·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has shot the following rifles:

H&R Survivor

and

H&R Handi-Rifle

I'm looking for personal input rather than the many reviews I have read on them. I'm not saying they are bad, in fact they all been positive. I'm just looking to hear from someone who owns one and shoots one on a regular basics.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have shot the standard version, and it is a great rifle. Not sure about the one with the thumbhole stock though. But if it works well for you, you should be just fine....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a heavy-barrelled, wood-stocked one in .223 several years ago. I thought it shot fairly well, was very comfortable in my hands, and was easy to mount a scope on with the provided rail. Definitely more of a field gun than a range/bench-rest gun because of the break-open action -- part of the reason I traded it away. I have not shot one with the survivor-style stock, and I think in .308 I'd prefer a regular stock (I'd just put one of those elastic buttstock sleeves for holding extra ammo instead of using the buttstock storage).

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I dont have the ones you have listed but I have a 17HM2 in the Sportster model and a 500 S&W in the Handi Rifle. Both are fairly accurate guns that I like to shoot. The 17 will shoot MOA at 100 yds which isnt bad but my CZ 452 will shoot dime sized holes at that range so like I said pretty good for the cost. My 500 is a little less accurate (best I can do is 1.9" at 100yds) but I think that is a combination of my cheap hunting scope and the fact that it kicks like a mule. Great hunting rifle though. I have owned quite a few H&Rs over the years and have been thoroughly happy with them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have the Handi in .223 and like it.
Not an m.o.a. shooter but a good hunting rifle and easy to scope since its already railed. The barrels are finished a little rough but for a working rifle who cares. The only issues I've heard with Handi's are headspacings on the 243.

Cleaning couldn't get any simpler.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I own a handi with a 243 and 357 mag barrel the trigger is a bit stiff but other than that they shoot well enough to take out whitetails out west

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
I had a heavy-barrelled, wood-stocked one in .223 several years ago. I thought it shot fairly well, was very comfortable in my hands, and was easy to mount a scope on with the provided rail. .
+1 and I still have mine with a World Class 6x to 24x Target Scope Mounted on it. Very very accurate, but I don't shoot it very often anymore. Used it for Varmint Hunting. Prefer Bolt Action or Semi-Auto's these days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great to hear from all of you. With what I have heard and read, I will be getting Handi-rifle in 308 come June/July time frame.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay okay.....I'm stuck again.

I've done some more looking around and seen the HR 45LC/410 Survivor and now I'm second guessing myself. I'm not sure if I want one gun that shoots one type of bullet or one gun that shoots two types with one barrel.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Okay okay.....I'm stuck again.

I've done some more looking around and seen the HR 45LC/410 Survivor and now I'm second guessing myself. I'm not sure if I want one gun that shoots one type of bullet or one gun that shoots two types with one barrel.

HELP!!!!
In my experience, versatility is king. Get the one that will work best for the situations you will be dealing with. Having said that, two types of ammo out of one barrel is a good thing. Just take a look at the versatility of a revolver that can fire both the .38 spl and the .357 magnum.......

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Also you can send in the receiver to H&R and have them fit it with a barrel of your choice, like T/C. I think they usually run around $130 for the barrel and service. That adds infinite configurations and calibers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts