Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some on Amazon and had no idea they made them. They have them for lots of popular calibers. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried them and I'm wondering how they could have any accuracy?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I have seen those also. I doubt they would have any accuracy. The longest of the inserts I have come across have not been any longer than 3 or 4 inches. But who knows, I may be totally wrong (I have been wrong before, so I am told anyway)

CreekFisher

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
MissKitty, the ones for flare guns are very similar for shotguns from what I have seen. Around here people have em for training the hunting dogs. Put in an insert for .22lr and get your dogs used to your hunting gun going bang. But I have come across some that fire 9mm and .45's even...

CreekFisher

·
Registered
21,120 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've never seen these things before, but I followed the link and read the reviews. The thing that jumped out at me was 1) it's an unrifled insert - which makes sense. If you rifled something like that it would probably spin like crazy inside your shotgun's bore. A 2" smooth bore barrel isn't going to be too awful accurate, though. 2) There's no extractor on the insert, and I can imagine what the shell extraction tool is - a screwdriver or a long wooden dowel. 3) What happens if you use this in a break-open shotgun? Will it throw the inserts out on the ground every time you crack it open?

I look at something like that and ask myself 'why?' A couple reviewers mentioned using them to deliver the coup de grace to wounded deer, and that seems like a pretty good use for these inserts if you're hunting with a slug gun. Course you could do the same thing with a small pistol.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
There's a thread on here about the good old days of Sears and guns. That got me to thinking about the old FOUR-TENNER barrel. I know that in the old days the insert was barrel lenght. These new ones are chamber lenght and I would expect they would not tend to be so accurate. Here was my posting from the other thread.

Anyone remember the 4-10er barrel insert. You could slide it into a single shot 12 ga shotty and fire 410 rounds. In south western NY they were illegal durning deer season, i seem to recall they would chamber a rifle cartridge?????

found a Savage 410er on gunbroker??????
Early Savage 410er 4 10 Tenner Barrel Insert 410 : Shotgun Barrels at GunBroker.com

this one is still in the box.... damn and I dont have a single shot 12... just the old Iver 410
savage four-tenner 12ga. to .410 : Shotgun Barrels at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
28,673 Posts
I don't get it at all. If you want your hunting dog to get used to the bang and you're too cheap to use real ammo in your shotgun, carry another gun and fire that. Personally I've never worked with a gunshy dog. In my experience they're so excited to be in the field that their only response to the shot is to perk up and look for the retrieve.
I also don't like the idea of sub-caliber munitions. Is there a respectable study showing that they don't damage the gun?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I don't get it at all. If you want your hunting dog to get used to the bang and you're too cheap to use real ammo in your shotgun, carry another gun and fire that. Personally I've never worked with a gunshy dog. In my experience they're so excited to be in the field that their only response to the shot is to perk up and look for the retrieve.
I also don't like the idea of sub-caliber munitions. Is there a respectable study showing that they don't damage the gun?
Madkaw is looking more and more attractive ever day!

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Maybe I am just warped, but my thoughts immediately went to how criminals could use this to throw off forensics. No rifling means no striations right?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Maybe I am just warped, but my thoughts immediately went to how criminals could use this to throw off forensics. No rifling means no striations right?
Great point. Same concept as swapping barrels on any gun.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That sorta reminds me of John Dillinger. He had his fingerprints burned off with acid, but then he became the only guy walking around without fingerprints, so it didn't really help much. Same could probably be said for a bullet with no rifling marks, although probably not as definitively as could be done with the marks. It would certainly narrow down the possibilities.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
IMO - If they worked great, we would have them. I can see a 410 or 20ga sleeve used in a SxS or single shot, but not a rifle load. I would be concerned that a bullet might damage the smooth bore barrel. Also, chances are good that any sudden movement of the gun, like shooting it, would cause the bullet to hit the walls of the barrel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts