Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has fired BVAC rounds? It is cheap online and I was searching the forum to see if anyone has talked about it and I havent found anything on this forum only other forums. So I was wondering how it has fed through a Taurus firearm if anyone has or does use it?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Love the stuff. Shoot 9mm, .38 Sp, .45

Always goes bang, seems to be accurate enough. No more dirty than any ammo IMO.

Try to keep quiet about it though, it's hard enough to find as it is. :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love the stuff. Shoot 9mm, .38 Sp, .45

Always goes bang, seems to be accurate enough. No more dirty than any ammo IMO.

Try to keep quiet about it though, it's hard enough to find as it is. :D
I see SurplusAmmo has it in bulk... How often do you get FTF or FTE?

·
32,495 Posts

·
32,495 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
They have an outlet store in my town, and the plant is a mere 2-3 hr drive for me. The nice thing about them compared to HSM is BVAC has their own line of new ammo. My oldest bought a box of their .308 JSP, and got better groups than Winchester Super-X.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got some BVAC wadcutters for my Rossi 38 Special. To me, the rounds seem smokier than anything else I've used but no biggie. Kind of fun, actually. Also, there's some kind of residue that jammed the cylinder release after shooting only 15 or 20 rounds. A squirt of CLP and cleaning off the goop got it going again time after time. Never had that problem with other ammo. Other than that, no issues.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I see SurplusAmmo has it in bulk... How often do you get FTF or FTE?
I've run several thousand rounds altogether of the 3 calibers I buy.

To the best of my memory I don't think I have ever had a FTF or Eject with any of the BVAC ammo.

Most of what I have bought is the 9mm, both the JHP and FMJ in 115gr. By that in thousand round bulk.

Only issue I had is that the JHP will not chamber in my Walther PPQ. That has to do with the close tolerances on the gun, not the ammo, which shoots fine in all my other 9mms.

38 Special. To me, the rounds seem smokier than anything else I've used but no biggie. Kind of fun, actually.
I've noticed that as well with the 38Sp. I attributed it to lube burning off the hardcast lead bullets. My HCL reloads tend to be a little smokey. Never had the residue problem. Did it look like unburned powder?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've noticed that as well with the 38Sp. I attributed it to lube burning off the hardcast lead bullets. My HCL reloads tend to be a little smokey. Never had the residue problem. Did it look like unburned powder?
Not really, Jim... more like burnt powder or chimney soot. Much later, I realized I should have saved and inspected some of the spent cases but it was too late at that point. Next time I take it to the range I'll pay more attention.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Range Report: BVAC 9 mm 115 gr. FMJ, remanufactured

Shot 80 rounds of BVAC ammo today in my PT809.

1. First impressions:
    The bullet jackets seem more reddish than for WWB. The brass seems in good condition with no major blemishes. The brass near the bullet looks "fuzzy" or matte, but I think that's cosmetic. Headstamps are mixed, mostly WCC, and some Remington, IMI, and Speer. The count for both boxes was correct (50 each).

Pictures: BVAC left, WWB right.
    2012-01-24 19.47.57.jpg 2012-01-24 19.48.34.jpg 2012-01-24 19.50.06.jpg
  2. Firing
    The report of these rounds seems louder than WWB, but that could be all in my head. The gunsmoke smells somewhat unpleasant in comparison, but nothing to worry about. After firing, there is a small amount of smoke visible emanating from the chamber after firing, which I have not observed with WWB. No sparks flying forward unlike Monarch (observing other lanes at the range). No stoppages at all.
  3. Accuracy
    I shot 45 rounds, 5 rounds each starting from 15' to 45' in 5' increments (2 magazines at 30' and 45'). At 15' all five rounds went through the bullseye, with three rounds touching. The black 9-ring is 6" in diameter. Subjectively, this ammo seems feels somewhat more accurate than WWB & UMC. I'm sure some of the inaccuracy is me.
    2012-01-24 19.57.17.jpg
  4. Post-shoot
    This ammo seems dirtier than WWB. The feed ramp was completely covered in carbon, but after a spray of Remoil, most of it dripped off all by itself. The weapon was otherwise no harder to clean. The firing pin housing was fairly dirty, requiring many swabs to clean fully. I counted 5 brass shavings, but I had no light strikes.
This ammo seems quite adequate for my purposes, and I think I'll be getting more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks andreew for that review! seems like this ammo might be a little dirty but other than that works great. And for the price I think it is a good deal.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Forgot to mention in my previous post that the copper jackets for the bullets were shiny! Perhaps hard to see in the picture, but they were almost glowing. The WWB bullets were dull in comparison.

Jack Ross (Jack Ross Ammunition - Made in the USA - Wholesale, Large and Small Quantities) also makes remanufactured 9 mm. The price is very attractive; with shipping and no tax, it costs less than BVAC with tax (and a 3-4 hour drive). Any one has any experience with this brand?

·
Banned
893 Posts
I would never buy reman ammo because I alway find brand name cheaper or just as cheap. Why pay 10.46 for reman 9mm ammo when I can get new for 9.50.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would never buy reman ammo because I alway find brand name cheaper or just as cheap. Why pay 10.46 for reman 9mm ammo when I can get new for 9.50.
What new ammo are you getting for 9.50?

I just found Freedom Munitions Blaster line which has a training line of remanufactured ammo for $7.25 for 50 rounds plus whatever shipping is, but 1000 rounds is only $155. Now I dont think there is any BRASS CASED ammo that you will find anywhere near that price because lets face it I do not want to go with steel cased ammo in my guns.

Also it does not make sense to buy 50 rounds boxes online from anywhere. because once you add shipping on one box it is more than just going to the local shop and getting some. But once you get into buying bulk as I mentioned 1000 rounds for $155 plus shipping is pretty good. I just looked at the shipping to the zip code of College Station, TX for andreew. the total after shipping was $183.54 that is 18.4 cents per round. If you can find new factory ammo that is not steel cased for less than that then please share so everyone can get at it :) BVAC just came out to $186.66 for 1000 rounds but it is only 100grain.

andreew does Jack Ross do free shipping on 1000 cases? I just tried to do a price comparison for my list and to ship to College Station there was only tax and no shipping. When I did shipping to where I am in CA there was no tax and no shipping costs. If that is true Jack Ross is the winner! 1000 rounds shipped to me in CA for $159 15.9 cents per round! I think I just got myself in trouble looking at these prices because now it seems I need to buy more!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Totally agree that shipping 1 box of 50 is not worth it at all; without a "sampler", I am hesitant about Jack Ross. They ship for $12.50/case for a total of $171.50 to College Station. Their shipping for 1/2 to 1 case is free to CA (you!), UT, NV, and a flat $12.50 for everybody else. Half a case is cheap enough to try, but then again, I couldn't make it through 62 rounds of UMC Megapack without firing pin channel issues. Would be nice to get your range report for Jack Ross. The cartridges on their website sure look pretty!

Thanks for looking up Blaster for me. I didn't manage to find it by navigation, and I had to google for it. $183 all in is pretty good! I am guessing you checked out Surplusammo.com for the 100 gr.? Try BVAC at Cheaper than Dirt, they have 115 gr FMJs.

I'm very interested about this ammo for $9.50 a box too. I'm hoping that's brass, because Walmart sells TULAmmo for about that much, before 8.25 % tax. I do know that Natchez does sell (new) Blazer aluminum for $8.99 in quantity, and I could try that out easily.

·
Banned
893 Posts
What new ammo are you getting for 9.50?

I'm very interested about this ammo for $9.50 a box too. I'm hoping that's brass, because Walmart sells TULAmmo for about that much, before 8.25 % tax. I do know that Natchez does sell (new) Blazer aluminum for $8.99 in quantity, and I could try that out easily.
the ammo was 9mm PCM brass on sale a couple of months ago, I purchased 20 boxes. I always look for about 2 days before buying. I just purchased 10-40s/w & 10-.45acp with free shipping at Cabelas, I had a promo code for free shipping to the door for 269$. I am currently waiting for UPS to deliver. Natchez has fantastic prices but they won't sell to alabama folks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts