a 740 in the display case and fondled it. Sort of liked how it felt. Looked over other guns, but kept fondling the 740. Decided to give it a go and have been happy with it . Just recently picked up a used 454 with 8 3/8 barrel and for a 12 year old gun, it's in nice shape. So I guess you could say that I have no fear of taurus quality.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I suspect the look on his face was same as mine first time I put a 24/7 in my hand - he couldn't get over how GOOD it felt, and loved the ergonomics - I suspect there may be a new PT24/7 in his future. I haven't held a G2 as yet, but do hope they feel as good as the Pro G1.
Your experience was the same as mine. The 24/7 pro was the most comfortable semi-auto pistol I've ever handled. I just picked up the the G2C and it's not quite as comfortable but it's close. The grip is a little "fatter" but it still fits my small hand pretty well. I'm looking forward to shooting it if the weather will ever co-operate.

As far as the shortage bringing more people to Taurus, I'm not sure. In our little LGS there aren't any more Taurus than there are of the other "premier" brands and the price differential between Taurus and the likes of Glock or Springfield XD's isn't what it was 6 months ago.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Well, I guess it depends on where you live.... this is a picture I took Friday in the Bass Pro Shop in Orlando....

It is a big store and there are about 6 counters of handguns for sale.

Here is a picture of one of the counters and they were all just as empty as this one....

When there are no guns available they all get bought! Please, don't take me wrong, I am not knocking Taurus or suggesting a Taurus handgun would not be at the top of my list. I'm just saying you could probably sell Ravens, Jimenez, or Jennings for $200 apiece in today's market!

Don

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.