Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed it is hard to find primers these days ???? MidwayUSA is out of almost everything and every brand. No backorder either. My local place was very low or mostly out on everything and had nothing scheduled to arrive soon. Does anyone have any ideas? I was just wondering if it was my imagination or something deeper like NYC Mayor Bloomberg :mad: buying up all the primers so all my nice guns could be paper weights. I'm taking all suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
Went through this a decade ago due to rumors of political doom. Had to order 1000 primers and wait 90 days for delivery. Probably the same thing going on what with the OSHA threats to ammunition restrictions. People are stocking up, no doubt.

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
Same thing at my range hangout. They have some primers, just not the brand I normally use. Asked when they would have more of my brand and they just shrugged their shoulders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For what it's worth. I was told last summer by my reloading supplier that their would be a primer shortage because of the high demand the Iraq war was putting on production capabilities. Some companies like Winchester have government contracts which come before other concerns. It looks like what I was told is now happening. ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a box of 1000 Magtech SP and LP the other day and bought them both without hesitation. I usually use CCI and Winchester for all my reloading. I have not seen a Winchester primer locally in three months. I can find some CCI stuff local but only in 209 or magnum primers which I don't use. Powder is my next concern. Ramshot has dried up around here and IMR is getting harder to find in the these parts for me. Not alarming but I have spent a ton of time working up very specific loads with certain powders, with certain primers, with certain cases, with certain bullets, for my guns and my friends guns and I would hate to have to redo perfectly good loads just because I can't find something as simple as a 100 count box of primers or a pound of powder. I'm sure things will stabalize.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm lucky to live in a large metro area and have many local gun stores to shop at. I also have attended many gun shows to pick up reloading supplies. But since I've gotten to know one of the vendors I now buy directly from him, he's my "powder/primer" guy. :)
Currently, Cabela's has been my "Best Buy" for bullets. Berry's Plated and Oregeon Trail Laser Cast feed and fire real well in my guns. 8)

A shooter friend and I decided to go in for a bulk order to beat the the next price hike. So, on Tuesday I called and asked for 5K of WLP primers but he was out of stock, Wednesday he called and said I could pick them up this Friday for $20 per K, plus tax. ;D
Also, on Tuesday night I ordered a bunch of bullets, the UPS guy isn't going to like me next week. ;)

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts
At last weekends Gun Show, only one vendor had Primers (Winchester) and they were going for $24.50 per thousand, regardless of type. As I did not need them, I decided not to buy them and will look for better deals. Prices were up on everything at this show, so I did not buy too many things. (Fancy Grip for my AR and a Bulgarian Pattern AK Mag)

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
Awright. Was paying about $17.95 per thousand a month ago, now 24.95 per thousand. I think we just better get used to it. :fart:

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
No worse than gasoline, I guess.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thats not all. I sent 2000 brass to National Bullet Co. for 357 reloads. The bullets have been on back order for 7 or 8 weeks now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
wheelgun said:
For what it's worth. I was told last summer by my reloading supplier that their would be a primer shortage because of the high demand the Iraq war was putting on production capabilities. Some companies like Winchester have government contracts which come before other concerns. It looks like what I was told is now happening. ???
I was told the same by a Winchester Rep at my local gun shop about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
National Bullet Co. Noooooooo!

A year ago I ordered some from them and they always said waiting for more supplies.I emailed and called for months and they always said the same thing, next week.... Here is a site that talks about getting ripped of from National Bullet Company
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231055
If I did not get ripped of myself I would not say anythng and I never got my money back!

Rick

·
Registered
846 Posts
I hear down here alot its due to the war, but know about that, midway is almost always out them. I always find mine here at Alpine Range and Guns or Cabelas, you might try Cabelas on line order or maybe Cheaper Than Dirt. It's better to buy at 1000 guys you know your gonna use um.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts