1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
276 Posts
Haven't tried it, but I certainly would! Looks to be pretty useful.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I have just used a flat of a small screw driver to press the follower unit down and then rotate the bushing. One of these looks nifty but a hate to buy something cheap and then have the postage cost about as much as the item.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gotta say, that is clever! I've been using a coin...or perhaps I should say, I've been chasing the coin and spring around the house when it shoots my coins across the room. A bit "attaboy" to someone for thinking a bit outside the box!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's one thing I've never had a problem with on my 1911, Now the plunger tube that holds the slide stop in must have a 5000 lb spring in it, cant do that one without a small flat blade screwdriver.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
You bet, thats one of those 5 cent pieces of plastic that says " Why didn't I think of that!" Works great. Try to replace your slide stop with the lever down, not touching the frame, and rotate up to lock in place. It's hard to explain, but once done, easy. IRISH

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess I've never had a problem with this. When I bought the PT1911, my dealer (a local IDPA and IPSC star) asked if I had ever taken down a 1911. When I said no, he showed me a great way to do it:

To remove the bushing totally, you turn the bushing counter-clockwise. Instead of removing it while the spring is there, push the bushing wrench enough to turn the bushing, and shift it clockwise until the bushing is just covering the lip of the spring retainer. This makes the bushing easy to move and still retains the spring and retainer safely. Put the bushing tool down, and simply place your thumb on the retainer and slide the bushing until it no longer covers it. Now the spring/retainer easily is controlled as it slides out.

I hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts