Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at my LGS, I spied a BNIB Taurus 17B6 revolver in .17 HMR at what looked like a reasonable price. I understand the round is super fast and splatters like crazy on impact. Just curious right now ... like I need another caliber to stockpile. 22 LR & S, 22 Mag (maybe tomorrow), 25 ACP, 38 spec, 380 ACP, 9mm, 45 ACP.
17B6.jpg

·
Registered
339 Posts
i own one just like the pic.
the Taurus website says its new, but mine is 8years old, must be a re-release.
i have crono-ed the 17gr ballistic tips and got an average of 1870fps from the 6" barrel.
even when shooting tin soup cans you can see that the exit hole on the off side is larger than the entrance hole by nearly double, yeah they pretty much blowup. 20gr hollow pooints are the way to go if you are shooting anything larger than squirrels. it's a blast to shoot, pretty accurate, no recoil.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Haven't shot one yet, but I want one to go with my rifle! I have a real nice Savage 93R17 in .17HMR and it is a tack driver. No wind indoor 100 yard range it puts 3 in a hole you can cover with the base of a .30 caliber bullet. If you shoot a squirrel with one of those 20 grain bullets, don't shoot 'em in the body if you want to keep the meat! They literally explode if you hit 'em at ranges shorter than 100 yards. Shoot 'em in the head and it literally disappears, leaving the rest intact.

I do wish they made it in 4" for easier field carry but I can see their reasons for not doing that.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have a SS model and I love it. It is very accurate scoped and havent had any issues with it. You wouldnt be disappointed with your purchase. I would love to find one in 17HM2 if they made one

·
Registered
339 Posts
Jim, what scope do you have on yours?

i have been considering adding a scope to mine, not sure what handgun scope is well suted to rimfires, maybe that doesn't matter so much.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I haven't fired one, but I will bet it's a blast to shoot -- pun intended! :D With that long barrel and the speed it's clocking, it would be magic for varmints.......

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I bought the 8" barrel Limited Edition stainless when it came out put a 2 X 8 weaver handgun scope on it. With the 17 grain bullets and a good rest crows at 100 yards are not uncommon. The bullets are not as explosive at that range from handgun length barrels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts